Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

That Ruben Alcarez link just looks like lazy journalism. Any half decent Spanish player because of Suso. 

Watching that interview with Smith and Purslow, no way in hell will we be buying a 28 year old who's barely played top level football in his own country. 

Picking off these sorts of teams is the right idea but not the likes of him who'll have no long term benefit. May as well go for Milner as the experienced signing with no retail value if we do pick up one or two like that but listening to that interview. Most signings will be 25 or under. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Not sure what Deano's plan is, but looking at what we need and have:

GK - Kalinic & Steer

LB - New Player & Taylor

CBL - New Player & Hause (Mings - 10-20m?)

CBR - New Player & Chester (Tuanzebe - ?m)

RB - Guilbert & Elmo

DMC - New Player & New Player/Whelan? (Phillips - 15m? / someone else??)

MC - McGinn & Hourihane

MC - Grealish & New Player/O'Hare/Lansbury (i did initially put O'Hare here, but we likely need a decent player to challenge for those for midfield 2?)

AML - El Ghazi & New Player/Youth (Benhrama/other?)

SC - New Player & Davis/Kodjia (or new player?)

AMR - New Player & Adomah (Lolley - 15m? / other?)

To be fair, we need a good overhaul, we probably need to spend 50m just to get our key loan players permanent?

We really need to spend wisely, the more i look at what we need, its quite boggling!, but we defo dont want to do a Fulham and sign 11 new players and the whole team falls apart.......

We need to spend, and spend wisely.

We do need to really strengthen for sure and wether that will cost us £50m or £200m I don't think we will emulate Fulham in just blowing it.

GK - Kallinic, Steer, Nyland

DR - Guilbert, Elmohamady

DC - New (Tuanzebe?), New

DC - New (Mings?), Chester

LB - New, New  {Taylor won't cut it)

DCM - New, New (Milner?)

AMR - New, New

MC - McGinn, New

MC - New, Hourihane

AML - New (El Ghazi), New (Lookman?)

AMC - Grealish, New

ST - New (Abraham), New

ST - New, New

(Tuanzebe *£15m, Mings *£10m, Milner *Free, El Ghazi *£15m, Lookman *£20m, Abraham £20m)

I think if we spent £60m-£80m on this spine it would be a good start whilst looking at other fresh and young upcoming talent or even talent from abroad till fill the gaps of the other players needed?

18 hours ago, jasoncb said:

Can't see us paying more than 7mil.

The less the better on all of them really but Lille* won't let him go that cheap I don't think.

Edit: Lille* - not Ajax! :lol:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Wezbid said:

That Ruben Alcarez link just looks like lazy journalism. Any half decent Spanish player because of Suso. 

Watching that interview with Smith and Purslow, no way in hell will we be buying a 28 year old who's barely played top level football in his own country. 

Picking off these sorts of teams is the right idea but not the likes of him who'll have no long term benefit. May as well go for Milner as the experienced signing with no retail value if we do pick up one or two like that but listening to that interview. Most signings will be 25 or under. 

I agree.

Having a workhorse talisman tearing up the pitch in McGinn whilst having a workhorse talisman shoring up the defence and keeping it tight in DM in Milner.

I know he is 30+ but for £0 he still offers something at PL level and for our first season back he could still do a job and offer vital winning experience to our young new squad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Given he's on loan fron Lille, Ajax would take anything we give them!

You are correct chap, it was Ajax who had him as a youngster which confused me.

I suspect Ajax might have a little sell on clause in there though perhaps.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The less the better on all of them really but Ajax won't let him go that cheap I don't think.

Thought the rumors going around were ~5m option for El Ghazi, and 2m for Hause. Of course "rumors" being the key word, but if that's true it seems like a no brainer for both, especially with the lack of numbers at both spots.

Hopefully the buyout was sorted long before the run of form!

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thought El Ghazi was loaned to us with a £ 5 million buy out clause optional. Did I dream all of that ?

No that's the impression I am under and boy is that a bargain I. Today's market. 

Speaking of no loans only loan if take is axel. We know what he can do here and he fits in so well. United won't sell him just yet but if we can get him and see how good he would be at thisevel on loan then suits all parties I think. 

I don't want any other loans

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No that's the impression I am under and boy is that a bargain I. Today's market. 

Speaking of no loans only loan if take is axel. We know what he can do here and he fits in so well. United won't sell him just yet but if we can get him and see how good he would be at thisevel on loan then suits all parties I think. 

I don't want any other loans

I think loans are fine as long as there's an option to buy at the end of the loan, look at Jiminez and Johnny at Wolves last season.

We need to plug a lot of gaps in the squad, loans can be useful way of doing this without spending a fortune in one summer and getting caught with FFP issues down the line. Also, if a loan doesn't work out it hasn't cost us a fee and 4 years worth of wages, see McCormack...

I'm not saying all loans, but a few to supplement other signings could work well

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

if a player is only scoring 11 in Portugal, i wouldnt hold out much hope for them being prolofic in the Prem.

Could be wrong tho, always players that buck the trend.

Raul Jimenez has done OK 😉

From the comments in the interview with Purslow and Smith, they already have a very good idea of which players they want to bring in. I’d suggest as others have that the loanee’s with options to buy will be the first set of business. Ming’s, El Ghazi and Hause. I also believe they’ll go hard on Tuenzebe and Abraham. Chelsea were ready to sell Abraham to Wolves in January so even with the possible transfer embargo and comments by the player, I think he will be a Villa player. If we can bed those five players down we will be in a good place. I think we will cherry pick some young talent from the championship who are ready for the premier league 2-3 players, then I think will go out to sign 1-2 very good players either with PL experience or from Europe. There’s a few young starlets in the Dutch and German leagues who want to play in the PL and if the right player would love to see them at Villa.

• Like 2

Just caught up on the last 20 pages or so. 

The number of people who want us to sign Mitrovic is shocking, the guy is pants. Watched Fulham a fair bit and they do create chances despite getting easily relegated. Mitrovic missed an abundance of chances, some shots ended up further from the goal than his starting point. 

He scores a fair amount in the championship but the standard of defending and goalkeeping is much higher in the premier league. You need movement and finishing skills more than pushing and shoving skills. 

There's a reason guys like him score loads in the championship but struggle in the top flight. Gayle and Abraham fit that profile too. 

I'm so glad we won't be loaning players unless there is an option to buy. About time we moved away from this model. 

The interview with CP and DS that's trending is absolutely tremendous. You should all watch that. 

I also love the fact that CP said the policy of developing players for other clubs with loans, then being quoted a higher price if you wanted to buy, was a bad business model. I interpret that as we won't be doing that anymore at all. If we loan anyone it will be with a set transfer clause that we can activate if it's a success. This bit pleases me a lot, cause I **** hate loans with passion, exactly cause of this. 

• Like 2

I thought I would do a little analysis of our playing staff while thinking about who we need over the summer. Today I have looked at the goalkeepers. I can't say that I have reached any conclusion different from any of the other fans on here have but here are my thoughts:

Goalkeepers Overall  – Although we don’t seem to have a really top quality keeper, we already seem overstocked in this department and I don’t expect us to invest again when there are so many other greater needs. The only way I could see us making a move for a better keeper was if we were able to move on some of our current keepers for a decent fee which seems unlikely this window.

Mark Bunn (34) – contract (2019) – third rate keeper who has never looked good enough for the first team. Verdict: Expect him to leave on a free transfer.

Matjia Sarkic (21) – contract (2020) – Youth team keeper. With Nyland expected to return to fitness in the summer, unless one of the three keepers ahead of him leaves he won’t even have the role of third keeper. Verdict: Sarkic might be best advised to go out on loan to get some experience. That way he could show Villa he is worth a new contract or other clubs that he can make it.

Jed Steer (26) – contract (2020) – Is he a premier league keeper? Reads the game well and comes to the edge of his box quickly. Distribution is OK and has a long kick on him. Good handling. Has the occasional clanger in him but has not been punished for them this year. Good shot stopper but then we all expect that! Needs to dominate a crowded area better. Has built up a good rapport with the rest of the current defence. Verdict: Should be fighting for the No.1 spot. Villa should extend his contract so we can either keep him or get a fee when he moves on.

Orjan Nyland (28) – contract (2021) – looked out of his depth after a few matches in the championship, was rooted to his line to such an extent that the admittedly feeble backline in front of him and the fans lost confidence in him. Was showing some improvement under Cutler’s coaching before his injury. Has the best distribution of any of our keepers but needs to have radically improved taking high balls, crosses and coming out of the 6 yard box to even be a consideration in the prem. Verdict Likely to be staying as his injury would make it hard to move him on over the summer. I would expect him to be unhappy with being no.3 keeper which is all I would see him as.

Lovre Kalinic (28) – contract (2023) – Hasn’t really shown us what he can do. For someone of his height he didn’t show us a real dominance in the air but he did look slow getting down to some low shots. His distribution was noticeably not as good as Nyland’s when he arrived but he did look better in other departments. The defence as a whole did improve when he got injured and Steer came in. However, he hadn’t had time to settle and didn’t play enough games before his injury to really judge his ability. He does have the advantage of being a Smith signing so Smith may be more inclined to persevere with him to back his own judgement. Verdict Fighting for the no.1 spot. I'm still hoping he comes good.

Bunn and Nyland are surplus IMO! Young lad has potential, Steer made huge progress when he came back from Charlton and Kalinic is a class keeper; just unfortunate to be playing in front of the defence we had at the time.

Another string in DS's bow though to keep with Steer even when Kalinic was back to fitness....the message that sends to everyone in the squad is huge!  You want the shirt?? Go and earn the fecker! 

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 1