Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

PS: it doesnt matter who does or doesnt know incoming players, its like office culture, if you have a 10 person team, and employ 4 new people, one of a couple of things can happen (or more), the 4 new people take on the culture of the 6 already there, if the 6 have a culture that is strong enough to bring them in to the fold, or the 4 develop their own culture and the initial 6 either have a separate culture, or a mingling for better or worse happens between the two groups.

Obviously there are many other variations, but you see my point, a group culture has a big impact on new incoming persons, for better or worse, from both angles of whether you are initially there, or a new arrival.

So having the right things in place, manager wise, staff wise, people wise, to have a strong enough culture to incorporate the new people in to it without damaging it, is actually really important.

A current example might be Man Utd, when they were at their peak a fair few years ago, i highly doubt those players would have accepted half the cr** that the current lot of players are like, they wouldnt have allowed it, becuase they were leaders and had a winning mentality, now you have the Pogba culture of bla bling self importance and he's one of their senior players, Roy Keane would have had him down a back alley back in the day :P

I agree to an extent but ultimately you have to look at the players ability and what he brings to the team before deciding whether to keep him or not.

Your office only has a budget for 10 people, if one of their contracts was expiring and your company took on bigger clients to serve with the workload doubled and you needed to up your game. Would you not take the opportunity to replace that individual with someone who was clearly more suited to the job at hand rather than offering a new contract to someone who couldnt do half the work and was very close to retirement? 

We've still got a core of players who came up together, and who's to say the new players wont instantly develop their own rapport with the existing players?

If we want to do well then quality needs to come before sentiment. 

As for Man Utd as an example, well maybe thats what we are trying to build when they had a core of youngsters all coming through at once, letting the likes of Mike Phelan and Paul Parker go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villarocker said:

Cheers mate. A new signing or two would help take my mind off the mesh! 

is that supposed to be mess, in a Sean Connery accent.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The decision to keep Whelan for another year is just based on our situation at the moment where we are having to recruit a lot of new players in a short space of time.If we had a full squad it makes sense to let him go.

Also it’s quite unusual that after having such a successful season ,we let most of those players go.Are we in danger of losing the momentum that we gained towards the end of last season?

18 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Seen it earlier, seems link started on a fake Twitter acc, the guy is linked with move to Lyon

Marvellous, now Useful.....we will have an adjective for every player at this rate.

we already have 2 Supers in midfield.

Whelan has been a very underrated player in his career, was Stoke's best midfielder for the best part of ten years, for most which they were a mid table Premier league side, but he's too old now, and not good enough for top flight football. Time to move on now and start a new beginning, which is actually a pointless thing to say, because he's already left the club, and we have moved on.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

The decision to keep Whelan for another year is just based on our situation at the moment where we are having to recruit a lot of new players in a short space of time.If we had a full squad it makes sense to let him go.

Also it’s quite unusual that after having such a successful season ,we let most of those players go.Are we in danger of losing the momentum that we gained towards the end of last season?

Momentum has been lost anyway, but it's nothing to do with the released players; Its more to do with the costs of over utilising loans.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We've lost:

• Mings
  • Tuanzebe
  • Hutton
  • Whelan
  • Jedinak
  • Abraham
  • Elphick
  • Bunn
  • Adomah

We've gained:

• Wesley
  • Jota

I think it's hard to make any sort of claim that we've strengthened!

The loan players weren’t ours to begin with and don’t forget we’ve signed Guilbert, El Ghazi and Hause too

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The loan players weren’t ours to begin with and don’t forget we’ve signed Guilbert, El Ghazi and Hause too

I assume he left El Ghazi and Hause out on purpose because they're no change

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

2 quality players who will improve the squad, Hause was a bargain too

Yeah who disagrees. But he listed who we've lost and who we've gained on balance and they don't fit either category unless you want to put them in both

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

2 quality players who will improve the squad, Hause was a bargain too

I think it’s because they don’t improve the squad, because they were in the squad last season. They’re both good deals, but they don’t strengthen what we already had.

If we sign Mings, everyone will be happy, but we’ll just have maintained the status quo from last season, albeit on a permanent basis. 

As it stands, we have possibly improved on Elmo with Guilbert, Adomah with Jota and Tammy with Wes, but each of those are very debatable at this point.

• Like 1

We need to make sure we build a team of calm players that don't celebrate when scoring or making clearances - this VAR doesn't half make an impact on a game!

Edit: I wonder if Zimbabwe have a player called Calmness Personified in their ranks? 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

speaking personally i did advocate a new contract for Whelan, but not really for playing reasons, i advocated it for continuity and being a leader off the pitch to help bed in the new signings and bring them in to our culture easier. (especially considering the number of new signings we will likely have).

My opinion was it might be good to have the leaders off the pitch to bring these new players in to the fold and our culture, like Grealish, McGinn, hopefully Mings, and i also thought a new 1 year contract for Whelan and maybe even Jedinak might assist that, my point was we dont want to lose the good team spirit and culture we built last season, with all these new players coming in.

As a club we seemed to have a togetherness towards the end of last season that I can't remember feeling for 15 odd years or more, it would be so sad to lose that and end up with a pogba culture throughout the team as so many of the old guard left, I suppose we will have to trust that who is left and Deano etc can keep that togetherness.

i would imagine a few other felt similar, not for his "energy and skill", but for his "leadership within the team overall".

I can see your point BUT I don't think he would feel like part of the squad if he was never getting any game time and had no chance of doing this.  I think that is more divisive than team building.  Better to let him go and find a club he can be a proper part of as I'm sure he still wants to play.  May have been different were we re-building in the Championship and he had accepted a much lesser contract!