• Whelan
  • Jedinak
  • Abraham
  • Elphick
  • Bunn
  • Adomah

We've gained:

• Jota

I think it's hard to make any sort of claim that we've strengthened!

Corrected. Wesley could still fall through.

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I expected better and more proactive scouting to be honest. 

You’re basing that on internet rumors, not actual scouting. Because the real evidence - El Ghazi, Wesley, Guilbert - points to an extensive scouting network. And whether we’re in for Butland/Phillips or some foreign blokes we’ve never heard of (more likely), my point still stands: we can’t simply force them to take our deal.

Edited by Thats2
Edit: I’ve realized my mistake, not El Ghazi. He was so poorly used before Deano I’ve got it in my mind he was a later signing.

What do people think is happening? Do you really think that Smith, Suso and co are sitting on their arses watching box sets of Eastenders? 

I'm sure stuff is happening. They will know that the squad is threadbare just as much as we do, they will also know far better than us which positions they want to recruit for, and I'm sure they have a bunch of targets that they are in discussions with/about. 

Ultimately I would rather we got the right signings in late than a bunch of journeymen and wastermen early (especially not just to appease people on an Internet forum!). I'm sure that the team behind the scenes are working frantically.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrSmirch said:

As things get busier he does tend to break a lot of stuff

He gets the vast, vast majority of stuff wrong. Most so called journalists have no idea whats happening at Villa and Nixon isnt even one of the better ones.

If somebody like John Percy breaks something its only because he knows its legit. If Nixon breaks it, its because he wants publicity. He bullshits a lot. Yes he has got genuine info, but rarely, and people give him credence because of those rare tidbits. I bet his accuracy is pathetic though and I definitely take anything he says with a dumper truck of salt.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

We've lost:

• Mings
  • Tuanzebe
  • Hutton
  • Whelan
  • Jedinak
  • Abraham
  • Elphick
  • Bunn
  • Adomah

We've gained:

• Wesley
  • Jota

I think it's hard to make any sort of claim that we've strengthened!

Richards, don’t forget Richards

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 8pints said:

I think there'll be a period where we confirm around 4 signings in the space of a week.

And no, I don't think the period will start August 1st :) :flag: 

Let's just hope it's not a late period hey, no man's nerves can withstand one of them! 

• Haha 2

When does pre-season training start? I think we'll see a lot more business once everything is up and running 100% at the club again.

Right now our signings have by and large been due diligence.

Jota came in while we were releasing players so the deal only happened then because he was part of getting rid of Gardner.

Then the club moved towards activating their loan clauses before they expired which got us El Ghazi and Hause.

Then the club moved towards a player that could take weeks to clear Internationally, and he was only formally announced because the deal leaked. 

I don't think any of our "business" right now has been our actual "business" aside from Wesley. The rest was just the club doing what they needed to do. 

So those hopeful for business to pick up might wanna find out when pre-season training starts for Villa. I think our pick up in business will coincide with everyone coming back to work. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

He gets the vast, vast majority of stuff wrong. Most so called journalists have no idea whats happening at Villa and Nixon isnt even one of the better ones.

If somebody like John Percy breaks something its only because he knows its legit. If Nixon breaks it, its because he wants publicity. He bullshits a lot. Yes he has got genuine info, but rarely, and people give him credence because of those rare tidbits. I bet his accuracy is pathetic though and I definitely take anything he says with a dumper truck of salt.

The first time Nixon became known to me and, I suspect many others, was a few years back when he was attached to The Mirror and got a lot of direct info on Blackburn. IIRC, he was never wrong with that stuff and he used to get some other titbits on other clubs. That's the sole basis for his Sun gig and reputation as a journo who supposedly has sources and widespread inside knowledge.

Now, I don't know if he has good info on Blackburn even. Not that anyone gives a **** about them should he actually know anything about them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I was surprised Whelan was let go

I'm surprised the number of people who wanted Whelan to get a new contract.

Stoke didn't think he was good enough 2 years ago for the Premier League because he was an ageing slow limited midfielder, and thats a squad that got relegated they deemed he wasn't good enough for..

2 years on - he's now aged 35 and got even slower, just imagine for a moment that he hadnt been playing for us for the last 2 years.. now think to yourself is this the type of free signing you'd like us to be making after getting promoted to the premier league?

This position is so important in the modern game, and one that Dean Smith likes to play. The holding midfielder can be so much more than someone who just breaks up play. Leicester won the title because Kante could win the ball then make excellent decisions with that ball to set up quick attacks (rather than just lay it off to the nearest person).

Edited by Junxs
spelling
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'm surprised the number of people who wanted Whelan to get a new contract.

Stoke didn't think he was good enough 2 years ago for the Premier League because he was an ageing slow limited midfielder, and thats a squad that got relegated they deemed he wasn't good enough for..

2 years on - he's now aged 35 and got even slower, just imagine for a moment that he hadnt been playing for us for the last 2 years.. now think to yourself is this the type of free signing you'd like us to be making after getting promoted to the premier league?

This position is so important in the modern game, and one that Dean Smith likes to play. The holding midfielder can be so much more than someone who just breaks up play. Leicester won the title because Kante could win the ball then make excellent decisions with that ball to set up quick attacks (rather than just lay it off to the nearest person).

speaking personally i did advocate a new contract for Whelan, but not really for playing reasons, i advocated it for continuity and being a leader off the pitch to help bed in the new signings and bring them in to our culture easier. (especially considering the number of new signings we will likely have).

My opinion was it might be good to have the leaders off the pitch to bring these new players in to the fold and our culture, like Grealish, McGinn, hopefully Mings, and i also thought a new 1 year contract for Whelan and maybe even Jedinak might assist that, my point was we dont want to lose the good team spirit and culture we built last season, with all these new players coming in.

As a club we seemed to have a togetherness towards the end of last season that I can't remember feeling for 15 odd years or more, it would be so sad to lose that and end up with a pogba culture throughout the team as so many of the old guard left, I suppose we will have to trust that who is left and Deano etc can keep that togetherness.

i would imagine a few other felt similar, not for his "energy and skill", but for his "leadership within the team overall".

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

@MaVilla do you think thats worth £35k/w? 

He won't know many of the new players, especially the foreign lads we buy who would never had heard of him. Don't forget there is a 25 man squad limit in the premier league too, is it worth having a slot taken up for a Mr Motivator? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

He won't know many of the new players, especially the foreign lads we buy who would never had heard of him. Don't forget there is a 25 man squad limit in the premier league too, is it worth having a slot taken up for a Mr Motivator? 

no not 35k a week, but i thought if he wanted to stay for say......15/20k a week at his age?

i think having a team that is together, has good team spirit, where the fans and players feel like a team and fight for each other, rather than a Paul Pogba Culture is worth literally its weight in gold.

Yeah there are flaws in the thinking, he may not of made the 25?, or maybe we will be so light on actual numbers that making the 25 would actually be possible?, i dunno?

My main thought was around not losing what the fans and players had last season, i didnt really think it through to conclusion, just that it would be sad for 10 new players to come in, develop their own ways and it not continue what we had last season.

But, DS seems big on players personality as much as their ability, so it seems fairly certain that we wont lose it, which is good.

14 minutes ago, Junxs said:

PS: it doesnt matter who does or doesnt know incoming players, its like office culture, if you have a 10 person team, and employ 4 new people, one of a couple of things can happen (or more), the 4 new people take on the culture of the 6 already there, if the 6 have a culture that is strong enough to bring them in to the fold, or the 4 develop their own culture and the initial 6 either have a separate culture, or a mingling for better or worse happens between the two groups.

Obviously there are many other variations, but you see my point, a group culture has a big impact on new incoming persons, for better or worse, from both angles of whether you are initially there, or a new arrival.

So having the right things in place, manager wise, staff wise, people wise, to have a strong enough culture to incorporate the new people in to it without damaging it, is actually really important.

A current example might be Man Utd, when they were at their peak a fair few years ago, i highly doubt those players would have accepted half the cr** that the current lot of players are like, they wouldnt have allowed it, becuase they were leaders and had a winning mentality, now you have the Pogba culture of bla bling self importance and he's one of their senior players, Roy Keane would have had him down a back alley back in the day :P

Edited by MaVilla

I wouldn't have minded us keeping Whelan but merely the fact that the club felt we are able to just let him and the others go gives me confidence that there is a lot going on behind the scenes regarding signings.  No need to worry yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wouldn't have minded us keeping Whelan but merely the fact that the club felt we are able to just let him and the others go gives me confidence that there is a lot going on behind the scenes regarding signings.  No need to worry yet.

Yeah ur prob right, in Deano we trust :)

1 hour ago, privateer said:

The first time Nixon became known to me and, I suspect many others, was a few years back when he was attached to The Mirror and got a lot of direct info on Blackburn. IIRC, he was never wrong with that stuff and he used to get some other titbits on other clubs. That's the sole basis for his Sun gig and reputation as a journo who supposedly has sources and widespread inside knowledge.

Now, I don't know if he has good info on Blackburn even. Not that anyone gives a **** about them should he actually know anything about them.

This. If I remember correctly he was clued up around the time David Bentley was hot property.