Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

11 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

People mentioning Sturridge, Austin and Long. Honestly I’d rather us have Kodjia as back up than them, at least we know he can score goals. His attitude isn't terrible, he just needs to chase down more, and whilst he did have that bad injury he isn’t injury prone. He’s instantly a better option than those three imo.

Sturridge would be great squad player, could be supersub. Proven goalscorer in Premier League are very valuble and out of this 4 Sturridge is by far the best. If Villa get him than its huge signing for newly promoted team.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not even convinced that we're going to sign another striker, after what Smith and Purslow said in the US. I Hope that do though, and I think it needs to be someone who's potentially as good or better than Wesley. We seem to be signing or being linked to a lot of players who have played in Belgium, with that in mind I just had a look at the leading goalscorers from that division for last season and see that Mbwana Samatta scored the most with twenty, a player that we've been linked to, wouldn't be surprised to see something come of that, probably wouldn't cost too much, has experience, but isn't too old, and could be rotated with Wesley.

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

And I certainly don't expect us to do a Leicester, either. Just pointing out a fact, which is that nobody seriously rated Mahrez, Vardy and Kante as among the Premier League's best players until around halfway through that season. Even the first half of that season was seen as an unsustainable run of good form.

The people who knowingly forecast doom are just as deluded as the people who claim Mings, McGinn etc. are all Champions League quality.

There are so many unknowables with a young squad. My sense is that at least one or two of our players will turn out to be much, much better than we were expecting, while some of the safer bets (Mings, McGinn, Grealish) will disappoint. That's just the nature of sport, especially when you have a squad with this age profile.

From what I have read nobody is forecasting doom. Most are forecasting staying up with anything else as a bonus.

I just think you have to be careful if you are expecting more. 

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

Lol, I don't think we're deluded at all. Look at the predictions for our finish next season - averaged around 15th I think.

The delusion is to think anyone can say for certain how we'll do next season. It's perfectly possible that we finish top 10. It's also possible we get relegated.

Staying up will be great for us , we have spent a lot of money but people need to remember the position we were in February , we had a team filled with loan players that were covering the cracks , which we have spent a large portion of our budget on making permanent, we lost our top goal scorer which we have replaced with an unknown quantity as of yet, yes our backline looks stronger but we really need to take a step back from talking about doing a Leicester or wolves ( not saying you said this or this is the majority on here's prospective but have seen few on here mention us in same breath)

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

Staying up will be great for us , we have spent a lot of money but people need to remember the position we were in February , we had a team filled with loan players that were covering the cracks , which we have spent a large portion of our budget on making permanent, we lost our top goal scorer which we have replaced with an unknown quantity as of yet, yes our backline looks stronger but we really need to take a step back from talking about doing a Leicester or wolves ( not saying you said this or this is the majority on here's prospective but have seen few on here mention us in same breath)

Exactly. I’m seeing some of the same fans that turned on Smith now expecting a great season. Keep grounded guys. 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Dean has worked and done well with Hogan before, i think he still got a chance to be backup striker if he keeps doing well in Pre season.

'Keeps doing well', suggests he already got off to a good start. Did you enjoy his American cameo then because I thought it was yet another example of his fast paced bumbling to very little effect.

9 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

Sturridge would be great squad player, could be supersub. Proven goalscorer in Premier League are very valuble and out of this 4 Sturridge is by far the best. If Villa get him than its huge signing for newly promoted team.

Yeah he would be great to be filling up the wage bill while being busy at the medical.

• Like 1

The benefit we have (looking for upsides) is the bottom 8 teams at least are much of a muchness so it’s not unrealistic to suggest a higher position than 17th but there is also a serious chance we could be in the bottom three for most of the season.  I think confidence, our new players hitting the ground running, luck with injuries (and back luck for our competitors) is key and if we can sneak in a few more players then we’ll be in a stronger position.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

For someone who isn’t even a Villa fan you are taking the piss suggesting Sturridge would be a good signing 

12 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

I want to us to be nowhere near Sturridge. He can have a free ticket to see a game but no thanks to anything more.  If we are going to waste wages I’d rather we got somebody that was beneficial to the team like Terry was for us.

35 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I agree with both of you. We can’t be signing big pay packet “on there way out” players. Terry was an exception as the man is quality and an absolute model pro. Okazaki arguably fits that mold but not enough quality to justify his last big pay packet at Villa.

Equally, we can’t rely on our youth. The idea that our youth set up produces quality is a bit of a myth for me. We get a few diamonds like Grealish but most are league 1 standard. 

We are not relying on our youth. Grealish aside it’s unlikely a single youth player will feature next season. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

People mentioning Sturridge, Austin and Long. Honestly I’d rather us have Kodjia as back up than them, at least we know he can score goals. His attitude isn't terrible, he just needs to chase down more, and whilst he did have that bad injury he isn’t injury prone. He’s instantly a better option than those three imo.

Are trolling in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Do you know, every now and then, I'm suddenly hit by the reality of this transfer window. In a couple of days time, we'll have spent £130m on fees and we're still looking for a keeper and maybe a striker. £130m - it's incredible - I mean, we needed to buy, but it's hard not be impressed with the way we've gone about it. We are walking the walk. Stop a moment, enjoy it; this is an amazing summer.

It has been quite amazing hasn’t it, tho it all feels like a blur since securing a play off final spot, I’m not sure I’ve been able to savour or take it in yet. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

From what I have read nobody is forecasting doom. Most are forecasting staying up with anything else as a bonus.

I just think you have to be careful if you are expecting more. 

Yep, although I think there's two separate things here - what we expect from the team, and what we expect from individual players.

I firmly believe that some of our players are Top 6 quality: Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Douglas Luiz if we sign him. Whether that translates into a position higher than 17th, who knows, but I am very optimistic about those players.

There certainly have been forecasts of doom. Maybe not so much on here, but this "doing a Fulham" thing is becoming a cliché and a lot of people have said the size of the rebuild puts us firmly in a relegation battle.

I think the mistake people are making is to assume the other clubs in the PL are staying the same or improving. I believe Newcastle and Burnley are objectively worse teams than they were in the last 2 years, and that Brighton have the wrong squad for their incoming manager. Add in the lack of budget at Norwich and Sheffield Utd, and you have a big opening for us to finish at least 15th, if we get a bit of luck with injuries.

Anyway, this is straying off-topic. I'm not really disagreeing with anyone on here, and you're all raising fair points. Think we're all getting bored waiting for the season to start and finding minor points of difference that don't really matter :)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do you know, every now and then, I'm suddenly hit by the reality of this transfer window. In a couple of days time, we'll have spent £130m on fees and we're still looking for a keeper and maybe a striker. £130m - it's incredible - I mean, we needed to buy, but it's hard not be impressed with the way we've gone about it. We are walking the walk. Stop a moment, enjoy it; this is an amazing summer.

Totally agree.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

You certainly can't say we lack ambition. As to wether they all click together is another story, I don't think there will be any middle ground with us next season. It's either going to be great like Wolves 1st season up up or like Fulham's.

It's one hell of a change the summer. Kind of exciting of and scary at the same time!

28 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

Sturridge wouldn’t be a great option, purely because he’s played about 10 games in 4 years. Yes I’m exaggerating, but you know what I mean. He’d cost a fortune and there is nothing to suggest that he can stay fit for more than a few weeks at a time.

Edit: Also, a few lads I work with follow him on various social media platforms. You should see the way he is. He’s started his own record label, tried to start his own clothing range, spends as much of his time  in LA as he can, he’s always out. I think he sees himself as some sort of baller. I’m not necessarily questioning his attitude, but I don’t think we need this kind of ‘hot shot’ in the dressing room with seemingly those sort of players long gone for us.

Edited by 7392craig