Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Well we lost 16 (if you include Chester). So we have a ways to go yet refilling the squad.

I know we are signing a lot, but imho we still have a ways to go just to get to a reasonable first team. Let alone back ups or rotation options.

I also dont think we are done with the outs yet.

tldr: too early to say :) 

I give you the like for your profile pic not because I necessarily agree with the post 🤣 It's my fav. 

I do as it goes agree with the post though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Darren Bent seems to have elected himself chief pundit on all villa related matters. Seems a desperate attempt at staying in the limelight, as none of his previous club are in the Premier league anymore! I wouldn't mind, if he actually made sensible comments, but when he is stating we should sign Charlie Adams then he really should learn to stop embarrassing himself. 

Charlie Austin my friend. I totally agree though. Some of the media are complete dicks though. They pose questions to players or managers that if anything have been employed by rivals. Like you will ever get a straight or decent answer without an agenda. Darren Bent based on his last couple of seasons for us was also employed by our rivals it seems. 

We had no choice but to sign a lot of players, and when you consider that we still need a goalkeeper, a defender, two central midfielders, two wingers (might get away with one), and a centre-forward, then that's still six or seven players needed, and only 23 days to sign them.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well the alternative is to field players that aren’t good enough. I agree too many changes at once can back fire but I don’t think we have much choice.

There's something to be said for holding back a little bit until January.

Add two more in January, knowing who has/has not made the step up to the Premier League.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I got to admit I am nervous about signing so many players as it's a dangerous tactic if they don't gel quickly 

Two things of note here though aren't there;

1. We had to do it

2. We've signed the majority a month before the season. Assuming Douglas happens soon or is even already out there training with the squad, nobody we sign now will have to be rushed in. We have a capable team, if not the 'best' we might have on paper come day one. 

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

We had no choice but to sign a lot of players, and when you consider that we still need a goalkeeper, a defender, two central midfielders, two wingers (might get away with one), and a centre-forward, then that's still six or seven players needed, and only 23 days to sign them.

We don't need a goalkeeper and four midfielders.

If the reports are true about Nakamba then a part of me will feel indifferent about his professionalism.

Look at Butland. Stoke are holding him ransom yet he is remaining professional and he has a lot more to lose than Nakamba. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure if signing Nakamba would be overkill or not. When the Luiz transfer is finalized we'll have:

Grealish
McGinn
Luiz
Hourihane
Lansbury

Fighting for 3 midfield spots, with McGinn and Grealish practically shoo-ins every week. So it's more like 3 fighting for 1, which you can live with when the third is Lansbury. But if it's Nakamba/Luiz/Hourihane, somebody's progress is going to be stunted. It could even be McGinn if Dean feels Luiz is better suited in the #8 position.

Injuries, suspensions, cup games etc.

Strength in depth.

Get what you are saying, but I fail to see the negative.

Having more quality players than needed for positions can only be a good thing!

As some other have pointed out too, formation/system changed for different opposition etc.

We are in the big leagues now, we can't risk being undone by being underprepared.

Also, Landsbury barely featured for us in the Championship, so him even being a factor is debatable. As much as I love Connor too, some games he is NOT suitable for at all.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Injuries, suspensions, cup games etc.

Strength in depth.

Get what you are saying, but I fail to see the negative.

Having more quality players than needed for positions can only be a good thing!

As some other have pointed out too, formation/system changed for different opposition etc.

We are in the big leagues now, we can't risk being undone by being underprepared.

Exactly.