Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Still think we need:
1 x DM
1 x RW/LW
1 x ST
1 x GK

I know everybody keeps saying 'doing a fulham', and whilst this might not be true in the sense that we actually needed to buy players to be able to field a team, we are integrating a helluva lot of new players into the side.
If the likes of Wesley, Trezeguet, Engels, Konsa, Targett struggle, we'll be in for a very long season indeed. 

I know it's great fun signing foreigners for big money but I must say I'm very nervous about how they'll integrate. This season could be as much a disaster as it could be a success. (kind of stating the obvious I know).

i agree, and the language barrier is probably the biggest stumbling block. wesley and engels speak good english, so they should be fine. not sure about trezeguet. guilbert might struggle as he doesn't speak a word.

targett knew jack before apparently, so expect him to be OK.

getting them in early is HUGE. they still have over 2 weeks to get to know each other, including another overseas trip. i'm confident all will be well.

Well with Trezeguet joining I'd be surprised to see any more wingers through the door. That's not to say I wouldn't try and get better than Green in an ideal world, but in the real world where a few weeks ago we ONLY had Green on the books, him now possibly being 4th choice is hardly the most pressing matter imho.

With Douglas in the pipeline I think we'll turn our attentions to a Goalie and a Striker. And then I hope we have a bit in the pot to get another DMC in.

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i agree, and the language barrier is probably the biggest stumbling block. wesley and engels speak good english, so they should be fine. not sure about trezeguet. guilbert might struggle as he doesn't speak a word.

targett knew jack before apparently, so expect him to be OK.

getting them in early is HUGE. they still have over 2 weeks to get to know each other, including another overseas trip. i'm confident all will be well.

Although he's clearly not fluent, Targett seems to speak a bit of English too

• Haha 1

Assuming Luiz is as good as done which I think it is I think we still need the following;

GK, DCM and striker

I can't though see that we've too much left to spend so I can't see us getting Butland and Maupay for example.

We've done some really smart business this window and I think signed some good players at some really decent prices in a crazy window.

I think the prices are only likely to get worse over the remainder of the window but lets hope that Purslow, Suso and Smith continue as they've done over the last month.

I never thought we would be at this point by this stage following the play off final.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Our DMC position is weak as piss. As is our depth in central midfield. 

The DMC position is definitely our main weakness now. Hourihane is currently filling in there, but even in the Championship he was better playing in a further forward midfield position.

But, I think the rest of our central midfield options are okay. Jota looks like he could be a back-up for Grealish, so with McGinn and Hourihane added, that's essentially two players for each of the 2 attacking/box-to-box central midfield positions.

With Purslow saying 2/3 more Trezeguet now confirmed as 1, Douglas likely as the 2nd and then possibly one more, though that doesn't seem urgent. I suspect it will be GK or ST but we won't be held to ransom over them. 

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Still think we need:
1 x DM
1 x RW/LW
1 x ST
1 x GK

I know everybody keeps saying 'doing a fulham', and whilst this might not be true in the sense that we actually needed to buy players to be able to field a team, we are integrating a helluva lot of new players into the side.
If the likes of Wesley, Trezeguet, Engels, Konsa, Targett struggle, we'll be in for a very long season indeed. 

I know it's great fun signing foreigners for big money but I must say I'm very nervous about how they'll integrate. This season could be as much a disaster as it could be a success. (kind of stating the obvious I know).

Don't be so negative! I thought you would be over the moon as its Wednesday and we have made a signing. 😂😂

Just now, cyrusr said:

With Purslow saying 2/3 more Trezeguet now confirmed as 1, Douglas likely as the 2nd and then possibly one more, though that doesn't seem urgent. I suspect it will be GK or ST but we won't be held to ransom over them. 

A quality keeper isn't an option, it's an essential. Steer is not Premier class.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Our DMC position is weak as piss. As is our depth in central midfield. 

What a negative post. Maybe concentrate on where we’ve strengthened and give yourself a break? DM needs addressing and I’m sure it will be. 

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

agree, and the language barrier is probably the biggest stumbling block. wesley and engels speak good english, so they should be fine.

They will make their football do the talking.

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Still think we need:
1 x DM
1 x RW/LW
1 x ST
1 x GK

If we have learned anything from the past it is the importance of management and coaching when bringing in a lot of `foreigners'.

And I have every faith that our management/coaching team is capable of being successful in this regard.

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

If we have learned anything from the past it is the importance of management and coaching when bringing in a lot of `foreigners'.

And I have every faith that our management/coaching team is capable of being successful in this regard.

I'm also confident that they all (apart from Guilbert) have existing links with other squad members.

Played under Smith - Konsa & Jota

Played together in the past - Wesley & Engles

Completed Loans - Hause, Mings & El Ghazi

National Team with Elmo - Trezeguet

I also imagine that, as he signed in January, Guilbert would have been working on his English since and/or would have met the players a few times.

• Like 1