Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He is nowhere near good enough to be featuring in 20 games for us. 

Its a concern. 

I think I if he stays he will struggle to get into double figures even. Engels can cover DM as can Hourihane and we may sign another DM .... I can see the sense though in keeping him around until at least Jan if he isn’t agitating for a move just as a worse case scenario and extra body in the extremist of circumstances  due to his low wages and versatility .

Edited by thabucks

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What’s the obsession with people wanting to play our centre half’s in defensive mid? 

I agree but he has played in that position before earlier in his career and worse case scenario could cover there if we have an extreme injury crisis was the point I was making ...

Edited by thabucks

A scouse loving rep who I have the misfortune to deal with occasionally told that the word around Liverpool is that Harry Wilson is wanted by Villa and the player only has to say yes and the move is on - Wilson though wants a crack at securing a place at Liverpool during pre season ....

Another winger ? -  Can't see us waiting around for the likes of Wilson - but equally he must know he isn't going to get much game time at Liverpool

34 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If we could him fit, he’d be great for us, we managed it with Martin Laursen

I wouldn't compare him to Laursen.

Laursen's wages would have been more aligned with the rest of the team. We want to avoid having a pool of players on high wages because then the whole squad wants the same. When MON left our wages were 86% of revenue and we all know what happened in subsequent years.

Laursen had injuries but played v well when he was getting his game. Sturidge has been poor when he has played recently.

I just don't get it. Why take the risk? Lets take a risk on a young up and coming for a fraction of the wages who isn't injury prone and might net us money in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He is nowhere near good enough to be featuring in 20 games for us. 

Its a concern. 

What would you suggest we do about the situation regarding Thor and the others that are not good enough? Juat out of interest.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

What would you suggest we do about the situation regarding Thor and the others that are not good enough? Juat out of interest.

How about we don't sign anymore similar players for a start

1 minute ago, Feidhlim said:

How about we don't sign anymore similar players for a start

True. I don't think we will do so either.

But the question was, what do we do in the meantime with these players that we still have if they are not even good enough to be backup?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 hour ago, useless said:

Some of these Sturridge stats are misleading, at Albion for example he might have featured in six games, but in terms of minutes on the pitch it only amounted to a little over 90 minutes. Same with Liverpool a lot of his appearances will be when he he's come on for the last couple of minutes for games, his goals to minutes ration is still pretty decent. In his career he has 77 goals in 218 Premier league games, 11 goals in 24 FA cup games, and 11 goals in 15 League cup games, and he's not yet even 30. If you can keep him fit, then he'll score goals.

Are you Sturridge in disguise? Your username suggests so...

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True. I don't think we will do so either.

But the question was, what do we do in the meantime with these players that we still have if they are not even good enough to be backup?

I think the club have taken steps to ensure these fringe players remain just that. Keep in mind the window isn't closed

24 minutes ago, Feidhlim said:

I think the club have taken steps to ensure these fringe players remain just that. Keep in mind the window isn't closed

True, for what it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing Thor & Lansbury stick around if that situation panned out. Do I think they are PL quality, no.

Do I think they are capable of a cameo or filling in on injuries and suspensions for the odd game whilst surrounded by the rest of the quality of our squad, Yes.

Wouldn't be sad to see them gone or stay tbh, but remaining bunch I do agree are not good enough.

However, with the 2 or 3 positions in the team that already needed addressed, added the money we have already spent in the players coming in, will we be seeing all these fringe players replaced, I don't think we will.

Bree, Hogan, Tshibola, Lansbury, Thor, - £10m combined resale value. To replace them all would be around another £30m-£50m and I don't think it will happen. 

There is no where for Bree to really slot in so kind of surplus and won't need a replacement signed for his position.

Thisbola, Barely Championship standard and he is not kicked a ball for Villa in years, his position is already crowded and he won't need a replacement signed.

Hogan, If another striker arrives I am not sure he will get a look in with Wesley and Kodja already ahead of him. Our new Striker in effect would be replacing Hogan.

Lansbury, not sure if he is cut out for this level and it remains a question mark keeping in mind his candy floss hamstrings. Could be kept as a backup MC/AMC role, i'm not sure. If we sign Nakamba then Lansbury wouldn't be needed as such since Jota can also play as a AMC player if needed.

Thor, again not sure if he is cut out for this level and it remains a question mark bit he is an Iceland international so I wouldn't write him off just yet. He is also a versatile midfielder who can play DM/MC roles. Would make logistical sense keeping him since he could play 2 ppsitions and baring in mind we only need a 25 man squad.

Conclusion.  Keep Thor as a backup, and offload Hogan, Bree, Davis, Lansbury & Thishbola without any replacements needing signed to cover them.

Or, we offload all of them and use the money towards buying one decent backup DM/MC midfielder.

Edited by AvfcRigo82