Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

We need to sign players already. Feeling very apprehensive about our squad right now. It appears we're going to have to pay over the odds to get players in early for pre-season. Get it done!

I've been doing some investigating, and I don't think there's anything in these Cahill stories, looking at the Daily Star article they actually say that he 'looks' to be signing and when you read further down, they actually claim that it's The Express that are reporting this, but provide no link, and looking on The Express website I can see no reference to Cahill signing for us, the only mention of him is someone suggesting that United sign him, I can't find any indication of The Express saying that we're going to sign Cahill on twitter either, and it won't have come from a print edition because the story broke last night.

• Like 1

Think getting Cahill would be great business, we get a top player with great experience , like someone said earlier his high wages and what ever signing on fee would be balanced out by the lack of transfer fee, but think one of key things this would do for us is , when we go to try and do deals for the likes of Webster and Ming's we are not as desperate as we are now , which Bournemouth and Bristol can clearly see , hence the big fees they are looking for, I'd then be happy with either of them and look at the other in the January window 

Edited by pete101
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, striker said:

Not sure on bringing Cahill back at all.

Villa have been moving forwards since DS has come to the club so signing a player coming to the end of his career and on massive wages would be a step back into the bad old days at the Villa. Just can’t see it happening under the current regime.

I also don’t think Villa have baulked at any asking price beyond negotiation. That’s why it’s probably taking time to push more signings through.

Really no-one knows who Villa are interested in and what the asking price of players are beyond the usual paper talk or guesswork by fans.

Just sit back and relax because AVFC are in good hands with the right financial backing to do what’s needed.

This isn’t any old player though. It’s one of the best English defenders of the last decade that has won every club competition in the game. If he is in good shape than 33 is not that old for a centre half. We need leadership and experience this season. He would be very ideal. 

Love to see him next to Mings who can continue to learn from whilst providing some pace and athleticism.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We need to sign players already. Feeling very apprehensive about our squad right now. It appears we're going to have to pay over the odds to get players in early for pre-season. Get it done!

I suspect we are determined not to pay over the odds, and I am fully on board with that. I also suspect that that we may be looking abroad for better quality and value than the expensive Championship players with whom we have had tenuous links.

Different teams need to be played on their merits and will require a different defensive approach. Cahill would be a preferable option when we need strength in the air against a team with a big strong centre forward or which puts lots of crosses into the box. 

29 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

There are some weird comments on Cahill in my opinion.

"If he comes he's 4th choice" - surely if he comes, he's here to compete for a place. If he does well, he starts. If not, he doesn't. In fact, an older, more experienced player is perfect for rotation with a few players who haven't proved themselves in the PL yet. Like Mings, Hause, Webster, and (in my view) Chester.

"not for his wages" - firstly, do you know what they are? And second, do people think £20k defender play for peanuts? I'd had thought pretty similar salary levels but without the £20m paid out upfront.

"he's too old" - can someone tell me at what age we introduce the Logan's Run rule at Villa (a reference for the teenagers there!) As long as he doesn't get an inappropriately long contract, that's fine.

This isn't aimed at anyone one person, by the way - just the generic negative views I've picked up.

Ideally we'd have 3 or 4 top quality CBs in the squad. But we've just got up from the Championship via the playoffs and had to flog our stadium to make sure we comply with FFP. Perhaps Harry Maguire isn't coming, and a year of Cahill gives us what we need, along side the likes of Mings or Webster.

Great post. Think he’d be a great signing to be honest. Will never hurt to have a little experience in the team and he brings that with him in abundance. Don’t see why the negativity, if he’s still good enough he’ll play, he won’t have the pace but next to a younger CB like Mings or hause they can use there pace and CB is probably the best outfield position for a older head. People moan that there’s lack of transfers then shoot down any player we’re linked with, typical villa fans lol. perhaps they read these forums and think no thank you they are a bunch of moaning fickle fans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This isn’t any old player though. It’s one of the best English defenders of the last decade that has won every club competition in the game. If he is in good shape than 33 is not that old for a centre half. We need leadership and experience this season. He would be very ideal. 

Love to see him next to Mings who can continue to learn from whilst providing some pace and athleticism.

This is very true. I don't think it will be quite like the disaster Lescott was, as I feel Cahill is a much better professional and a much better player overall. Lescott hid between top players at City and I think was always bang average, not sure how he won so many England caps. But I actually think Cahill has always been a good player, albeit maybe lacking at the truly top level with England. Would much prefer him over Webster, who I am very sceptical about especially at that fee and looks like just another good Championship player to me.

Cahill and Mings as our centre halves for next season would be ok by me, if we can get a proven quality DM in front of them (not Phillips for me, maybe Nakamba) plus Butalnd in goal we could be decent defensively and with our forward players I'd be relatively optimistic of a decent first season back. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

What if it was Mings, Hause, Chester and a one year Cahill to provide experience whilst we wait for Utd to **** up Tuanzebe and we sign him next summer?

I'm up for that.

I could live with that I suppose, yeah. 

26 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

There are some weird comments on Cahill in my opinion.

"If he comes he's 4th choice" - surely if he comes, he's here to compete for a place. If he does well, he starts. If not, he doesn't. In fact, an older, more experienced player is perfect for rotation with a few players who haven't proved themselves in the PL yet. Like Mings, Hause, Webster, and (in my view) Chester.

"not for his wages" - firstly, do you know what they are? And second, do people think £20k defender play for peanuts? I'd had thought pretty similar salary levels but without the £20m paid out upfront.

"he's too old" - can someone tell me at what age we introduce the Logan's Run rule at Villa (a reference for the teenagers there!) As long as he doesn't get an inappropriately long contract, that's fine.

This isn't aimed at anyone one person, by the way - just the generic negative views I've picked up.

Ideally we'd have 3 or 4 top quality CBs in the squad. But we've just got up from the Championship via the playoffs and had to flog our stadium to make sure we comply with FFP. Perhaps Harry Maguire isn't coming, and a year of Cahill gives us what we need, along side the likes of Mings or Webster.

Reportedly he was on around 85k p/w at Chelsea, for reference I read Jack is our highest paid currently on around £60k p/w. Considering the next deal Cahill signs will likely be his last I'd imagine he doesn't want to drop much below his last contract. In reality he should probably ask for more and a large signing on fee due to the fact he doesn't come with a transfer fee. I don't believe the targets we have been looking at, especially in the Championship, would demand or be given anywhere near these figures. In fact, unless you are a proven top Premier League player you aren't getting that kind of money from anyone.

So wages really are an issue, we can pay it sure, but it may well upset the apple cart (see Utd and Sanchez).

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, but we had better be damn sure we are going to play him and get our moneys worth if we do.

He may be free but he won't be cheap.

12 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Reportedly he was on around 85k p/w at Chelsea, for reference I read Jack is our highest paid currently on around £60k p/w. Considering the next deal Cahill signs will likely be his last I'd imagine he doesn't want to drop much below his last contract. In reality he should probably ask for more and a large signing on fee due to the fact he doesn't come with a transfer fee. I don't believe the targets we have been looking at, especially in the Championship, would demand or be given anywhere near these figures. In fact, unless you are a proven top Premier League player you aren't getting that kind of money from anyone. 

So wages really are an issue, we can pay it sure, but it may well upset the apple cart (see Utd and Sanchez).

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, but we had better be damn sure we are going to play him and get our moneys worth if we do.

He may be free but he won't be cheap.

Fair comment. 

My view is that his last contract was the biggie. Peoples wages tend not to go up in the last 2 or 3 years of their career - especially after the year he's had.. Assume £80k p/w - £4m for a year. 
Webster @ £20m, plus (say) £50k p/w will cost us £18.5m more in the first year. 
I think getting a year out of Cahill now, so we only have to go big on 1x CB now - then another in 12 months when we've secured another £100m+ from another season in the PL.

Personal view - £60k p/w will get him for a year. The problem might be he wants 2 years, and some idiots will offer him that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Not sure on bringing Cahill back at all.

Villa have been moving forwards since DS has come to the club so signing a player coming to the end of his career and on massive wages would be a step back into the bad old days at the Villa. Just can’t see it happening under the current regime.

I also don’t think Villa have baulked at any asking price beyond negotiation. That’s why it’s probably taking time to push more signings through.

Really no-one knows who Villa are interested in and what the asking price of players are beyond the usual paper talk or guesswork by fans.

Just sit back and relax because AVFC are in good hands with the right financial backing to do what’s needed.

It looks like it could be happening, yet I agree with you.

The only reason I see to bring Cahill to us would be filling holes till January or the season after next. We obviously need more players and if we have to bring some in on high wages till we can find suitable signings then so be it, I don't like it one bit though because I thought we was done with this kind of thing just like loans with no buys.

If it helps us stay put I guess none of us can complain, we need to remain in the premier and untill weve completed a first season and survived it will no doubt pit alot of stars off coming here. When your tipped for a drop back down in your first season it makes signing that amazing talent the top ten can easily sign difficult I think.

I think people need to look at why he barely played for Chelsea last season rather than remembering him fondly for what he was

If Cahill is our 1st choice CB next season we have problems, happy to have him in the squad if we can get a good deal but main defender? No way

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

we already had a gap of £60m last year so had to sell our ground.

We sold our ground for close to 60m, but that doesn't mean there was a 60m hole to fill. From what I understand, we were a little short but not by that amount. I'm presuming that some of the money from the sale will be used in this season's transfer budget. 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Cahill,  NewCB, Chester and Hause

Chester may well move on this summer, with Huddersfield reportedly interested. Cahill would be the replacement, with a younger, more dynamic option being brought in alongside Mings. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No way! Cahill signs he starts! 

I don’t think we are going to find a better centre half than Cahill this summer! 

It's up to him to earn his place. If he is poor then he won't get games. Name and reputation don't have any merit in a Dean Smith side. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's still the dream team of Mings and Webster for me, with Philips sitting in front of them and Butland completing a bloody good defensive spine!

That would be a dream ticket, in the Championship.

• Like 1

'Hi, I'm 34 and hardly played in the last year - gimme at least the same as my last big contract with Chelsea!'

Not going to get it. He'll get a decent wedge as he's free but he'll be solid squad rotation for a year for a team that has just been promoted, needs bodies, and basically just needs to stay up this season.

7 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It's up to him to earn his place. If he is poor then he won't get games. Name and reputation don't have any merit in a Dean Smith side. 

Which is how it should be. But my point is he will be bought in as a first team player. After that it’s down to him to keep his place.