Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

6 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Cavaleiro, Costa, and sometimes Adama upfront (lol)

It was Jimenez up front pretty much 100% of the time though wasn't it, with Jota becoming a kind of second striker half way through the season. I must admit I watched Match of the Day exactly zero amounts of times last season and all of my Wolves knowledge comes from FPL and FPL podcasts. Im just highlighting that there are plenty of teams in the prem making do without any good 2nd choice strikers. Look at Spurs. When Kane picks up his annual ankle injury they don't trust Llorente so much that they go with Son and/or Moura (again, FPL podcasts mainly). This has proved pretty successful so again im making a shit, pointless point. :D

As I touched on, i'll be disappointed if we don't sign another striker, so I don't reaaally know what im trying to say. I THINK my main point is that some have said we need a 2nd option to stop teams figuring us out. I don't really buy into that based on a fair amount of examples, but I do think we need someone we can reliably turn to if Wesley gets injured or needs time to settle.

Its not beyond the realms of fantasy to get a top 10 place but will absolutely depend on what happens in the transfer market. In fact, its pointless trying to predict until we have a look at the squad on the eve of battle.

7 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Think people need to take a deep breath and relax for little while, staying up is our agenda next year , saying top 10 is way too hard on Dean Smith next year 

This.

We would all love a top 10 finish on our first season back.

I think the target this season is to build a young and vibrant attacking Villa team that can mount a reasonable mid table finish and gel together with a full season of PL experience under their belts.

- Anything more is a bonus and we use that to build on that next season.

We need to be very smart and savvy in the transfer market.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

A front three of El Ghazi, Wesley and Benrahma, with Grealish and Mcginn behind 😍.

Then if we can pull off Mings, Axel and Philips, no reason why we couldn't finish top 10 imo.

Good post, but we really need a good left back as well. Justin or Targett would do nicely, with Kongola being a pricy outside shot, but off setting his cost by offering good CB cover as well.

Axel is unlikely, so I would look at Tomori (unlikely if Lampard becomes Chelsea manager), Konsa (lot to learn defensively but huge potential), or again Kongola although that would mean having two left footed CB's. Shindler (Kongola's right sided CB partner at Huddersfield) is a dependable and much cheaper option (doesn't miss a game ).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thabucks said:

£8mill + Kalinic for Valentin Roger 🤔 

if rumoured interest either way is true ...

Sorry to quote myself but just saw this on news now .... https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/06/18/could-aston-villa-attempt-swap-deal-for-valentin-rongier/

Aston Villa should consider using Lovre Kalinic in a swap deal with Nantes for reported target Valentin Rongier.

Le Foot suggests that Villa want Rongier, and they could offer £13 million for his services.

I think I might try and become a clickbait journalist as apparently all you need to do is crawl through VT for inspiration.... More likely to be BS but it would be cracking business if we did do some kind of deal ...

• Like 1

Kongolo isn't a left-back, his main position is as a left sided centre-back, if we go for him it will be as an alternative to Mings.

Edited by useless

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This.

We would all love a top 10 finish on our first season back.

I think the target this season is to build a young and vibrant attacking Villa team that can mount a reasonable mid table finish and gel together with a full season of PL experience under their belts.

- Anything more is a bonus and we use that to build on that next season.

We need to be very smart and savvy in the transfer market.

Yep.

Of course we'd love a top 10 finish.

But I'll be more than happy if we finish 17th. Survival is the priority next season. Then build from there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Think people need to take a deep breath and relax for little while, staying up is our agenda next year , saying top 10 is way too hard on Dean Smith next year 

Yeah i agree in all honestly mate, just being optimistic. But you have to look at Wolves aswell i suppose. 

Apologies if it's been posted already, but this quote:

“I have a really, really good relationship with Dean. So obviously if one day he calls me and says ‘Neal, I need you in my team’ I would consider it. But at this moment I can’t be focused on other things than Brentford. Obviously, I really liked working for him, so if one day he wants to bring me to Villa or wherever I would listen to him because he has done a lot of good things for me.”

from this Independent article: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/neal-maupay-transfer-brentford-aston-villa-championship-premier-league-dean-smith-a8702426.html written back in December, is rather illuminating on Neal Maupay's future.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Kongolo isn't a left-back, his main position is as a centre-back, if we go for it will be as an alternative to Mings.

Kongolo was a left back at Feyenoord, and although he is primarily a CB for Huddersfield, he played eight games at left back last season.

Edited by villabromsgrove
spelling error

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Apparently we have enquired about Adam Webster from Bristol City according to Alan Nixon

Papers also linking Newcastle and Southampton to him it seems. 12m. Can't say I know anything about him. 

36 minutes ago, pete101 said:

This. You 10 is not only unrealistic, but just utterly unreasonable expectations 

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This. You 10 is not only unrealistic, but just utterly unreasonable expectations 

Of course bud. I understand what you’re saying. We probably will be in a relegation scrap next year, just had a bit of excitement reading through the threads, that’s all. Wasn’t really an ‘expectation’, more optimistic thinking 👍

I also think in the prem now you need multiple threats.

It's moved on from the Benteke days and one man isn't going to carry you the way defences have tightened up..

Asking a virtual unknown to come in and expect 10 - 20 goals in his first season is a big ask.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1