Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Seems very likely that Maupay is off now and it looks like Brighton or Villa being favourites.

I would say we are the favourites, then, He wants to link up with Dean Smith again.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Come on we can do so much better than Sturridge.

Stop signing those "has been" players, stop signing players that are already on the decline. Sturridge was relevant 4-5 years ago, he isn't now.

Pretty clear from everything coming out of the club that a signing like this wouldn’t even be considered. Sturridge fails every criteria of a new recruit. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Come on we can do so much better than Sturridge.

Stop signing those "has been" players, stop signing players that are already on the decline. Sturridge was relevant 4-5 years ago, he isn't now.

Yep, surely the red flag on this should be when he went on loan to West Brom in January 2018.

Here was a chance for him to come away from Liverpool and score goals to keep them up. Become a hero to them and also remind Klopp what he could offer. Six games, no goals and picked up two injuries.

He will end up in MLS, can't see any prem club taking a punt.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I can't think of a single one of our signings since NSWE took over that fits in this bracket to be fair.

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You said he’d be second choice DM. There’s a good chance the second choice in that position will feature regularly. Injuries and rotation require that. 

He wasn’t good enough at championship level. I’m not sure where the confidence in him being good enough at PL level has come from. 

I think the only times he would feature would be in cup games and injuries and suspensions. I make that around 15-20 games tops, and that is being generous.

I can't see us offloading Thor, Lansbury, Thisbola, Bree and Hogan and replacing them on top of the positions we still need to focus on and the financial outlay it would take to do that.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep, surely the red flag on this should be when he went on loan to West Brom in January 2018.

Here was a chance for him to come away from Liverpool and score goals to keep them up. Become a hero to them and also remind Klopp what he could offer. Six games, no goals and picked up two injuries.

They were sold a pup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dave_jW said:

I would say we are the favourites, then, He wants to link up with Dean Smith again.

If it's a choice between Brighton and us, then I agree. Brighton is a nice enough coastal resort, but their football team are likely to offer Maupay only a one season short break from the Championship.

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think the only times he would feature would be in cup games and injuries and suspensions. I make that around 15-20 games tops, and that is being generous.

I can't see us offloading Thor, Lansbury, Thisbola, Bree and Hogan and replacing them on top of the positions we still need to focus on and the financial outlay it would take to do that.

I agree. Those who were going have gone. Anyone left will be here for depth - there's no realistic way we would be buying a first team and reserves in one window. We've done/are doing a huge amount as it is. 

+ need to keep some excitement for Jan / next summer depending on how everyone beds in and performs. 

• Like 1

I know people are sceptical to that Trezeguet fella, and while I know nothing about him I was looking at his youtube video and while the defending is shite and he could easily flop here, he has one attribute I think this team will benefit from and that's a bit of pace and directness. I was hoping we would sign another pacy winger who could relieve some pressure by winning free kicks and quickly move the ball upwards (bit like Young used to do). He seems to tick those boxes. Even if we don't sign him I hope we are looking at something along those lines. 

• Like 2

Some of these Sturridge stats are misleading, at Albion for example he might have featured in six games, but in terms of minutes on the pitch it only amounted to a little over 90 minutes. Same with Liverpool a lot of his appearances will be when he he's come on for the last couple of minutes for games, his goals to minutes ration is still pretty decent. In his career he has 77 goals in 218 Premier league games, 11 goals in 24 FA cup games, and 11 goals in 15 League cup games, and he's not yet even 30. If you can keep him fit, then he'll score goals.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Some of these Sturridge stats are misleading, at Albion for example he might have featured in six games, but in terms of minutes on the pitch it only amounted to a little over 90 minutes. Same with Liverpool a lot of his appearances will be when he he's come on for the last couple of minutes for games, his goals to minutes ration is still pretty decent. In his career he has 77 goals in 218 Premier league games, 11 goals in 24 FA cup games, and 11 goals in 15 League cup games, and he's not yet even 30. If you can keep him fit, then he'll score goals.

I'm pretty sure if there was a good chance he'd stay fit then Liverpool would have kept him.

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He is nowhere near good enough to be featuring in 20 games for us. 

Its a concern. 

Amazes me that people are still discussing Sturridge... its almost as if you refuse to listen to Smith or Purslow, and accept that we are going down a new path. Sturridge is so far away from the types of signings we are making, or are going to be making so long as Smith and Purslow are involved with club. 

If he was to join, I would be amazed that we have chosen to do that, and also a bit disappointed. 

Please move on, its depressing reading these posts. Was hoping for more ambition from you lot now. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1