Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

People laugh at relating football manager stats to real players, but the database is fed into by a range of credible real life sources, like scouts and football statisticians, so it's a lot closer to reality than people give it credit for. 

Sure is i remember well that time Kidderminster won the Premier league & Champions league double back to back...

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Without sounding too over confident, I don't think we are splashing over £120m on a new team just to mix it up with the relegation candidates.

As for Leao. Why isn't happening? because you don't want it to? because you think Laeo will chose another club? are you doubting a bid is in place from us?

The way I see it, it either happens or it doesn't. If the club say yes to any bid we put in then it would be down to Laeo after that.

If he comes, superb, if he don't, we go after the next name on the list. Sorted.

I think we are spending that kind of money because we had no choice. This season is all about staying up. Next season is about strengthening. Everton who you think we may be mixing it up with spent 120m on 4 players to strengthen the team. Not create it! 

120m on 10 players would have us challenging for top 4 about 10-15 years ago. These days it’s a different story. 

As for Leao I don’t think we are in a position to pay 35-40m on a player after the amount we have already spent and the fact we may still need more players. 

We sign this lad I’ll give £100 to VT. It just ain’t happening.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

With Luiz and Trezeguet seemingly done or close to being done I figure we need another three players. A GK, DCM and a striker.

Anything on top of that would be a bonus, if they could perhaps add a couple of loans with options that would be good.

It’s too early to know how well we’ve done in this window but I think it’s fair to say we’ve been bold, avoided journeymen and clearly worked to a firm plan and scouted players it’s not been a Fulham style trolley dash.

This season is still going to be really tough but we’ve given ourselves the best chance we possibly could.

I think the fixtures have been quite kind to us which may help. We essentially have a whole new team of mostly young players that haven't played much/any premier league football. Sure we have spurs first but after that we play bournemouth, everton, palace, westham, arsenal,burnley which should enable us to pick up a few wins and build confidence whilst avoiding getting completely torn to pieces. If we had ended up getting smashed heavily by City & Liverpool etc in the first few games it might have destroyed any sort of confidence in both the players & fans and made for a horrible season. It still could i guess if things don't go right against some of the "easier" teams but all of those are far less likely to stick 7 goals past you.

Edited by LakotaDakota

Strange views on this forum for sure, would you say our current team is stronger or weaker then the Leicester team that just avoided relegation and then went on to win the Premier League? Just out of curiosity?

leao, never heard of him, sounds exciting but don’t know why we think he wouldn’t sign for us...

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

With Luiz and Trezeguet seemingly done or close to being done I figure we need another three players. A GK, DCM and a striker.

I no longer think we will sign a goalkeeper. I wonder if many of us, myself included, have been far too hasty in writing Kalinic off. 

That said if somebody like Heaton could be had for ~£5m we should consider it. I think they will sit on it and make a move if they deem it necessary late in the window. 

• Like 2

It’s about £££ and selling a project so I wouldn’t expect him to sign but quietly optimistic we would stand a chance if we had a bid accepted ... the thing is if he does well here of a couple of seasons he will join an elite club ... If he joins an elite club now and fails then where does his career go. Everton do have the silva Factor... anyway this is almost certainly not going to happen... 

22 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Strange views on this forum for sure, would you say our current team is stronger or weaker then the Leicester team that just avoided relegation and then went on to win the Premier League? Just out of curiosity?

leao, never heard of him, sounds exciting but don’t know why we think he wouldn’t sign for us...

It was a once in a lifetime season mate. Freak occurance. They won the league with 81 points. Last season runners up was 97 points. 

The influx of money the year after we got relegated has taken the league to another level in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was a once in a lifetime season mate. Freak occurance. They won the league with 81 points. Last season runners up was 97 points. 

The influx of money the year after we got relegated has taken the league to another level in my opinion.

It was a freak season but they still did it, and it was done with team morale mostly.

If anyone offered me 17th I’d take it right now.

Top end of expectations would be comfortable mid table with no relegation fears and a decent cup run.

Next summer will be the one to really kick on and target the upper half of the league.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It was a freak season but they still did it, and it was done with team morale mostly.

True. I suppose you could argue Blackburn was a one-off to and even Villa when we last won it. 

Maybe it happens every 20 years or so.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I no longer think we will sign a goalkeeper. I wonder if many of us, myself included, have been far too hasty in writing Kalinic off. 

I don’t think we will either. I also don’t think we need to. I’d be more than happy to go with Steer and Kalinic. 

Think we definitely need a striker now, if Louis and Trezeguet are indeed ‘done’. 

Then, I reckon we need to sell a couple... if we can. 

John Percy who almost everyone seems to trust as the most reliable source has said today that we're targeting a new goalkeeper, and have been in talks with Burnley for Tom Heaton.

I'd say a striker - after Luiz and Trezeguet is most important, personally, and I'm ambivalent on a goalkeeper. If we get a player like Heaton for decent value, then fair enough, but otherwise I think those two should be fine

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

I'd say a striker - after Luiz and Trezeguet is most important, personally, and I'm ambivalent on a goalkeeper. If we get a player like Heaton for decent value, then fair enough, but otherwise I think those two should be fine

Completely agree, but I have a feeling Trezeguet is bought as someone who can cover a role both as a winger and striker. But another top quality striker is way more important to me than a goalkeeper.  

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As for Leao I don’t think we are in a position to pay 35-40m on a player after the amount we have already spent and the fact we may still need more players.

How do you even know this?

How do you know what we have or haven't bid?

I don’t think our current keeper options are so bad that they’re liable to cost us a bunch of points - they may not be so good that they win us a bunch of points but that’s another story.

Even Nyland started looking capable once we announced the signing of Kalinic from memory 

We've already signed one young raw pacey striker in Wesley for £22m, I doubt we'll be signing another for £30m, it's not even as if Leao also plays on the wing as some seem to think. If we sign another striker I think it will probably be someone who's either going to cost in the ten to twenty million price range, or someone we can get on loan with a view to a permanent deal.