Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

By my calcs we have spent a little over £100m on players including Luiz and Engels. If the rumoured targets land also then we could be seeing a total gross spend of near £150m. That is astonishing. 

Jota     £2,000,000 
El Ghazi     £5,000,000 
Hause     £3,000,000 
Wesley     £22,000,000 
Targett     £14,000,000 
Mings     £20,000,000 
Konsa     £12,000,000 
Luiz     £15,000,000 
Engels     £9,000,000 

Total     £102,000,000 

Absolutely not pissing about.

My theory based on nothing but the voices in my head is we will spend  £165million (Inc player sales) ... with marvellous, Trezeguet, Butland or European GK oh and Leao to go. Phillips is dead in the water in my view... Heaton ain’t worth the fee they will want and I just want Leao

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it?

We spent £65M in the championship 3 years ago.

Single players move for more than that entire amount now.

We needed lots of players.

Am I the only one not surprised by this?!

I always thought we'd spend around £100m, simply because we had so many players to buy, looks like we might go beyond that now as there's still more needed, be interesting to see what the final figure will be.

2 hours ago, Wes said:

According to this article on HLN.be, he was due to report to the club today but either he or his agent (lost in translation) told them he would not be turning up - as he appears to be trying to force a move. They seem to report than both us and FC Koln have made bids, but were not accepted. 

If this is true then I don’t think we are in for him. Not the kind of personality we need.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

If this is true then I don’t think we are in for him. Not the kind of personality we need.

The Nakamba link has always felt like agent-driven nonsense to me. He just wants a move and is using the window’s most active participants to get it. To be fair, his agent is doing a good job.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it?

Tbh I had £100m as a top figure in my head before the summer window started. Even then I thought that would be a great sign of intent by the owners. £150m just shows we are not here to make up the numbers. If we can somehow manage to stay up then our squad looks in good shape whereby we just need to add 2 or 3 quality players each window. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it?

No, it's not surprising that we've committed to the level of spending shown so far. Anything less would likely mean our stay in the Prem would be just for a season - i.e. literally doing a Fulham by not doing a Fulham.

And it's worth noting that the suggestion of "a total gross spend of near £150m", and it's a matter of opinion whether that is astonishing or not, isn't likely a gross net spend now. Rather, it's a commitment to spend that on a number of assets across a payment period negotiated for each one.

Potentially, some assets will appreciate in value and may be sold at a profit before we've even fully paid for them which could mean they've effectively cost us nothing at all. For example, if we sell El Ghazi next year to, say, newly-promoted Brentford or Bristol City for £30m (:lol:), not only will we possibly not have even paid the final installment on him at that point and not only will he have cost us nothing, we'll actually make on the deal.

I think it will elcipse £150m at the end of this window. 

We are going to make a substantial loss again this season. Does show that the owners really are in this for the long game. Despite the big number this is really just putting in a platform to grow from and doing what was needed with decent players. The icing on the cake will be following season windows when we just need 2 or three bigger names.

The investment by the owners is already possibly north of £300m and we aren't worth that yet.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it?

Not at all! 

We got the third or fourth richest owners in UK football to take over the club, it would be absolutely normal for us to assume we would spend big on our return to the top flight, especially with the amount of players needed. 

• Like 1

Purslow (I think) made the comment after promotion that the owners are not here to just enjoy the ride but want to compete.

Competing surely means spending upwards of £180 million and still includes the addition of a top-class keeper (Butland).

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The rest of the piece:

I can understand the comparison as cheaply formulated as that comparison  is......but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

The team was not prepared or good enough for the Premier League when the season was over......The club had no alternative but to spend IMV.

Only sharing this here as a reminder of The Great Salomon Rondon Debate of Summer 2019. He's off to China.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/07/15/rafa-benitez-make-salomon-rondon-first-signing-chinese-super/

Rafa Benitez is poised to make his first signing in the Chinese Super League with the £16.5 million capture of Salomon Rondon.

Benitez quit Newcastle for ambitious Dalian Yifang earlier this month and is set to complete the signing of Rondon, the West Bromwich Albion forward, in the next few days.

Edited by blandy
added extract

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Marvelous Nakamba has just started following AVFC official and Wesley Moraes on Instagram!

Seems like someone desperate to leave and is trying to get the attention of our club. I'd be very surprised if we were actually in for him. 

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

By my calcs we have spent a little over £100m on players including Luiz and Engels. If the rumoured targets land also then we could be seeing a total gross spend of near £150m. That is astonishing. 

Jota     £2,000,000 
El Ghazi     £5,000,000 
Hause     £3,000,000 
Wesley     £22,000,000 
Targett     £14,000,000 
Mings     £20,000,000 
Konsa     £12,000,000 
Luiz     £15,000,000 
Engels     £9,000,000 

It's a lot of money, but doesn't feel wasted - I expect many of these players to retain much of their value over the next 2 or 3 seasons, with many having the potential to increase.
This means - if we do have a terrible season, which will inevitably affect their value - we won't be too badly off on FFP.

I know that the 2015 summer madness feels terrible from afar, but many of the players (Amavi, Veretout, Sinclair, Gueye, Traore) at least held their value based on what is reported we paid and sold them for.
Yeah, there's always Richards and Lescott to throw into the mix - but they were free or a very low cost (So wages were high, especially on Richards, but that feels unique).
Lets ignore Bunn and Illori from that summer, because successive managers did.

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Seems like someone desperate to leave and is trying to get the attention of our club. I'd be very surprised if we were actually in for him. 

Really?

I'd be surprised if this is all a coincidence. Multiple reports in the press and now his actions on social media. No chance its all just made up and he's hoping. 

• Like 2