Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

20 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

A quality keeper isn't an option, it's an essential. Steer is not Premier class.

Personally think he would be OK for next season, not great though and definitely somewhere we can improve on. Given it is such a key position, I would prefer it being sorted now rather than running a risk with it. 

22 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I suspect it will be GK or ST but we won't be held to ransom over them. 

I think we’ll get both in. Having necessary cover in every position is good risk management against relegation and spending more actually decreases risk. 

I think we'll sign Heaton, Phillips, Luiz, Benrahma and Leao... Or alternatives, but definitely players in those positions, wouldn't surprise me if the striker ends up being an high profile name on a loan with an option to buy.

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

I think we’ll get both in. Having necessary cover in every position is good risk management against relegation and spending more actually decreases risk. 

Again, I agree, but I suspect that Smith thinks that one of either Wesley/Kodjia/Davis/RHM or Steer/Kalinic/Nyland will be good enough for next season. 

It could be that Purslow was toying with people and we are actually in for both - but that is something that is rather good about us at the moment; we are simply just getting business done. Absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

Sam Allardyce on TalkSport showing why he'll never get a top job again. Showing he has no idea how Dean Smith and his team work and showing he

has no idea about how Aston Villa work. In fact he is showing he has no idea!!!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Sam Allardyce on TalkSport showing why he'll never get a top job again. Showing he has no idea how Dean Smith and his team work and showing he

has no idea about how Aston Villa work. In fact he is showing he has no idea!!!

I get the idea you think he has no idea...

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Completed Loans - Hause, Mings & El Ghazi

Important this when looking at the summer as a whole. These three are only technically new players. They all played their part in getting us up.

This isn't like selling our best players for lots of money and not lots of money (Benteke/Delph) and needing to spend it wisely. We've let go of older players and brought in better players.

Even where there's no replacement yet it's still an upgrade imo. Not having Bunn is an upgrade on having Bunn for example :P

but Guilbert lloks good and better than 30 year old DeLaet. Targett is better than Hutton. Konsa>Richards. Engels will hopefully prove an upgrade on Elphick. Jota>Adomah. Wesley has big boots to fill but it looks like a decent signing already to me. He's no Gestede that's for sure. Who knows how he'll measure up to Tammy and hopefully Konsa/Engels will prove a decent replacement for Axel. Trezeguet means we're not looking to Green first option off the bench. We've got stronger than we were. Whether it's enough to survive, well we'll find out eh? But if we go down we'll be stronger, as a squad, than when we went up.

McGinn, Grealish and Hourihane aren't just making up the numbers even if Taylor and Elmo play less regularly. Kodjia will look good on MOTD a few times.

I've been really impressed with it all so far.

If the rumours around the Marvelous deal are true and we're trying to free up cash by chucking player deals in then can we find takers for Kalinic, Hogan and Bree? Can't see the nippers being short of offers on loan. Perhaps BB might free up some cash? Be surprised if Lansbury went anywhere at this stage.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Troglodyte said:

Ironically that post gives me no idea what Allardyce said. 

He said we had made far too many signings and it will be too hard to integrate them. He thinks we should have spent £100m on 2-3 signings.

He seems to have forgotten how many were released!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

What a negative post. Maybe concentrate on where we’ve strengthened and give yourself a break? DM needs addressing and I’m sure it will be. 

Why sugarcoat it when it was a response to a post that indirectly said DMC wasn't a weak area.  Even if we sign Luiz, we should get in another midfielder to be in rotation with McGinn and Luiz. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

If the rumours around the Marvelous deal are true and we're trying to free up cash by chucking player deals in then can we find takers for Kalinic, Hogan and Bree? Can't see the nippers being short of offers on loan. Perhaps BB might free up some cash? Be surprised if Lansbury went anywhere at this stage.

The way I read this was that we were willing to overpay to make sure he got a work permit, but wanted to claw the money back on a loan fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old demon eyes is right, buying a load of players and trying to integrate them hardly ever works. But we unfortunatley didn't have any choice in the matter because of the poor transfer policy of Bruce, Wyness and Round. If things go horribly wrong for us, which they could do, then he could end up being our manager before the season is over, hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

He said we had made far too many signings and it will be too hard to integrate them. He thinks we should have spent £100m on 2-3 signings.

He seems to have forgotten how many were released!

He is right, we should have identified 2 or 3 players, ones who all have the same agent, an agent who is perhaps a close friend or family member. We then should have primarily spent our entire budget on this agent clients, dishing out very healthy signing on fees to his agent...erm...I mean client.

Allegedly.

I was listening this morning, it did amuse me when talking about Joelinton and bemoaning the fact (crooked) managers no longer have much of a say in transfer dealings anymore.

I do wonder why big Sam..

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why sugarcoat it when it was a response to a post that indirectly said DMC wasn't a weak area.  Even if we sign Luiz, we should get in another midfielder to be in rotation with McGinn and Luiz. 

Don’t tell me what I didn’t say. 

Just now, useless said:

Old demon eyes is right, buying a load of players and trying to integrate them hardly ever works. But we unfortunatley didn't have any choice in the matter because of the poor transfer policy of Bruce, Wyness and Round. If things go horribly wrong for us, which they could do, then he could end up being our manager before the season is over, hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

Exactly. He has made some valid points but just totally misses out the part we had no choice because of how small our squad was. 

As if a newly promoted team is in a position to sign 3 players for 100 million!