Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolute great shout. Wanyama I would much prefer to Phillips.  Has experience in better league's and I think be a great fit here.

He's definitely a better choice than the unproven Phillips, much less of a risk. Wanyama isn't even that old (just turned 28) and has done well in the Prem before for Spurs and Southampton. He'd be playing in a decent midfield with McGinn and Grealish and would shield our defence. And his wages wouldn't be that high as Spurs are one of the tightest top six teams. How much they ask for is another matter but I reckon as long as they get back what they paid for (£11mil) plus a little extra they would sell.

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He's definitely a better choice than the unproven Phillips, much less of a risk. Wanyama isn't even that old (just turned 28) and has done well in the Prem before for Spurs and Southampton.

Less of a risk yes. A lot more expensive, also yes. Guaranteed to be a hit for what will be a juicy outlay? No.

All signings are risks really, you have to find the balance.

I think Phillips is brilliant and would be much better value for money at £20m rising to £25m than Targett is at £11m rising to £17m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

rumours abounding at the minute of a double dip for maupay and benrahma being done today for 45m...

Bit expensive for my liking if true

All started from an utterly bullshit tweet from a guy sarcastically being ITK (see my rant about this above). It’s nonsense. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wanyama is shot, his body is not up to PL football anymore. If he was, he wouldn't even be attainable. He'd be starting for Spurs week in, week out.

Probably the same people that want Cahill 

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wanyama is shot, his body is not up to PL football anymore. If he was, he wouldn't even be attainable. He'd be starting for Spurs week in, week out.

How do you know his body is shot? Spurs have quite the ensemble of midfielders to choose from, and from what I've seen Wanyama doesn't play ahead of many of them.

Eriksen, Moura, Sissoko, Alli, Dier, Winks, Son, Lamela.. Even as a holding midfielder, he is probably 3rd down their list. Which is a list that ranks among Europe's elite.

Not saying I think we should sign him, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't a useful squad player for Spurs in their bid to win the Champions League as well as finishing top four in the PL.

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He got injured, then Sissoko came in and was outstanding for them, probably their best player last season. Wanyama was still getting in the squads, just couldn't get his first team place back. But to say his body is shot is premature, the guy's only 28. 

On 01/07/2019 at 10:44, useless said:

None of our strikers have done much in their careers, Davis is still young himself, Kodjia and Hogan are both in their late twenties and haven't even played top flight football, and O'Hare isn't even a striker. It's not actually beyond the realms of possibility that Hepburn-Murphy could go on to achieve more in the game than any of them, ridiculous how people are writing him off just based on a loan spell at Cambridge, where he was managed by Calderwood, who probably probably completely misused him.

Not boring, actually something really interesting to think about. Although I'm hoping that Moraes can become a big hit for us. Can see us spending big on another striker as well. Hopefully Hepburn-Murphy gets a good loan move, and stays fit.

Edited by useless
On second thoughts maybe it was.

14 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

rumours abounding at the minute of a double dip for maupay and benrahma being done today for 45m...

Bit expensive for my liking if true

Benrahma yes please, maupay not so much.

3 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Yeah, they are probably the most useful account on Twitter. Saves you having to click on the pathetic, embarrassing, cringeworthy clickbait articles.

You wouldn't be referring to the Birmingham Mail by any chance, would you?

🤪

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The premier league starts 5 weeks tomorrow... feel like we’re going to see a lot of signings in the next week or so. 

You would expect that Deano and his team would want their first choice 18 players with them for the friendlies and summer camp in the US. The Minnesota game is on the 17th of July so you would think he would want his core players signed with enough time to book their flights to the states. Gotta be happening within the next week, surely?

• Like 2

Just now, A'Villan said:

How do you know his body is shot? Spurs have quite the ensemble of midfielders to choose from, and from what I've seen Wanyama doesn't play ahead of many of them.

Eriksen, Moura, Sissoko, Alli, Dier, Winks, Son, Lamela.. Even as a holding midfielder, he is probably 3rd down their list. Which is a list that ranks among Europe's elite.

Not saying I think we should sign him, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't a useful squad player for Spurs in their bid to win the Champions League as well as finishing top four in the PL.

Because he's constantly injured. He can never stay fit for a sustained run of games. It's not that he's down the pecking order. In fact, he's their first choice holding midfielder when fit. Holding midfield was their biggest weakness this season because all the players they had there either were injured (Winks, Wanyama) or not good enough (Dier)...which is why they've splashed the cash on N'Dombele.

He just can't move as well anymore. If you watched the CL semifinal vs Ajax, he was just shot and was substituted relatively early. On his day he's an excellent player though, but I'm fairly certain that day has passed.

• Like 3