Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, Jareth said:

Twas tongue in cheek. Scored 24 goals, got 3 yellows and 1 red the whole season - hardly a nasty player. I think his face puts people off. 

Yeah, I don't like his face either, but he has never lit up the Premier League!

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Twas tongue in cheek. Scored 24 goals, got 3 yellows and 1 red the whole season - hardly a nasty player. I think his face puts people off. 

I'm actually surprised that he only got 3 yellows and a red although I suppose you also have to factor in his retrospective ban for diving.

The playoff semi final he spent the entire game diving and fouling. He's a player I don't particularly like in terms of how he plays the game and I'm not sure he's good enough for the Premier League either. 

Obviously if he comes in I hope he does well but I'd rather we looked elsewhere to be honest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Well he couldn't get on a Newcastle team who were up against it in the Premiership.

Gayle is a very good championship striker.  Thats his level.

Can't argue with the premier league record - but same applies surely to Abraham, also Maupay who hasn't played there - all hit 25 odd goals in championship. If Villa interest genuine then  clearly DS thinks he can get a tune out of him...

I hope and do have faith that the recruitment team will be casting the net further than Championship players who have played well against us. As much as they're all good players in their own right, if we go into next season with Konsa (as a Tuanzebe replacement), Lolley, Maupay (as an Abraham replacement) and Phillips or whoever else as our additions to that playoff final team...I think we'd be in for a long season in the Premier League. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can't argue with the premier league record - but same applies surely to Abraham, also Maupay who hasn't played there - all hit 25 odd goals in championship. If Villa interest genuine then  clearly DS thinks he can get a tune out of him...

Abraham was 20 years old when he scored a few PL goals. Most players don’t get off the bench at that age.

8 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Gayle is a no from me, he's had his chance in the Premier League and not quite done it, at 28 by the time we'd had a couple of years out of him we'd be making a big loss on him.

He doesn't fit the profile we have set out, so I'm thinking this may be his agent trying to drum up some interest.

He's actually 29, 30 in October. Definitely doesn't fit the profile of what we are looking for. Maupay or Abraham far, far more likely. Fit the description as to what we are looking for.

Isn't he technically a Newcastle player in any event? Why would be talking to WBA about him? Maybe to ask what he is like behind the scenes, but then would you really trust what they are saying, particularly as they may seek to get him back again next season? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jareth said:

In fairness his face does put me off. Mainly on the basis that it is attached to Dwight Gayle. 

• Haha 3

Why would we speak to West Brom about him when he is on loan from Newcastle? Even if it is true we supposedly enquired before our play off game to me suggests it’s probably a championship signing we had in mind not PL. Either way I can’t see it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Could we raid leicester for Albrighton and Harvey barnes ?

No chance of Barnes. He started in 11 games following his return to Leicester. He's not taking a step down nor are they selling him yet. 

1 hour ago, Sid4ever said:

If we are looking at the sustainable route and given that hopefully JT will still be around for the coaching aspect, then Ryan Porteous from Hibs might be one to look at, I think @Villan4Life has mentioned him previously, and we all know how the last signing from Hibs is working out.

I did mention him previously @Sid4ever and he would be an excellent pick up.

The only problem is signing too many youngish players we need experienced heads to play alongside side them. We love mcginn ut even he has no Premier league experience. The balance has to be right

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

Could we raid leicester for Albrighton and Harvey barnes ?

Barnes would be a fantastic signing, but it's a no from me for Albrighton, I think we need to move on from the ex players personally

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No chance of Barnes. He started in 11 games following his return to Leicester. He's not taking a step down nor are they selling him yet. 

This. Unfortunately. Hopefully in time we will be a bigger pull than the Leicester's of this world.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only problem is signing too many youngish players we need experienced heads to play alongside side them. We love mcginn ut even he has no Premier league experience. The balance has to be right

This doesn't mean anything. The only thing that matters is ability + mentality.