Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Brighton are poised to sign Portsmouth defender Matt Clarke for £3.9million.

At that price we should be all over it.  Top CB with loads of potential.

Another great bit of extractive journalism. I can imagine the call now “Alright gaffer, Journo here, how close are you to making that bid?”... “Alright pal, I’d say we’re past ‘considering’ but we’re not quite at ‘launch’ stage yet. I’d say we’re poised”.... “Cheers gaffer, poised it is. Any idea how long you’ll be poised for?”.....”It’s hard to say. My sources understand the bank have accepted the internal transfer and that the amount is currently being considered by the accounting team. They’re in the process of launching the online banking system.”

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Junxs said:

The thing that worries me about Tuanzebe is that he only managed 30 games for across 1.5 years for us because of injuries

One was a broken foot, and i can't recall the other, but they were both 2 or 3 months in one go rather than "play 1 games, miss 2, play one, miss one" niggles like Lansbury for example

"West Ham want a player in return in any potential deal that would see Diop depart for Old Trafford but United not willing to give the Hammers the player they want."

I wonder who that could be - valued at approx 15M ??

Edited by SirSteveUK

1 minute ago, SirSteveUK said:

"West Ham want a player in return in any potential deal that would see Diop depart for Old Trafford but United not willing to give the Hammers the player they want."

They asked for Martial

The talk of the money of some of these Championship players is getting silly tbh. First it was Maupay for £20m, then Benrahma for £20m, now the Bristol fan says they’d want £20m for their defender, plus theirs talk of Butland for £20m, though I suppose that’s due to his England call-ups and previously being a Prem player.

If there’s any truth in these prices, then surely it’s better to just go abroad and look for better players in their early 20s that have played regular games for a decent club for what would probably be the same price.

Is it really worth placing that much weight in the whole ‘they’ve played and got settled in England’ factor?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

It's Anthony Martial

Reading that were lining up an 8 million pound move for Axel Tuanzebe but if they don't sell then  will go in for the Loan.

No more Loans for the Love of god unless we have option to buy if we Loan, no more of this business that leaves us doing the work all while other clubs rake in extra money from us.

I would love Axel to return so much but if it's just for a Loan for us to get him ready for them then forget it.

42 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The talk of the money of some of these Championship players is getting silly tbh. First it was Maupay for £20m, then Benrahma for £20m, now the Bristol fan says they’d want £20m for their defender, plus theirs talk of Butland for £20m, though I suppose that’s due to his England call-ups and previously being a Prem player.

If there’s any truth in these prices, then surely it’s better to just go abroad and look for better players in their early 20s that have played regular games for a decent club for what would probably be the same price.

Is it really worth placing that much weight in the whole ‘they’ve played and got settled in England’ factor?

When we were buying proven championship strikers,with a good record in the division for about £12m (a division record) 3 years ago , people were saying it was silly money. Like you said, 20m is being banded about for defenders and midfielders now(who both tend to be less expensive than strikers). It's really crazy. I don't think any player in the championship is worth that kind of cash.

No wonder the number of top flight English players is declining, as there is much better value to be had on the continent. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Reading that were lining up an 8 million pound move for Axel Tuanzebe but if they don't sell then  will go in for the Loan.

No more Loans for the Love of god unless we have option to buy if we Loan, no more of this business that leaves us doing the work all while other clubs rake in extra money from us.

I would love Axel to return so much but if it's just for a Loan for us to get him ready for them then forget it.

Doesn't his contract run out next year anyway? If we get him on loan he's largely our player for free anyway providing we wants to sign at the end of the loan deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Axel only has a year left on his contract i think so no option to buy needed,if we loan him for the season he is free to join who he wants after it.

59 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yet we slapped 40 mill+ on Grealish who are we to say anything. The world moves forward so do prices.

Think of it this way as well, championship team have some brilliant and talented players. The clubs these players play for compared to top flight teams earn peanuts, it's only right that anyone from the top flight or anywhere else is made to pay for a fantastic player from the championship. Some how the club s need to make money and selling there best players is a way to do it for maximum profit they can obtain.

The championship clubs are risking alot by selling there gems, they risk fading out of the championship all together for a start. The clubs are trying to build promotion winning sides so to sell there best players is a heck of a gamble to which they mite never recover from.

So you see of course I can fully understand  why they along with us at the time were slapping 20 mill plus tags on players. Championship clubs are having to deal with FFP in a big way now, earning 100k a match on tv deals isn't covering the costs and they need cash from somewhere and they see selling there prized stallions as a way to get that cash injection, so many ways in which championship clubs can justify the price tags.

I don't blame them at all and I think 20 million is a fair enough price to pay.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Smartin said:

Yep. I do think 95% of fans would be happy with 17th to be honest, regardless of dreams of top 10 finishes.

Of course they would. Considering the number of players who left at the end of the season, it's unrealistic to expect a new team to fire straight away. But it builds the foundations to move up. 

If we stay up then we would only need to bring in 2-3 to improve the quality in key positions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mooley22 said:

Axel only has a year left on his contract i think so no option to buy needed,if we loan him for the season he is free to join who he wants after it.

Which is why I can't see them loaning him to us. A permanent move makes sense for all if he won't sign a new deal.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Which is why I can't see them loaning him to us. A permanent move makes sense for all if he won't sign a new deal.

Hopefully Axel is thinking he will force a move to us through, now that would show commitment saying no to signing to Man Utd all while telling them he wants to join us.

Would be ace to keep him which would be 3/5 loanees kept and only two left to try and tie down in Tammy and Mings.

• Like 2

Loans of course aren't ideal but if it means we get players so good they wouldn't otherwise be available then it's an easy way to improve the team and improve the chances to stay up. Without loans we wouldn't have made playoffs in 2018. Without loans we wouldn't be back in premier league.