Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

I think people underestimate what good teams Sheff Utd and Norwich are. We had to buy this many players in order to stand still. Luiz, a GK, another MF and ST will see us improve I think. Those teams have good settled teams already and know how to play together. That counts for a lot. I think Norwich especially will surprise a few.

They had very good seasons last year in the Championship, but for me like Cardiff they will find it hard to do enough to stay in the PL, with much the same team they had last year. 

We have acted in this transfer window to strengthen, what for me was a team that would have been a match for both of these clubs, had we only replaced the loan players we couldn't sign again and been otherwise like them, pretty much unchanged from last season. 

I expect both of these teams to finish in the bottom six. I back us to finish above them both and hopefully outside the bottom six, with the work we have done and plan to do in this window. 

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Funny to think that Alf Ramsey's (then innovative) 4-3-3 side were dubbed 'wingless wonders'. Smith's 4-3-3 is definitely not wingless. 

I agree. It's not like their flying without Mings. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He is the goal keeping equivalent to Sturridge. Probably best avoided unless you like big medical bills. 

I'm what way? It looks like he played mainly full seasons at Genoa apart from one. It doesn't read like he's out injured for large periods every season. 

I see Darren Gough on Talksport yesterday and Villa supporting Rupert Bell this morning, said that Big Sam had been wrong to say our spending mirrored Fulham's last year. Some rare sense talked there. 😉

Mattia Perin's injury history taken from Transfermarkt, doesn't look great and would mean he's current injured?

I actually suggested him earlier in the summer but reading his injury history I'm not so sure anymore

Season    injury                                   from                    until                Days      Games missed

18/19    Shoulder Injury                         Apr 16, 2019      Nov 18, 2019   216 days        7Juventus FC

18/19      Shoulder Injury                         Apr 1, 2019        Apr 8, 2019       7 days            2Juventus FC

18/19      Ankle Injury                               Mar 22, 2019     Mar 26, 2019   4 days               -

17/18      Adductor problems                  May 8, 2018       May 15, 2018   7 days            1Genoa CFC

16/17      Cruciate Ligament Rupture   Jan 8, 2017         Jun 30, 2017   173 days         21Genoa CFC

15/16      Cruciate Ligament Rupture    Apr 11, 2016      Aug 18, 2016   129 days         7Genoa CFC

15/16      Shoulder Injury                         Jun 8, 2015        Oct 15, 2015    129 days         7Genoa CFC

14/15      Minor Knock                             Apr 2, 2015         Apr 16, 2015    14 days           3Genoa CFC

I doubt Perin would come cheap and would say 15m Euros spent on him represent a better deal for us than forking out enough to bring in Butland?

They both have international caps, but Butland has more games behind him and we haven't had too much luck with signing keepers such as Gollini of late, have we?

I also fear that Perin would regularly trot out lame excuses for being late for training such as:

"11 minutes late, staff shortages Nine Elms"

11 minutes late, somebody had stolen the lines at Surbiton"

"17 minutes late, defective bogey at Earlsfield"

"17 minutes late, water seeping through the cables at Effingham Junction - there was a lot of Effingham and a good deal of Blindingham

"22 minutes late, badger ate a junction box at New Malden"

"22 minutes late, fed up by train delays, came by bike. Slow puncture at Peckham." 😀

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Perin I think has great quality, but his injuries are a concern. If we could maybe get him on loan would be the safer bet, though if he is a sick note Steer will play a lot (or Kalinic). Might save us a bit though and we could then invest in another quality attacking player.

• Like 1

I once worked with a lad whos surname was Perrin. 

His parents must have liked Worcester sauce because his first name was Liam. 

Edited by av1

22 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Perin I think has great quality, but his injuries are a concern. If we could maybe get him on loan would be the safer bet, though if he is a sick note Steer will play a lot (or Kalinic). Might save us a bit though and we could then invest in another quality attacking player.

at 84 overall would be comfortably our highest rated fifa 19 player...higher than pickford...that's good enough for me

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Mattia Perin's injury history taken from Transfermarkt, doesn't look great and would mean he's current injured?

I actually suggested him earlier in the summer but reading his injury history I'm not so sure anymore

Season    injury                                   from                    until                Days      Games missed

18/19    Shoulder Injury                         Apr 16, 2019      Nov 18, 2019   216 days        7Juventus FC

18/19      Shoulder Injury                         Apr 1, 2019        Apr 8, 2019       7 days            2Juventus FC

18/19      Ankle Injury                               Mar 22, 2019     Mar 26, 2019   4 days               -

17/18      Adductor problems                  May 8, 2018       May 15, 2018   7 days            1Genoa CFC

16/17      Cruciate Ligament Rupture   Jan 8, 2017         Jun 30, 2017   173 days         21Genoa CFC

15/16      Cruciate Ligament Rupture    Apr 11, 2016      Aug 18, 2016   129 days         7Genoa CFC

15/16      Shoulder Injury                         Jun 8, 2015        Oct 15, 2015    129 days         7Genoa CFC

14/15      Minor Knock                             Apr 2, 2015         Apr 16, 2015    14 days           3Genoa CFC

The days injured stat is exceptionally misleading, and i would argue that its incorrect, as they cant know if his injury was such a long time out of season.

Looking at games missed rather than days, he has only missed a significant number of games once.

Seems sensationalist to suggest he is a sick note or like sturridge.

The multiple occurrences of a shoulder injury in a gk though would put me off as this will deteriorate with age.