Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

37 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Well why isn’t Dean Del Boy Smith working his magic again then and fetching us 20 million for him? 

Because Old Brucie wrecked it & he may need time to piece it together in order to sell 

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was watching Audi cup and they said plan was for Bayern Munich to sign Werner on free transfer next season.

Bayern have history of these sorts of signings from rival German clubs so would expect a behind the scenes agreement.

Surely they will be looking to get some money in for him now then, rather than to see him head off to Bayern on a free in twelve months time.

I know that it's highly unlikely that we will see him rock up at Villa Park, but as we were already there yesterday, why wouldn't we try making a cheeky offer during the post match bier & bratwurst?😉

1 hour ago, useless said:

James Tarkowski, Andre Gray, Jota, Alfie Mawson, Adam Forshaw, Maxime Colin, have all gone on to do quite well elsewhere, they might not go on to be world beaters, but no one expects Brentford players to be as such. Only player they've sold for big money that's proved to be a flop is Hogan. People used the same idea to argue against appointing Smith as manager, and he proved that he didn't need their system to be a success.

I never said Smith was reliant on Brentford. I spoke about Brentford's system for recruiting players. I indirectly insinuated they don't have the clout to pull in top caliber players.

If you have read my posts on Smith I have either stated that prior to our interest in him, I was unaware of him, after researching him, I think he's a great asset.

It is yet to be proven, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised as I have an inkling to believe, that any football club that had faith and invested in him would reap rewards.

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Because they have two or three very good players and the rest are ok or bedding in for next year....when they sell their best two or three players again. 

Yep. Crewe Alexandra did the same thing for years - never got out of the lower leagues, but made money by producing a whole string of good players that got sold to top clubs - including our own David Platt. 

9 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I think there are going to be some very disappointed fans, when they find out there is no big name mystery forward. Leao was the one we were after but it looks like we will have to settle for someone more realistic like Maupay now. 

All this talk of Belotti, Zapata and Werner is really embarrassing. We have been stuck in the championship for 3 years and are one of the favourites to get relegated. No big name players are coming our way this summer. The club is not going to risk buying a £50m player for us to get relegated and have to sell them on the cheap next year. Get a grip lads! 

I know some big names have been mentioned but I don’t think that was the rumour.  It was a mystery striker who would cost a lot of money and break our transfer record.  People have then come to the conclusion that for that money it has to be a big named striker and floated names about.  We have also been interested in players like Leao and our club people have watched many players and fans have put 2 and 2 together and probably got 5.

i would be surprised if we aren’t after another striker, it makes sense, it aligns with everything we have done this transfer window around building the squad.  We look short in that area and would be a shame not to round out the squad for such an important season for us with a player that could make the difference.

i would hope we get another striker in, I don’t believe it will a big name like the names you mention but it still could be a player that could break our transfer record given the inflated transfer prices.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, John said:

Surely they will be looking to get some money in for him now then, rather than to see him head off to Bayern on a free in twelve months time.

I know that it's highly unlikely that we will see him rock up at Villa Park, but as we were already there yesterday, why wouldn't we try making a cheeky offer during the post match bier & bratwurst?😉

I’m not sure they do cheeky bids in Germany. However if we could fill in all the relevant bid forms in triplicate and provide the necessary official paperwork, then our offer can go into the system for official consideration. If our offer is acceptable and the paperwork is all deemed to be completed reich, then the player can be transferred. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Maupay off to brighton.  Shame, although im sure if we were in for him, he would have come to us over them.

He will score against us this season. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He will score against us this season. 

I’ll go for an outlandish counter prediction. He won’t score against us, he’ll flop in the Prem and Brighton will get relegated.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’ll go for an outlandish counter prediction. He won’t score against us, he’ll flop in the Prem and Brighton will get relegated.

I agree with the first 🤞and the last of the above. Shame he didn't get his dream move, but his loss is someone else's opportunity. 

• Like 1

Even if Maupay was our backup, and we eventually miss out on our number one target, that’s part of the gamble you take when risking it on a bigger name striker. I’m sure the club have a 3rd back up striker in mind anyway, probably even a 4th or 5th and I’d imagine they’re still going to be of high calibre. Except welbeck maybe 😁 

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

At a guess, and if I'm honest a bit of a stab in the dark, it's because of the way Brentford operates as a club. They produce a system that allows players to thrive.

They have a statistical and numerical analysis system which identifies players that are affordable and have traits to complement the Brentford system.

Take those same players out of the Brentford way and you often have a player who hasn't really established their talent on the world stage and will rarely go on to do so elsewhere.

sounds like Moneyball

I think the way Maupay scored his goals against us last season (3) showed he has the ability and tenacity to make it in the Prem.....I think he has the credentials to make his mark.

• Like 2