Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The issue we had then was spending huge money and wages on players with zero resale value.

25m for Kalvin Phillips sounds like a lot but over the course of a 4 year contract, playing at the same level he was at Leeds, and his age etc

Every transfer is a risk and the more you pay the more the risk. 

No matter the level transfers are a huge part of the modern game and it's all about getting value for your money. If he does well £25m is nowt as you say. If the Prem finds him out or exposes some weaknesses, he's suddenly a Championship player on £25m player wages. Suddenly the transfer fee is only one of your big problems. 

54 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Southampton fans don't rate him! 

Then again, our own fans hated Westwood etc etc.

Trust in DS and all that. 

Slow and weak seems to be the consensus of their dislike.

Has got a good cross on him though.

Hope the scouts see more than the fans but must admit it doesn't sound overly brilliant. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The issue we had then was spending huge money and wages on players with zero resale value.

25m for Kalvin Phillips sounds like a lot but over the course of a 4 year contract, playing at the same level he was at Leeds, and his age etc

There were still players that we spent relatively big sums of money on that were of an age that wouldn't have looked like a risk if they'd been as good as our scouts/management probably hoped:

Nigel Reo-Coker (£8.5m), Zat Knight (£5m, was it?), Curtis Davies (£10m), Marlow Harewood (£4m), Steve Sidwell (£5m). The list goes on and on. Had those players been better than 'average', then we might not have made a big loss on every single one of them.

The players we're looking at now have mostly had 1 good season each, and prior to that, they were average or good for their team but not standout players.

I'm on board with spending what is required. But, just to play Devil's Advocate, if we go and spend £20m on Mings and £25m on Phillips, and then Mings picks up an ACL injury and Phillips looks no better than Lee Cattermole in the Premier League, I'm sure we'll all be bemoaning these figures, just like we have with many players before.

There is an urgency to get bodies in, but I also hope that Suso and Purslow don't feel that we have to overspend because of this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This, also the point isn’t spend whatever they ask, it’s trust in 2019 Villa that they are making the right considerations with more information about our finances than we do.

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

There is always a whipping boy. Doesn’t matter how well we are doing. It’s the law. 

My money is on it being Green. I think we'll keep him in the squad as an option, and Smith will plan to get more out of him, but I think he'll be the scapegoat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

There were still players that we spent relatively big sums of money on that were of an age that wouldn't have looked like a risk if they'd been as good as our scouts/management probably hoped:

Nigel Reo-Coker (£8.5m), Zat Knight (£5m, was it?), Curtis Davies (£10m), Marlow Harewood (£4m), Steve Sidwell (£5m). The list goes on and on. Had those players been better than 'average', then we might not have made a big loss on every single one of them.

The players we're looking at now have mostly had 1 good season each, and prior to that, they were average or good for their team but not standout players.

I'm on board with spending what is required. But, just to play Devil's Advocate, if we go and spend £20m on Mings and £25m on Phillips, and then Mings picks up an ACL injury and Phillips looks no better than Lee Cattermole in the Premier League, I'm sure we'll all be bemoaning these figures, just like we have with many players before.

There is an urgency to get bodies in, but I also hope that Suso and Purslow don't feel that we have to overspend because of this.

Those players would have been great buys had we just been promoted, too.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Those players would have been great buys had we just been promoted, too.

This is going into new realms of 'what if' :lol:

Those players in 2019 for 2010 fees would be great for a promoted team.

Those players in 2019 for inflated fees to put them in line with 2019 prices, would have been madness for ANY team.

What would £8.5m for Nigel Reo Coker and £10m for Curtis Davies look like if it time-travelled into 2019?! £40m for NRC and £50m for Davies? :crylaugh:

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This is going into new realms of 'what if' :lol:

Those players in 2019 for 2010 fees would be great for a promoted team.

Those players in 2019 for inflated fees to put them in line with 2019 prices, would have been madness for ANY team.

What would £8.5m for Nigel Reo Coker and £10m for Curtis Davies look like if it time-travelled into 2019?! £40m for NRC and £50m for Davies? :crylaugh:

Moving very far from the point...

If we need to pay a little bit more to secure the best players, we should, as we don’t have a first XI to compete and we will be relegated otherwise (trusting Suso and Purslow’s grip on our finances)

In 2010 we spent more than we should on those players, but crucially we didn’t need them as they were bottom half premier league players at the time. You made the comparison, not me!

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, CosmicVillan said:

O'Neill sacked by Forest...does that make Lolley to Villa more or less likely ?

Possible but not on a Wednesday - Joe will probably be on here checking out our other new signings as per Delphinho123's itk. 

21 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Moving very far from the point...

If we need to pay a little bit more to secure the best players, we should, as we don’t have a first XI to compete and we will be relegated otherwise (trusting Suso and Purslow’s grip on our finances)

In 2010 we spent more than we should on those players, but crucially we didn’t need them as they were bottom half premier league players at the time. You made the comparison, not me!

I was just playing Devil's Advocate to the 'pay whatever, it's not my money' approach.

Posted this in the wrong thread just now.... 

Dele Ali, Harry Maguire, Joe Gomez, Snake, Callum Wilson, John Stones, jack Buckland, James Tarkowski, Nathan Redmond .... We’re all signed from clubs not in the Premier League and have developed into full internationals. Not sure what my point is just pointing that out when people dismiss buying the championships better players. Some moaned when we brought overpriced prem players... 

Phillips McGinn and Grealish were imo the best 3 midfielders last season in the championship and would compliment each other nicely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Sky saying we are in negotiations with Southampton regarding Matt Targett. 

If we are; I would guess the conversation might have been something like this:

We want Targett and can offer you £8m. No, that is not anywhere near enough. How much do you want then? £20m minimum. How about £8.5m? :)  

It would be nice to get someone in today. 🤞

Edited by John

In regards to Webster I have Just remembered we still have Scott hogan whom they have shown interest in reportedly .... £15mill + add ons plus Hogan I reckon would do it .... 

Edited by thabucks

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Slow and weak seems to be the consensus of their dislike.

Has got a good cross on him though.

Hope the scouts see more than the fans but must admit it doesn't sound overly brilliant. 

So we're after a ginger Neil Taylor then.....?