Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Fulham spent £100m and went straight back down. They are the exception though - they are only big spenders who went down

We had no choice but to assemble a new team. Smith built a promotion winning team with someone elses players - so I am quietly confident he can do it with his own players.

Yep I read out of 6 promoted teams that spent more than 50 million they are the only team to go down. 

• Like 1

Although it's rumoured that Brentford are asking for £20m for Maupay, I think that we will be able to get him for less. Something like £17.5m would be a decent price for us and Brentford.

I do wonder if Brentford would take Hogan as part of a deal as well.

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Although it's rumoured that Brentford are asking for £20m for Maupay, I think that we will be able to get him for less. Something like £17.5m would be a decent price for us and Brentford.

They wouldnt take Hogan, not a chance.

Honestly anyone who even remotely thinks they would take Hogan, please go and do some research about Brentford and how they operate.

Then come back and tell me why they wouldn't do it, rather than me have to explain it :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We’d probably have to pay extra to include Hogan in the deal 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

When has it ever worked for a team changing so much playing personnel? Especially one coming up from the division below? 

Watford I think. Didn’t they sign 15 players and have a new manager the season they came up? 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

They would have to do battle with Stoke, who are bound to insist on him being part of the deal that brings Butland to Villa Park as well.........

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I thought he played well consistantly from February. Ask me before that and I'd happily have sent him back like Yannick.

Still got lots to learn but remember he was involved at the top level with Ajax for season or two.

Needs a good start to the season. If he does can see him doing well at prem level.

Took a few months to settle, was fantastic from Feb, will be great in the Premier League. 

• Like 2

On 12/07/2019 at 23:27, MaVilla said:

Kodjia scored:

2015/16 - 19 in 45 (BCFC)

2016/17 - 0 in 4 (BCFC)

2016/17 - 19 in 26 (AVFC)

2017/18 - 1 in 15 (AVFC)

2018/19 - 9 in 39 (AVFC)

thats 48 goals in 139 championship games.

I didn't mean to imply you were wrong if that is what you thought. 38 in 75 is a brilliant goal return. 10 in 54 Is less so but when you think that 15 of those he was obviously still recovering from a serious injury, and arguably all of them. He also played out of position most of this year and mostly played as a sub. If he played full minutes he probably would of scored around 20 again this year.

I was just saying kodjia ~1/3 goal to game ratio is deceptively low. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I didn't mean to imply you were wrong if that is what you thought. 38 in 75 is a brilliant goal return. 10 in 54 Is less so but when you think that 15 of those he was obviously still recovering from a serious injury, and arguably all of them. He also played out of position most of this year and mostly played as a sub. If he played full minutes he probably would of scored around 20 again this year.

I was just saying kodjia ~1/3 goal to game ratio is deceptively low. 

Agree massively with this! Kodjia fully fit, starting matches and in his natural position gets you goals all day. 

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

El Ghazi is a supremely talented individual and I'm confident he's going to prove it on the big stage. 

When I say that I mean it in a realistic sense, along the lines of an Arnautovic rather than a Ronaldo. I think those who aren't rating him aren't looking at the progression in a linear sense. They are jumbling up bad El Ghazi with average El Ghazi and really fudging good El Ghazi, as if that progression was a mirage. 

Does he suffer from confidence issues? Maybe. But the talent was always there and Smith managed to bring it out of him. Why assume that will stop?

It was physicality of English league he suffered with at start. Most players coming from another league do. Its why alot don’t make it. 

He got to grips with it and why he was a revelation in last 15 games 

Just now, HeyAnty said:

It was physicality of English league he suffered with at start. Most players coming from another league do. Its why alot don’t make it. 

He got to grips with it and why he was a revelation in last 15 games 

I agree. I do think confidence played a part too. Without him, I don’t think we’d have scored two goals in the play off final either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John said:

We still have Jack, John and thankfully now Tyrone.

For me, along with Tammy and Axel (who we have been unable to bring back due to circumstances beyond our control) they were probably the most crucial components to our success last season.

To those, we can add players that also made big contributions such as El Ghazi, Hause, Elmo, Steer and Conor, so we have retained as much of the nucleus of last season's squad as was feasible. We have also added some quality players to these and will add some more.

It's a pity last season's squad had to be broken up and the whole squad have earned their place in our club's proud history, but time doesn't stand still and difficult and harsh decisions did need to be made following our promotion. 

As you have so rightly said, we are currently having great fun and we have made some exciting signings already. I'm confident that the players we have retained along with Dean and his staff, can get our new boys quickly integrated and firing effectively by the season start. The changes we have needed to make can work for us, we're not Fulham.

We are not Fulham and I can’t see us changing manager 3 times in a year. Plus they essentially brought in a load of players and tried to work out how they fit as oppose to what I feel we are doing which is buy players to fit how DS wants to play. Also they dropped Cairney who I know is not as good but is almost time us dropping Jack which I think really effected them by driving a wedge between new and old players. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

We are not Fulham and I can’t see us changing manager 3 times in a year. Plus they essentially brought in a load of players and tried to work out how they fit as oppose to what I feel we are doing which is buy players to fit how DS wants to play. Also they dropped Cairney who I know is not as good but is almost time us dropping Jack which I think really effected them by driving a wedge between new and old players. 

I’m just looking at Fulham’s transfers and most of the 100m was spent on 4 players. One of them that was already in the team for half a season. 

It’s hard to work out what happened with Fulham without following them. From the outside looking in it seems they sacked their manager too early and should have just stuck with him. 

• Like 1