Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

10 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

You're thinking of the other lot down the road.  And funny you should mention Blackpool.

Off topic I realise, but I'm never one to miss out on some top pedantry.

I appreciate it. Yeah Holloway playing for them is another piece of the puzzle that fits :)

Maybe they can look forward to the return of such a club legend as their next manager after they bin the current one, when he fails again next season.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Sometimes you just attend a match and see a player on the opposition that stands out.

Its obvious to even the layman sometimes that this player will step up.Jack Grealish for example...other players are just “good for the Championship” Aiden Flint could be a good example here.

The hard part for clubs/scouts is figuring which is which but I would suggest that they have some set of criteria to measure agains to help them make the decision.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has an insight on what attributes a club look for in players that they consider good enough to step up?

6 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Sometimes you just attend a match and see a player on the opposition that stands out.

Its obvious to even the layman sometimes that this player will step up.Jack Grealish for example...other players are just “good for the Championship” Aiden Flint could be a good example here.

The hard part for clubs/scouts is figuring which is which but I would suggest that they have some set of criteria to measure agains to help them make the decision.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has an insight on what attributes a club look for in players that they consider good enough to step up?

Wes Edens has said that he is a big believer in statistical analysis, so I would imagine that will be a big factor in our recruitment policy. I’m sure it won’t be the only thing, but ignore it at your peril when the boss publicly endorses such a policy. 

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Signing PL players is the worst kind of transfer for where we're at. Either the selling club doesn't want them or they're probably old and on massive wages

Sure there are players unwanted else where that can excel here 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Sure there are players unwanted else where that can excel here 

Besides the likes of Mings, Tuanzebe  who we've basically trialled can you suggest some as most mentioned I find junk personally. Not spurious links like Chelsea youth on loan either

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Besides the likes of Mings, Tuanzebe  who we've basically trialled can you suggest some as most mentioned I find junk personally. Not spurious links like Chelsea youth on loan either

There will always be some less high profile players that may, for some reason or other, not have fulfilled their potential. But generally I think you’re right, once they’re at a PL club, transfer value and wages make them an unattractive proposition. Certainly in terms of value for money. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

There will always be some less high profile players that may, for some reason or other, not have fulfilled their potential. But generally I think you’re right, once they’re at a PL club, transfer value and wages make them an unattractive proposition. Certainly in terms of value for money. 

Steve Sidwell likes this

• Like 1

Signing PL players is the worst kind of transfer for where we're at. Either the selling club doesn't want them or they're probably old and on massive wages

I reckon this is spot on.

We're Aston Villa a Premier League club, but we can't (yet) afford to poach other Premier League club's top talent and (thank McGrath) gone are the days of signing aged players with ”Premier League experience“ looking for a final payday.

If there were any young Premier League players with enough quality or potential to play for us, then their club isn't going to want to let them go I wouldn't have thought unless on loan, so who does that leave us with as a potential source of new signings?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The longer the window goes on without signing a cb the prices will get more stupid I think.

I think we are better waiting a lil but longer with championship players. Come january if teams lile brentford and leeds are not near top of the league then they cabt justify stupid fees for their players.

I mean 30m for Phillips and 20m for benrama is stupid. 30m on Webster on one good season in championship is absolutely ridiculous when grealish was getting valued at 35m

These championship clubs are acting shit silly I think because no one will pay those fees and then they have smaller budgets to spend. If Brentford sold benrama to us let's say 15m that's a nice amount of money for they at that level to spend get some quality loans in or players. In addition they don't have to worry about ffp. 

Mings, Tuanzebe, Tammy, Hause.... 😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Targett or Bertrand at Southampton? Both are good enough for Southampton or higher, but both can’t play at once, and both would be an improvement on Taylor.

I’m sure there are lots of Premier League players that would improve us, despite not being wanted (or not wanting to stay as a rotation player) with their current PL club.

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Mings, Tuanzebe, Tammy, Hause.... 😉

See posts above. All loan players, only one of which at the time of writing that we've been able to convert to a permanent signing.

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Targett or Bertrand at Southampton? Both are good enough for Southampton or higher, but both can’t play at once, and both would be an improvement on Taylor.

I’m sure there are lots of Premier League players that would improve us, despite not being wanted (or not wanting to stay as a rotation player) with their current PL club.

I don't believe either are for sale. Maybe Bertrand but he's 30 in August which is not a deal breaker but was out most of last season with injury so for that I'd steer clear

6 minutes ago, Rossco76 said:

See posts above. All loan players, only one of which at the time of writing that we've been able to convert to a permanent signing.

But I think the argument still stands. IF we were to sign all of them, then all of them will have been deemed as ‘unwanted’ by their current Premier League club.

Those 4 players are perfect examples of times when buying a PL player is not a bad thing:

- A young player that isn’t good enough for a Top 6 first eleven, and wants game time (Tammy / Tuanzebe)

- A squad player good enough for our squad but not for their current club (Hause)

- A player that, due to whatever reason (injury/ personal/ management) hasn’t made it at their club, but we feel can make it here (Mings)

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

As a blanket rule this makes some sense. However, there are always exceptions - most of which are already mentioned. Players in recently relegated clubs are also good candidates...

.... Like Mooy. (no bias here. Honest!) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We shouldn’t simply rule it out as an avenue to add to the squad, though. There’s hundreds of reasons someone might fare better at one PL club over another. Salah and De Bruyne had to go through Italy and Germany respectively after Chelsea, but I would have been fine had we signed them straight out of Chelsea’s squad. Capoue’s been good at Watford after not making it at Spurs, Nathan Ake’s been good at Bournemouth, Ryan Bertrand, Andros Townsend. Hell, Albrighton’s been good at Leicester, especially for what they paid. Relegated players like Gueye, Van Aanholt and Fabianski have been decent/good too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

So signing a young player form a top 6 club on the fringes of the 1st team squad  (Krystian Bielik for example) is wrong and we should spunk millions more on an unproven at top level one season wonder (thus far) Adam Webster .... 

Edited by thabucks
Point clarified in post above
  • Like 2