Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I get depressed on days like today when I'm scrolling through my Twitter feed and not a single villareport tweet to be seen. If something's going down, you can bet they'll be tweeting about it.

Glad to see Villareport not making stuff up again...

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

18/19

----------------------------------------Steer--------------------------------------

Elmohamady---------Mings---------Tuanzabe-----------Taylor

-------------------------------------Hourihane--------------------------------

-------------------------McGinn----------Grealish-------------------------

Adomah-----------------------------------------------------------El Ghazi

----------------------------------Abraham-------------------------------------

Versus.

19/20

----------------------------------------Steer--------------------------------------

Guilbert-------------Chester-----------Hause-----------------Targett

------------------------------------Hourihane--------------------------------

Jota-------------------------------------------------------------------El Ghazi

-----------------------------------Wesley-----------------------------------------

Five weeks to go - I don't think we're stronger than the team that finished 5th in the Championship yet.

Much to do.

But 19/20 is a better rating than 18/19?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

When does your patience run thin? I don't think I'm quite there yet, but relaxation has turned in to nervous concern. I'm probably two or three weeks from out right panic.

There's so much work to do but then not much has happened anywhere yet. But then again, we have more to do than most other teams...

I was hoping we'd have signed a few more this week. We're approaching point where we're going to consistently need multiple signings a week just to fill the squad before the window closes....sorry, I mean SLAMS SHUT...!

Where are you on the Relaxed/Panic line?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Another quiet night to do with Villa transfer news then. Wouldn't say I'm worried at the moment but is it really likely that we're going to sign the 7+ players or so we need?

Let's see here...

*New GK*                                                                                         Steer                                                                                        Nyland

Elmo       *New CB*     *New CB*    Targett                      Guillbert    Chester       Hause         Taylor

*New DM*                                                                         Thor? or Tshibola?

*New MR*    Grealish   McGinn    El Ghazi                         Jota       Hourihane   Lansbury   Green                           

Wesley    *New ST*                                                                *New ST*   Kodja

So Yes, I think we will see 6-7 New faces still arrive...

Edited by AvfcRigo82

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

18/19

Versus.

19/20

-----------------------------------Wesley-----------------------------------------

Five weeks to go - I don't think we're stronger than the team that finished 5th in the Championship yet.

Much to do.

I'd agree with this that we are weaker than how we finished the season, so just a tad worried, not about whether we get signings in, which I'm sure we will, but the fact that our team will need some time to gel, time which the premier League season just doesn't give, is a little concerning. 

I don't doubt nothing is being done in the background regarding transfers, that's just how the cookie crumbles, we're probably hitting lots of brick walls with stubborn clubs wanting more money which can go on and on into the window. Really hope we don't leave the bulk of remaining transfers to the end of the window

24 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Our problem is, that we had a squad good enough to win the playoffs, but unfortunately a lot of the key players were on loan. So instead of having a core of players in place and adding to it, we have to try to get the original core back together and then add to that. We’ve managed to get a couple, but the rest may or may not happen. The most likely and probably the most important is Mings. He’s not just a good player, he also brings a lot of leadership and spirit to the team. He’s the go to player when the chips are down. He’s not irreplaceable, but getting him would make the overall task that much easier. 

Our spine has definately gone Dave.

No consistent No.1

Tuanzebe & Mings

McGinn & Grealish

Abraham.

3 of those have gone back to parent clubs and we will now be lucky to see 1 of that trio return.

A new GK likely to arrive.

At least the new spine is being built around Jack & John and so far Wesley has been a good 1st piece of that Puzzle, if the rest of the spine is replaced with the same kind of quality then we might not be too disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

18/19

Versus.

19/20

Much to do.

I agree with the sentiment but the bit in bold is a little bit misleading. 

That wasn’t the side that finished 5th in the Championship, it was the side that won 10 in a row in the championship. Imagine if we’d had that side from the start of the season!

i think that side would be good enough for survival but the aim will be to improve on it before the window closes. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Suso out.

I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happens before the season is out. If you look at our strongly rumoured targets they all seem to be Smith signings. When you get a guy like Suso in you expect him to use his contacts in the Spanish game. Obviously we may see some signings from there but for now I do wonder how much input he is having. Kalinic was apparently his signing. 

we still have 4 to 6, maybe more players to come in, one possibly Mings.

Its highly likely that the team after the transfer window closes will be much better than the one we had at Wembley, no point in comparing right now when we only have half / just over half the team that will be the "A" team.

Wesley will hopefully prove to be a great signing, Guilbert will hopefully be an improvement at RB, Targett is a huge improvement at LB, Grealish/McGinn are still there, El Ghazi has joined permanently, Jota on the right is a huge improvement on Green (and may not even be no1 choice on the right after all signings are done).

We will certainly buy 2 x CB and 1 x DM, and possibly even a GK, once they are purchased i have no doubt overall the team will be much stronger.

Absolutely zero need to panic......yet (until we see who the remaining signings are), and anyone claiming the Wembley team is better than our current team is at best highly misleading and at worst just plain cuckoo.

I agree there is much to do signings wise though, hopefully we will see something soon.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happens before the season is out. If you look at our strongly rumoured targets they all seem to be Smith signings. When you get a guy like Suso in you expect him to use his contacts in the Spanish game. Obviously we may see some signings from there but for now I do wonder how much input he is having. Kalinic was apparently his signing. 

Translation: made up rumours from lazy journos and basement bloggers

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Translation: made up rumours from rag tops

I'm just going by the targets that the reliable journos have tweeted. I.e. Phillips, Butland, Benrahma and Webster. 

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'm just going by the targets that the reliable journos have tweeted. I.e. Phillips, Butland, Benrahma and Webster. 

Are they reliable? Is it bandwagon effect? Someone posted a link in response to me last few weeks that Guardian had best transfer rumour accuracy of something like 32%. Sun et al were in the teens. I've seen Villa transfer rumours started by sites I know are just young kids with internet site and FB page trying to make a buck and then the BM has it the next day with clickbait site as the source. It's completely laughable

18 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are they reliable? Is it bandwagon effect? Someone posted a link in response to me last few weeks that Guardian had best transfer rumour accuracy of something like 32%. Sun et al were in the teens. I've seen Villa transfer rumours started by sites I know are just young kids with internet site and FB page trying to make a buck and then the BM has it the next day with clickbait site as the source. It's completely laughable

I am not going by publications but journos. John Percy, Nick Mashiter, Matt Maher etc. They get info from Villa and release it when the club allows them to. Everyone else like Nicko etc are guessing or getting fed by agents. 

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I am not going by publications but journos. John Percy, Nick Mashiter, Matt Maher etc. They get info from Villa and release it when the club allows them to. Everyone else like Nicko etc are guessing or getting fed by agents. 

How many of them knew about Moraes? 

44 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I really don't think his role is limited to "signing players"

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

When does your patience run thin? I don't think I'm quite there yet, but relaxation has turned in to nervous concern. I'm probably two or three weeks from out right panic.

There's so much work to do but then not much has happened anywhere yet. But then again, we have more to do than most other teams...

I was hoping we'd have signed a few more this week. We're approaching point where we're going to consistently need multiple signings a week just to fill the squad before the window closes....sorry, I mean SLAMS SHUT...!

We've signed 5 players already. The only Premier League team with more signings so far is Norwich (with 6).

Relax.

Most of the business happens towards the end of the window. We've shown plenty of activity already, so no doubt there are several negotiations ongoing for Mings, Butland or another GK, one more CB, one or two defensive midfielders, and possibly an attacking option. The only essentials out of that are a CB and a defensive midfielder, so would be nice to sort them ASAP. Besides that, I'm happy to wait until deadline day.

I have complete faith in Purslow.

I think Smith has some main targets he wants to acquire and we are currently focusing on bringing those in. At some point, once those options have been either signed or exhausted, I think there will be a flurry of players coming in from outside the UK. 

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I’m shitting if mate and fearing a season like the one we got relegated right now.  A run of defeats at Villa Park and we’ve all seen what happens to the atmosphere. 

I don’t want to panic but I can’t help it. I think the quality of the league is a lot of higher now than it was the year we went down.