Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Can we not just shop abroad.

There must be thousands of undiscovered Tonevs out there just waiting to be snapped up for peanuts.

You're forgetting about inflation. Tonev would be worth at least 6 bags of peanuts nowadays.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for him. I know most fans dislike him, but I always thought he did ok all things considered 

I always liked Paul Lambert, and I think he’s a decent manager. If he’d had double the budget (the budget Tim Sherwood had and couldn’t motivate as a team) them who knows where we’d have been.

Edited by alreadyexists

Thinking about it I really hope we're in for a couple of CM's in this window. Maybe Phillips and Rongier (swap for Kalinic). I just think that Hourihane and McGinn need a bit more competition and I don't think the likes of Lansbury and Bjarnason is enough.

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

In an attempt to get this back on topic, worth having a look through the 2018 transfer window: https://www.premierleague.com/news/667700

You can see some of the different strategies (or lack of) from teams that were in the mid-table / relegation mix:

• Bournemouth's best signing was David Brooks from Sheffield Utd for £11.5m, no Premier League experience.
  • Burnley mostly bought players from the Championship. Their worst signing was Joe Hart from Man City.
  • Fulham only signed players from top-tier sides, with the exception of Joe Ryan from Bristol. Disastrous.
  • Leicester are probably a level up from these sides, but their best signing was James Maddison from Norwich for £20m, again no Premier League experience.

Also, there aren't actually that many transfers between 2 Premier League sides. When they do happen, it's usually an out-of-favour player being dumped by the top sides. I suppose if you're playing regularly, the last thing you want to do is step down into a relegation battle.

So I think our strategy of mainly shopping around the Championship and the more obscure European leagues makes sense for now, until we're able to attract experienced top-flight players who are moving out of ambition rather than desperation.

Evolution not revolution.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Someone seems desperate for us to sign Charlie Austin, the story of us "going for top goalscorer on 35k a week" is recycled almost daily.....

Charlie Austin's agent perchance?

Wonder if we will let Davis go out on loan ? I’d like to think we sign a replacement if so - Wesley and Kodjia are decent options on paper but all it takes is one freak injury.. otherwise I’d keep him even if I’m not totally convinced by him at this level.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Wonder if we will let Davis go out on loan ? I’d like to think we sign a replacement if so - Wesley and Kodjia are decent options on paper but all it takes is one freak injury.. otherwise I’d keep him even if I’m not totally convinced by him at this level.

Davis may as well go out on loan even if we only had 1 striker.  He needs a half season of regular playing at least, then we can see more what he has to offer!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Kodjia isn’t good enough for this level in my opinion, we need at least one other proven centre forward to challenge Wesley, someone like Charlie Austin would be perfect 

• Confused 2