Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

A player I would absolutely love is Steven Bergwijn from PSV as well. Huge talent and him and El Ghazi on either flank would be frightening, even in the PL. That would be a statement signing for sure. 

I honestly don't know how much pulling power we've got, but I know we have ambitious and wealthy owners, a big following, a very strong management and coaching team, and a few very decent players. I wouldn't be opposed to signing a couple of Championship players who could potentially step up, but I do feel a couple of statement signings (provided they had the right character and were prepared to work hard) would really push us on. Quality in the PL is essential and if you are lacking it you can quickly find yourselves struggling near the bottom. I'm sure with the right contacts and scouting in place we can quickly find the next Jota and Neves who would be prepared to come and play at this club in front of crowds of 40,000+.

In the middle of the park to replace Whelan/Jedi (to an extent Conor who could be a useful bench option) I'd like us to look at;

Thiago Maia (Lille)

Ivaylo Chochev (Palermo)

Diego Demme (RB Leipzig)

Should be able to sign  Mings (£10m)  , El Ghazi (£5m)  , Hause (£3m)  , and maybe  Axel (£15m)  (  I think United will spend big on CB's and his game time would be limited , as he is out of contract next year they may want to cash in)

based on previous rumours we might expect moves for Hayden (£20m) &  Maupay (£20m)   ..and possibly Lolley (£10m) 

it's a decent start , but equally that might cost us £83m(conservative estimate)   ... with still  more re-enforcements required   ... how much do we think the board will be prepared to spend ?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We need to perform a real balancing act this season - we need to bring in sufficient numbers and quality to maintain our PL place, whilst not bringing in so many that it unsettles the squad (a la Fulham)

Some posters are suggesting 12-14 new signings are required but I would be amazed if we did that in one window. I can see us signing the three loanees plus 4 or 5 others (plus Guibert) necessitated us keeping a few that many think will leave (Elmo, Taylor, Kodija, poss even Whelan) who we will need for cover. Hopefully a couple of youngsters (O’Hare?) can make the step up

Maybe a couple more of quality in Jan if possible and another 4-5 next summer

i hope I’m wrong but I can see us really having to battle next season but hopefully consolidate and move forward from there

Agree with all of this, even posted the same list of players we might keep in the 'outgoing 2019' thread!

We need some continuity, we need to hit the ground running and trying to integrate 10+ players will prevent that.

It's part of the reason getting the loan players permanently is so important, they are already integrated.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

No thanks to all these championship players, buy too many and you will end up with a championship team. Here's an interesting thing to think about... Amadou Diawara.

Would be all over this. Would fit perfect in the role sitting behind Mcginn and Grealish. Does anybody else remember us being linked with him when Dr Tony first took over? That was just a tad incorrect.

I've just read an article about him saying that Napoli would be willing to let him go for 20m Euro. 

We're going to be linked with so many players now though and literally nobody knows how much ambition we're going to show this summer. How much do people think we're going to have to spend? 50m, 75m , 100m??? Struggling to even guess myself. 

Edited by avfcwills10

Any thoughts on Santiago Ascacibar from Stuttgart? They got relegated on monday, which means he could probably be a bargain. I've only watched him a few times at Stuttgart, but I watched a lot of his games back when he played at Estudiantes. He's a beast and his profile fits exactly what he need next to McGinn and Grealish in the midfield. 

I'm also very interested in seeing what'll happen with Julien Fournier (the former executive at Nice). If he becomes a part of this club, we might be sitting on a goldmine. Nice has a ridiculous academy and ties to so many talented areas in France. They also have a squad were a few guys could become legit targets for us. 

• Like 1

If we are looking at the sustainable route and given that hopefully JT will still be around for the coaching aspect, then Ryan Porteous from Hibs might be one to look at, I think @Villan4Life has mentioned him previously, and we all know how the last signing from Hibs is working out.

• Like 1

Not to take over the thread but one player I'd definitely go for is Aribo from Charlton who's available on a free transfer, having watched him play a few times I can see why he's been linked to Man City and Arsenal,  he seems to have something of everything to his game, can tackle, dribble, pass, and gets in good goalscoring positions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Not to take over the thread but one player I'd definitely go for is Aribo from Charlton who's available on a free transfer, having watched him play a few times I can see why he's been linked to Man City and Arsenal,  he seems to have something of everything to his game, can tackle, dribble, pass, and gets in good goalscoring positions.

I like him a lot from what I've seen, which isn't much admittedly. 

21 minutes ago, useless said:

I watched the play off final an Di thought he looked very average to be honest. 

Some weak links with gayle. Can't see it myself

I dunno, I think Gayle would be fairly shrewd, at the right price. Maybe that was why he took the red - so he could come to us in the summer...

Edited by Jareth

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I dunno, I think Gayle would be fairly shrewd, at the right price. Maybe that was why he took the red - so he could come to us in the summer...

I don't think that's why he took the red at all.  Nothing to do with it.  He's a nasty little troll and not good enough for the Premier League.  Next.

• Like 2

Just now, Killeen30 said:

I don't think that's why he took the red at all.  Nothing to do with it.  He's a nasty little troll and not good enough for the Premier League.  Next.

Twas tongue in cheek. Scored 24 goals, got 3 yellows and 1 red the whole season - hardly a nasty player. I think his face puts people off. 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well he couldn't get on a Newcastle team who were up against it in the Premiership.

Gayle is a very good championship striker.  Thats his level.

• Like 1