Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Marvelous, Phillips and Luiz can all play as a DM or further forward in midfield, so if we signed two of those for example, playing one wouldn't necessarily preclude the other from playing. For some games we might feel we need a more traditional midfield three, rather than having Grealish there, who could play further forward.

33 minutes ago, striker said:

The difficulty will be finding another DM who is willing to sit on the bench. That’s why I think Villa should hold onto Bjarnson as a squad filler.

He’s clearly not good enough, can’t be relied on. I’d prefer a proper DM to rotate with the starter but I’d rather we stick one of our defenders there rather than Bjarnason.

He can do a job coming off the bench for one of the more forward positions, CM or even on the wing, but I think we should offload him and allow him to enjoy his football somewhere else where he can be a starter.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, John said:

To outsiders who take just a cursory glance at our transfer dealings, they just see that both clubs came up after winning the play-off final and bought a lot of new players having won promotion.

It's lazy of pundits to rush to the conclusion that we will follow them back into the Championship as a result.

I hope more and more people make these lazy comparisons and underestimate us.

I don't think we saw as much of the 'big team bias' that I was hoping in the Championship, so it'll be nice to go into a season being the underdog again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, striker said:

The difficulty will be finding another DM who is willing to sit on the bench. That’s why I think Villa should hold onto Bjarnson as a squad filler.

i'd have rather given whelan another year than play bjarnson

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I find it funny when people talk about back up this and back up that. Any player we sign should be coming here with the sole intention of wanting to start. 

If a player starts it means he is the one in form and good enough to start. Even if it’s at the expense of Jack Grealish etc.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, supermon said:

idrissa gueye going for 28m to psg apparently, how much did we let him go for 

£8m I think, but that was because of a low buyout clause in his contract in the event of relegation. 😢

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Still think we need:
1 x DM
1 x RW/LW
1 x ST
1 x GK

I know everybody keeps saying 'doing a fulham', and whilst this might not be true in the sense that we actually needed to buy players to be able to field a team, we are integrating a helluva lot of new players into the side.
If the likes of Wesley, Trezeguet, Engels, Konsa, Targett struggle, we'll be in for a very long season indeed. 

I know it's great fun signing foreigners for big money but I must say I'm very nervous about how they'll integrate. This season could be as much a disaster as it could be a success. (kind of stating the obvious I know).

To us it will be a success so long as we stay in the premier, yet if we just stay in the prem others will still say we failed as there's no pleasing anyone. We have spent alot and in my eyes so long as they keep us from being relegated we have done the tough task but those who are not fans of us, pundits, media, basically everyone else will keep throwing that Fulham jibe at us thinking we have failed when really all our Owners will want for now is to keep alive in the top flight.

With the amount of players we let go after winning promotion it was rocket science to see that we were always going to spend a small fortune. We had to replace what we had let go, we had to replace with better quality and when you do let nine players go I am shocked that the people throwing that Fulham crap out couldn't see this one coming.

I would say we have spent the money wisely in players that are more than very capable. We could of started splashing 30 to 40 mill on a player and it would of tripped the Fulham crisis and we most certainly would of failed then because top quality thrown together doesnt guarentee success.

Only time will tell on whether we have done the right thing or not, good coaching and management with the players brought in will be key here, can Smith show this league what hes truly made of? i think he can.

Read some article about some guy saying having that many different cultures in the premier is indeed tough to control and you shouldn't do it like we have and we will basically fail because of that alone as there's to much management to be done in that terms. I don't agree with what's been said and while yes the language barriers can be a problem, I don't think any of the players we have signed cant speak English very good at least so it shouldnt be a problem.

To all those already thinking we've failed, I am looking forward more to the season in hope that we go out and prove them how wrong they are. If we pull it off then they will be eating more than there words, they will start to fear us on the pitch again because at this moment in time tbey just see us as a sticky taped team put together as quickly as it got ripped apart after the play off final. we've kept our core and we always knew the team was going to be built around the likes of Grealish and Mcginn, now it has and were pretty much set on paper our squad could more than do abit of damage on the field. 

I would say we most certainly need 1 more decent striker, we do need a right winger as well to compete with Jota, we need two to three more midfielders and most certainly a keeper for competition with Steer. How long is left on the transfer market,, a month??? there's still plenty of business that can be done between now and then and I'm sure we will be seeing some more excellent signings along the way.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

What was that, Dave?

Sorry about that everyone don't know why it did that on my phone and duplicate it about four times.

• Like 1