Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Clearly a talented player - but looks more of a goal maker than scorer - played really deep v Leipzi 

Yes definitely I agree with that. However I don't have any issues with us going with Wesley, Kodjia and Davis as our options up front if we brought in Benrahma for example to bolster the wide forward positions. I think it's pretty clear we are setting up this year to score our goals from all across the front 5. McGinn is getting forwards at every opportunity, Jack gets up there as well and the wide forwards are clearly designed to be a major goalscoring threat simply based on the players we have recruited - gone are the days of last season with Elmo and Adomah smashing in 50 crosses a game to Tammy's forehead. I think if we brought in a CF focused on goals, our overall play could break down (unless they were a top tier link up man as well, in which case we are paying top $$ which seems unlikely at this stage of the window). I'm certainly not saying we couldn't improve with a signing like that, but I'd be happy to go ahead with what we have and give Kodjia opportunities, or even Davis. While the latter doesn't have much of an eye for goal his link play is superb and we could function well as a unit with him in there.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Yes definitely I agree with that. However I don't have any issues with us going with Wesley, Kodjia and Davis as our options up front if we brought in Benrahma for example to bolster the wide forward positions. I think it's pretty clear we are setting up this year to score our goals from all across the front 5. McGinn is getting forwards at every opportunity, Jack gets up there as well and the wide forwards are clearly designed to be a major goalscoring threat simply based on the players we have recruited - gone are the days of last season with Elmo and Adomah smashing in 50 crosses a game to Tammy's forehead. I think if we brought in a CF focused on goals, our overall play could break down (unless they were a top tier link up man as well, in which case we are paying top $$ which seems unlikely at this stage of the window). I'm certainly not saying we couldn't improve with a signing like that, but I'd be happy to go ahead with what we have and give Kodjia opportunities, or even Davis. While the latter doesn't have much of an eye for goal his link play is superb and we could function well as a unit with him in there.

I think you have highlighted a potential problem there...." Or Even Davis" ...ie a CF who doesn't get many goals. It's fine as long as the others chip in with goals - but if they don't the pressure goes onto the main striker.

The trick with Wesley will be how he links up - hopefully over time , he settles and feels the need to drop deep less ...we have other geniuses in midfield !!

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

I'm just off to bed but I'll share this thought with you. I've been supporting Villa actively since 1957 and even though we won the European Cup in 1982 I have never been so excited by Villa as I am tonight.

In 1982 I was ecstatic, but the realist in me knew that we hadn't got a hope of backing it up.

Tonight I'm going to bed secure in the knowledge that we're in good hands, Sleep well and enjoy the season guys and girls.

Why what do you know ? 😁

4 hours ago, hippo said:

I think you have highlighted a potential problem there...." Or Even Davis" ...ie a CF who doesn't get many goals. It's fine as long as the others chip in with goals - but if they don't the pressure goes onto the main striker.

The trick with Wesley will be how he links up - hopefully over time , he settles and feels the need to drop deep less ...we have other geniuses in midfield !!

You’re not wrong there, if the others are scoring then it’ll be fine, I’d like to see Kodjia at least given an opportunity, but in saying that if Wesley picked up a bad injury that has the potential to hurt us.

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Kemar Roofe is leaving Leeds for 7 million. Better business than Maupay

I disagree. Maupay is the better player already and is 3 years younger.

Resale value alone has him as the better deal for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Good thing about having squad depth and quality is no more putting out joke teams for cup games. Might actually get ourselves a decent cup run. 

I hope we play our strongest team in cup games.

Medical booked in at 4:00pm.

Hoping it’s just a touch of knob rot and not an STD!  🙏           Opps, wrong thread. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm just off to bed but I'll share this thought with you. I've been supporting Villa actively since 1957 and even though we won the European Cup in 1982 I have never been so excited by Villa as I am tonight.

In 1982 I was ecstatic, but the realist in me knew that we hadn't got a hope of backing it up.

I didn't listen to the realist in me back then!😊

It's all positive stuff now though. What a sensational window this is.