Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Another CB?

Smith must have some interesting formations in mind if true.

8-1-1? :crylaugh:

Luyindama allows us to play 3 at the back. Very comfortable on the ball and dynamic. Gives us option for 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or 5-1-3-1. I think this is where Smith wants to take us, a lot of progressive teams play with 3 CB's, our signings suggest this is medium term plan?

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

To reiterate an earlier poster Dan Bardell said this also on the Villa View podcast today. It does fit: Maupay wants to come and play under Smith as he could walk into an offer from Sheffield or Brighton which is likely Maupay's plan B. I think he is our back up option, I think we will offer for a very talented European forward, likely a right winger as it suits our system and we also stopped at £14m for Benrahma which suggests we have eyes for that position.

My money is on Florian Thauvin. 

You heard it here first.

Is that the same Thauvin that completely flopped at Newcastle - if so, no thanks.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Luyindama allows us to play 3 at the back. Very comfortable on the ball and dynamic. Gives us option for 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or 5-1-3-1. I think this is where Smith wants to take us, a lot of progressive teams play with 3 CB's, our signings suggest this is medium term plan?

Mings, Engels, Konza, Hause, Chester and another CB.

Can't see it.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is that the same Thuavin that completely flopped at Newcastle - if so, no thanks.

Yes. But things change, having played in the UK is likely a benefit. 

Can play either wing but plays on the RHS (is left footed). Scored 16 goals (4th highest in France last season) and 8 assists last season as a winger (that's more than Neymar for both), plays for France. He has been linked to Bayern Munich this window (and West Ham). 

Edited by thunderball

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Can play either wing but plays on the RHS (is left footed). Scored 16 goals and 8 assists last season as a winger. He has been linked to Bayern Munich this window (and West Ham).

I'd happily take the same Salah or De Bruine who flopped at Chelsea

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Can play either wing but plays on the RHS (is left footed). Scored 16 goals and 8 assists last season as a winger. He has been linked to Bayern Munich this window (and West Ham).

Bayern Munich pah, what do they know?

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Someone told me yesterday (fairly close to the club) that we’re still after one more striker that will break our transfer record. He believes Maupay is plan B.

Can’t see it myself...but exciting all the same.

Only true if he signs next Wednesday.

1 hour ago, John said:

As McEnroe once said "You cannot be serious" in making a comparison between Hogan and Jimmy Greaves.

Did you ever see Jimmy play (live or recorded)? He had a bit more to his game than being just a "goal poacher", although he admittedly did score goals for fun as well. Jimmy was one of England's best ever strikers and was arguably the best, would Hogan be considered one of Brentford's best even? 😮

No Way, the best ever was the great Jim Towers, and yes I did see Jimmy play live many times, and I was only using the "goal poacher" saying as a quote, Jimmy was one of the best ever strikers as well as a great goal poacher, and certainly Hogan was/is nowhere near as good, as never has been, there was only one Jimmy Greaves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Presume you are doing the modern ironic joke thing of repeating something (again) that others have clearly explained is untrue.

Ironic joke? It's how Boris got to power and why we're leaving the EU!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jonjon said:

No Way, the best ever was the great Jim Towers, and yes I did see Jimmy play live many times, and I was only using the "goal poacher" saying as a quote, Jimmy was one of the best ever strikers as well as a great goal poacher, and certainly Hogan was/is nowhere near as good, as never has been, there was only one Jimmy Greaves.

So would you take 10million and hogan back for Maupay?

31 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Luyindama covers like 18 positions apparently so could feasibly be a goer 

He'd be our best CB/CF combo since Samba! 

52 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Can play either wing but plays on the RHS (is left footed). Scored 16 goals (4th highest in France last season) and 8 assists last season as a winger (that's more than Neymar for both), plays for France. He has been linked to Bayern Munich this window (and West Ham). 

I know but I'm always hesitant once someone fails in the PL however good they might go and become in another league, some people are just not suited for the culture here.

Have there been any examples of someone coming to the PL, flopping and then coming back later in the future to do well?