Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

Belive me i would never talk about someone who i belive that would not be good for the squad. I dont know if he has attitude problem but to survive in this league Villa will need to have proven goalscorer and there are not many around so i would take him. And he is free agent? and has nothing to do with Liverpool

Sturridge is past it, usually injured and a total basket case, I see literally no redeeming reasons to sign him at all, same for any other club, any club that sign s a him now are incompetent imo, let's not forget he is currently serving a ban for betting irregularities, the guy is a total liability.

I wouldn't touch him with someone else's.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The other thing I want to keep reiterating about Daniel Sturridge until the end of this window is that he is a ****ing helmet. There's no way he fits Dean Smith's model of "be a good teammate". He's all about himself, and he has the social skills of a toddler.

Exactly this. I get fans of other clubs suggesting how good he would be for us as they don’t get how the club now works. But when Villa fans think he would be a good signing it’s just shocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Mings, McGinn & Grealish would not get into any top 6 side. 

They need to prove themselves at this level first.

I think the combination of over rating/hyping our own players and underestimating the strength of the Premier League is going to hurt alot of people.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

May as well get MON back in charge with Mcleish and Bruce as his assistants. Sherwood  can be a coach. 

Maybe we can persuade Robert Huth to come out of retirement while we’re at it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why cant you tell us who you support? 

Im not a big supporter of any team i like english football and by most part i watch the team who has Icelandic players

• Like 1

All this 'proven' nonsense is just that. Nonsense! Players come into English football all the time without PL experience and do just fine. The idea you need a squad full of or even an eleven, all with PL experience is laughable. For a start, up to 14 players will have PL experience on the opening day at Spurs. Does that mean all of a sudden they will cut it or not?! I doubt very much. No, imo having the right blend of good culture, quality, technical ability, discipline and leadership along with other traits in the set up are what's truly important. It helps if you have players with certain experiences in their previous history but it comes anyway during growth so isn't vital throughout the squad.

We will have a very young squad, probably the youngest but I think we have enough PL experience without overplaying the necessity of it. After all Wolves did OK and I'm sure prior to last season that they didn't have many players with masses of PL experience. I could be corrected on that though??!! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Your perception of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy benefits massively from hindsight. I'd say perceptions of Leicester at the time were close to perceptions of Villa now.

Actually Leicester were 5,000-1 to win the league that season I believe. We’re 1,000-1 to win this season. So obviously sports betting agents think we have a decent set of players and a strong management team, which actually is very accurate.

If the team gels, the team could do really well. If it doesn’t, we could find ourselves struggling. I still don’t think we’ll get anywhere above midtable but if we can finish 12th-14th we will attract a higher calibre of player next summer and can continue our journey of looking to compete with the likes of Everton, Leicester and West Ham, which is the minimum this club should be doing.

39 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yep, although I think there's two separate things here - what we expect from the team, and what we expect from individual players.

I firmly believe that some of our players are Top 6 quality: Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Douglas Luiz if we sign him. Whether that translates into a position higher than 17th, who knows, but I am very optimistic about those players.

There certainly have been forecasts of doom. Maybe not so much on here, but this "doing a Fulham" thing is becoming a cliché and a lot of people have said the size of the rebuild puts us firmly in a relegation battle.

I think the mistake people are making is to assume the other clubs in the PL are staying the same or improving. I believe Newcastle and Burnley are objectively worse teams than they were in the last 2 years, and that Brighton have the wrong squad for their incoming manager. Add in the lack of budget at Norwich and Sheffield Utd, and you have a big opening for us to finish at least 15th, if we get a bit of luck with injuries.

Anyway, this is straying off-topic. I'm not really disagreeing with anyone on here, and you're all raising fair points. Think we're all getting bored waiting for the season to start and finding minor points of difference that don't really matter :)

Just a quick note on Brighton, I think they actually have the right squad for their new manager, Houghton signed a lot of talented attacking players but played a very defensive style, hence why they struggled so much last season. I think the teams to struggle will be Norwich, Sheffield, Newcastle, Burnley, and for some reason my gut thinks West Ham and Leicester will struggle too. 

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A team signing Shane Long (in the Premier League) is a team asking to be involved in a relegation battle.

Can’t stand Shane Long. Remember watching him on TV when he was at baggies diving like an absolute twunt and thinking that the only time I wanted to see him in a villa kit was when we swapped shirts at the end of a game after we’d beat them 8 nil. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which is why I’ve put sneaky bets on villa to win league, top 6, top half and top without the big 6. 

Doesnt mean I expect it to happen.

I live up in The Highlands now and got chatting with a local lad last weekend. He said he’d put £2 on us to win the league, because he’s got a mate who’s a Villa fan. Have faith, it’s got to be a good bet if a Scotsman is opening his wallet for us 😀.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the combination of over rating/hyping our own players and underestimating the strength of the Premier League is going to hurt alot of people.

Spurs away could be a useful fixture. Either a massive reality check for the fans, or early reassurance for the players that they can mix it at this level.

What I would like to see is Dean Smith given a full season, even if we're languishing in 19th at Christmas.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Actually Leicester were 5,000-1 to win the league that season I believe. We’re 1,000-1 to win this season.

That's because they had to pay so much out when Leicester actually won that they won't make that same mistake again.

• Thanks 1