Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

30 minutes ago, John said:

Celtic reported on Sky to have given up on the Turnbull move. Time for us to step in?

seems to be the case... hopefully it's a repeat of the McGinn signing from last year for us!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The talk of the money of some of these Championship players is getting silly tbh. First it was Maupay for £20m, then Benrahma for £20m, now the Bristol fan says they’d want £20m for their defender, plus theirs talk of Butland for £20m, though I suppose that’s due to his England call-ups and previously being a Prem player.

If there’s any truth in these prices, then surely it’s better to just go abroad and look for better players in their early 20s that have played regular games for a decent club for what would probably be the same price.

Is it really worth placing that much weight in the whole ‘they’ve played and got settled in England’ factor?

Yes. Also people are constantly failing to grasp how much PL teams are awash with TV money. It's like a housing bubble

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why would Celtic “hear of it and pull the plug”, surely they’d double up their efforts to try and get it done quickly!?!

They probably know they can't compete. They lost out on McGinn to us when we were still in the Championship.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why would Celtic “hear of it and pull the plug”, surely they’d double up their efforts to try and get it done quickly!?!

They seem to make a bid and expect it to be accepted. It may work when only Scottish clubs are involved, but not when English clubs are as well.

It seems they don't take rejection from Scottish clubs or players too well, I guess it's a new situation for them.

14 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I think there's a few people getting slightly carried away with this transfer window, it's all well and good bringing in players where needed (and there are a lot needed). However replacing too many players will have a negative effect, we can't just let Kodjia, Green, Taylor, Elmo, & Steer all go. For one you need to replace all of these players even if they are backups to the first team, we have a big enough job on our hands just getting players in to fill our first team. Secondly it may well negatively impact the dressing room, not having many players left from last season. 

Going up to the PL successfully is all about building a PL squad over multiple transfer windows. We buy a left back this window who will hopefully be our starting left back, Taylor get's pushed to backup and competes for the shirt. Next season we replace Taylor with a new left back who will push for the starting place even harder. The same goes for right back and left wing, anywhere that there is a weakness in depth.

you are right......but you have to survive the first season, which is tricky.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Anyone seen much of Jay Da Silva? Was on loan at Bristol City from Chelsea I think. Seems to be bombing forward from LB in the early stages of the England U21 game.

I’ve only seen a couple of times, but not overly impressed. Decent going forward but looks very weak defensively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Anyone seen much of Jay Da Silva? Was on loan at Bristol City from Chelsea I think. Seems to be bombing forward from LB in the early stages of the England U21 game.

We're trying to get him to sign on a permanent, reported we have an agreed fee of £2m.

He has said he's making a decision after his England duty is done.

It's also been rumoured by someone who has been ITK in the past that we're trying to get all three of Kalas, Palmer and DaSilva from Chelsea for a combined £10m.

DaSilva is very clever, knows his height is a weakness but uses his body well when challenging for headers.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

We're trying to get him to sign on a permanent, reported we have an agreed fee of £2m.

He has said he's making a decision after his England duty is done.

It's also been rumoured by someone who has been ITK in the past that we're trying to get all three of Kalas, Palmer and DaSilva from Chelsea for a combined £10m.

DaSilva is very clever, knows his height is a weakness but uses his body well when challenging for headers.

Kasey Palmer looked good when came on as sub  for Bristol City against us at Villa Park in April! Would be a good pickup, good player 

Edited by Villan4Life

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The talk of the money of some of these Championship players is getting silly tbh. First it was Maupay for £20m, then Benrahma for £20m, now the Bristol fan says they’d want £20m for their defender, plus theirs talk of Butland for £20m, though I suppose that’s due to his England call-ups and previously being a Prem player.

If there’s any truth in these prices, then surely it’s better to just go abroad and look for better players in their early 20s that have played regular games for a decent club for what would probably be the same price.

Is it really worth placing that much weight in the whole ‘they’ve played and got settled in England’ factor?

Spot on Rob

55 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Just cast your mind back, weren't Villa asking up to £40-50 Million for Grealish who was a Championship player last year, What's good for Villa to ask that price also gives other teams the right to put a price on their Championship players as well?

Grealish was valued at around £30m at the end 17/18 season after Spurs tried to pull a fast one.

He has since signed a new contract with us before the 18/19 season that seen a min. release clause inserted of around £45m there or thereabouts.

This figure is based on Jack Grealish being the best player in the Championship by 3 country miles and he proved this last season.

Now we are back in the Premiership where we belong, the lad will soon be called upon for England duties and at the end of this season I would bet you anything that £45m figure will look mere peanuts. It will be more £80m+ by then.

So I suppose given the slight inflation of prices it's no suprise to see Benrahma, Maupay, Butland etc. being mooted around £20m tags, that doesn't mean they are worth it especially when there is much better quality available around Europe for a few quid more.

Jack's value is that for a reason. When any team in the Championship manages to bring through a similar quality player who is that club through and through then you'll see valuations for true quality.  ;)

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Just cast your mind back, weren't Villa asking up to £40-50 Million for Grealish who was a Championship player last year, What's good for Villa to ask that price also gives other teams the right to put a price on their Championship players as well?

What you and a few others have misunderstood from my post, is that I don’t have a problem with clubs asking for a high price. I’m saying there is clearly better value elsewhere, and that those players aren’t suddenly worth that amount - not when you consider the quality of player you could get abroad for the same amount.

To touch on the Grealish valuation. I felt that was more to do with the fact that he was 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, our best player, by a country mile. He, as a player at that time, was never worth £30-40m, but he was worth that TO US. Because without him, we pretty much had nothing other than an ageing Chester and a broken Kodjia.

I get that people want the going rate for their player, but Brentford asking for a good price for ‘one of’ their best players, is different to Villa asking for a good price for the very best player in our squad, who has the potential to play at one of the best clubs in the world.

• Like 2

Brighton are poised..

Burnley are bracing themselves...

Newcastle are looking to table a bid..

Chelsea are expecting a bid from...

It is believed that Arsenal are looking at...

It's shit but funny. You've gotta laugh.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

seems to be the case... hopefully it's a repeat of the McGinn signing from last year for us!

BBC Reporting Norwich have had a bid accepted: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48685494

"Motherwell have accepted a fee to the value of £3.25m for midfielder David Turnbull from Norwich City.

The newly promoted Premier League club submitted a successful bid to the Fir Park outfit after monitoring Turnbull's situation with Celtic.

They matched an offer of £3m plus £250,000 in add-ons from Celtic that Motherwell accepted last week.

But the 19-year-old and the Scottish champions could not reach an agreement over personal terms.

Celtic released a statement on Friday to say the "magnificent" offer made to Turnbull had not been accepted.

And it now looks less likely the Scotland Under-21 player, who scored 15 goals for his boyhood club last season, will join Neil Lennon's side."

20 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Fingers crossed we are also in for Turnbull as it would be crazy not to at that price. Even if we loaned him to a Championship club for a season.

It would be nuts not to.

Myself and @Villan4Life have been highlighting about him for a few months now, and his old team mate Jake Hastie who has since gone on to sign for Rangers.

Turnbull will be a major coup for whatever club he joins, especially at £3.5m!

• Like 2