Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Milinkovic-Savic from Lazio. Was very highly rated this time last year. Then had a mediocre WC for Serbia and in and out of Lazio this season. Physically though he's made for a premier league midfield. He's sort of a hybrid midfielder. Lazio usually play him as an AM and he chips in with goals but he can also sit and play deep. Probably similar to when Fellani first came to premier league. 30m and see what they say.

Is rated at about £110m and strongly linked to Juve so might be tricky to get him in.

• Like 1

Purslow quite bullish on the no loans thing. Smith has said it before as well.

Needs must though. If you offer me Axel or Tammy today on loan for the whole season next I think it's a good deal. Yes we're developing then for someone else but the benefit is us getting use of the player for a season.

Maybe we can get more halfway house arrangements with fixed fees clauses in there.

31 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Help me out here, from someone brought up at a time we played chuckle egg on Sinclair Spectrums, is ‘75 on FIFA’ good or bad please?

It's pretty average. In comparison to our current roster, the only players on Villa rated 75 or higher are Grealish, Tammy and Kalinic.

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

It's pretty average. In comparison to our current roster, the only players on Villa rated 75 or higher are Grealish, Tammy and Kalinic.

So you're saying he's better than McGinn.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5cedbede43362e6e77

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Help me out here, from someone brought up at a time we played chuckle egg on Sinclair Spectrums, is ‘75 on FIFA’ good or bad please?

I'd be wary of fifa ratings though... For example Richards is rated 69 and Hause 67... Mings is only 70!

Loans that give you an option at the end are fine I would imagine. Otherwise it smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face. If for instance we have the option of signing Tamny on loan with an option to buy, and that gives you an option to get another striker in, letting us see if Tammy can really cut it at PL level at the same time... Why would you not do that?

Loans that give you no options, I agree we can afford to pass up on now.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Is rated at about £110m and strongly linked to Juve so might be tricky to get him in.

That was last summer. He's dipped a bit this season although seems from recent reports Juve are still keen. There are loads of players across europe who get linked to massive clubs through agents/press yet in the end sign for clubs way down the pecking order. Jean Seri was being linked to Barcelona and next thing you know he's at Fulham for 25m.

Real Betis were really smart last summer with their dealings. They got in William Carvalho on a free transfer after he cancelled his contract at Sporting Clube (West Ham were going to sign him for 40m the summer before). Giovanni Lo Celso was bizarrely frozen out at PSG, Betis got him on loan, he had a great season and so signed for 20m euros and now they're going to sell him to Spurs for 50m.

Everton also signing likes of Lucas Digne and Andre Gomes from Barca. They are always reasonably big name players who though circumstances will be available for clubs lower down the leagues to sign if you're smart and brave enough.

BTW if we're in for a keeper I can see us making a move for Neil Etheridge. Had a very good season for Cardiff and Cutler basically found him off the streets to play for Walsall and he did very well there under DS.

That would be an example of a smart signing for about 6/7m. Proven premier league keeper for relative peanuts just in case Jed makes a few errors early on. Little bit like West Ham signing Fabianski after Swansea went down, he was one of the best keepers in the league last season.

Not every signing we make has to be 30m, important we get the balance right.

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Possibly... 😁

We need to be finding the next Milinkovic-Savic really. It's not an easy ask, none of this is going to be easy, but Wolves have shown what can be done if you have the right contacts, Spurs if your scouting/ambition matches up. Spurs are the team everyone should be looking towards as an example of what can be achieved with the right infrastructure and the balls and clout to make the right plays at the right time. The role call of the quality young talent they have signed over the years is phenomenal really. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That was last summer. He's dipped a bit this season although seems from recent reports Juve are still keen. There are loads of players across europe who get linked to massive clubs through agents/press yet in the end sign for clubs way down the pecking order. Jean Seri was being linked to Barcelona and next thing you know he's at Fulham for 25m.

Real Betis were really smart last summer with their dealings. They got in William Carvalho on a free transfer after he cancelled his contract at Sporting Clube (West Ham were going to sign him for 40m the summer before). Giovanni Lo Celso was bizarrely frozen out at PSG, Betis got him on loan, he had a great season and so signed for 20m euros and now they're going to sell him to Spurs for 50m.

Everton also signing likes of Lucas Digne and Andre Gomes from Barca. They are always reasonably big name players who though circumstances will be available for clubs lower down the leagues to sign if you're smart and brave enough.

BTW if we're in for a keeper I can see us making a move for Neil Etheridge. Had a very good season for Cardiff and Cutler basically found him off the streets to play for Walsall and he did very well there under DS.

That would be an example of a smart signing for about 6/7m. Proven premier league keeper for relative peanuts just in case Jed makes a few errors early on. Little bit like West Ham signing Fabianski after Swansea went down, he was one of the best keepers in the league last season.

Not every signing we make has to be 30m, important we get the balance right.

He's still rated at about £75m plus whatever premium Lazio add since they don't want to sell.

Agree on Betis although Carvalho actually ended up costing them £20m + £10m in add ons depending on results. Still a nice deal.

European teams are so smart with their dealings generally. Problem with premier league clubs now is everyone in europe knows the massive TV deals we get so you stick 20m onto valuations and players will tell their agents to ask for 20k more than they'd get if bottom half Spanish or Italian team were interested. Worse for us as we won the 170m game.

Back to SMS, not really sure where he'd fit in at Juve given they've signed Ramsey who's a similar midfielder. They've also got likes of Emre Can and Pjanic who can be box-to-box.

For strikers, If we can't get Tammy back full time I'd look at Haller who plays for Eintracht Frankfurt. Might be difficult to get him given they're losing Luka Jovic but he's only 24 and has a 1 in 2 record for them. Was injured for the Chelsea games in europa. Think he'd do well in premier league with his build (similar ish to Benteke). Ben Yedder at Sevilla could be worth a look aswell. Domestically maybe try for Rondon before Newcastle get rich?

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Possibly... 😁

We need to be finding the next Milinkovic-Savic really. It's not an easy ask, none of this is going to be easy, but Wolves have shown what can be done if you have the right contacts, Spurs if your scouting/ambition matches up. Spurs are the team everyone should be looking towards as an example of what can be achieved with the right infrastructure and the balls and clout to make the right plays at the right time. The role call of the quality young talent they have signed over the years is phenomenal really. 

With regards to Wolves, surely Mendes hasn't cornered the whole world in footy talent? Surely he must have some sort of rival we can get in with? Like Bob Arum v. Hearn etc 

• Like 1

Doing the rounds on Facebook (Yes I know) that Mings is done, for 15 - 20 mill (Undiclosed). That's alot of money.

Says "pending medical".

Although why would he need a medical after spending half a season with us which just ended? 🙄

8 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

With regards to Wolves, surely Mendes hasn't cornered the whole world in footy talent? Surely he must have some sort of rival we can get in with? Like Bob Arum v. Hearn etc 

Mino Raiola?

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Doing the rounds on Facebook (Yes I know) that Mings is done, for 15 - 20 mill (Undiclosed). That's alot of money.

Says "pending medical".

Although why would he need a medical after spending half a season with us which just ended? 🙄

Dunno how bad that injury was. It's scientifically proved euphoria can even numb the pain of broken bones. Combine that with booze the historical anaesthetic it might be knackered. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

What worry me is he seems to manage some of the right ego maniacs like Pogba Zlatan and Balotelli 

Also been banned from doing business in Italy over the summer.

He's notorious for unsettling his players and causing trouble at clubs.

From his clients standpoint he's great at getting deals and moves for them, but I'd stay well clear.

Guy is the shining example of why the game is gone.

• Thanks 1

In the interview with Smith and Purslow, the former mentions having options on three of the loaned players. El Ghazi, Hause and...? I'm presuming he just means that clause in the Mings deal about matching an accepted offer by another team but I'm holding onto some faint hope that it's something more concrete than that for him to have grouped it in with the other two.