Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Bournemouth are entitled to try and maximise a fee for Mings, if they want to sell him. I think they are now shitting themselves, Howe has been made to look a bit of a tool letting Mings go and Mings performing as he did. Howe knows Bournemouth can’t compete with Villa now we’re back in Premier League, so he’ll try and get one up on us over Mings. We might have to be prepared to move on to other options if Howe plays silly buggers. Mings might have to force the issue with a transfer request. 

Howe really hasn’t been shown up though has he? 

Mings was signed by Howe. Mings then got injured for a long long time. Howe couldn’t risk putting someone in to a relegation battle when they weren’t fully fit. He loaned the player out and agreed a possible sell on if things went well. 

As for Bournemouth not competing with Villa, yes we are a bigger club with rich owners, but at present we don’t even have a first team, let alone a squad. Bournemouth have an established team and have been in the prem for a few years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we will sign Mings and Benrahma.  The rest will be unexpected signings. 

Butland will come. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Maybe Mings injury in the final is a bad one which could be complicating it? 

interesting comment to ponder.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

That doesn't really work. If we made a £15m bid, which Bournemouth deem as an acceptable amount, then they would just accept it, wouldn't they? Unless they don't see that as enough, then they would reject it.

If they accepted our £15m bid and then paid another club (say, £500k, under the table) to offer £20m, we'd just say "Okay, well you've already accepted our offer... so the choice is down to Tyrone."

Unless they decided to then reject the £15m offer, based on the fact that another club has (been paid to) put in another offer. Which would be an odd move by Bournemouth, because there is no guarantees that we would match that new £20m from the club that Bournemouth know have no interest in actually signing the player.

I’m not sure where this is going but if Bournemouth received a £15m offer from us they could then go to another club and ask if anyone wants to bid more. If another club does (whether they’ve bizarrely been paid to or not) they go back to us and say another club has bid 20, do you want to up your offer? 

The clause doesn’t change any of that. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m not sure where this is going but if Bournemouth received a £15m offer from us they could then go to another club and ask if anyone wants to bid more. If another club does (whether they’ve bizarrely been paid to or not) they go back to us and say another club has bid 20, do you want to up your offer? 

What if the other club want their bid to remain undisclosed? Just playing devil's avocado.

• Like 2

According to skysports.com, Stoke are after Joe Hart, so maybe this Butland rumour has legs? Edit- I scrolled down a bit further and it says we’re after him (Butland)

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

What if the other club want their bid to remain undisclosed? Just playing devil's avocado.

Yes that is where the clause comes in handy, we are told what the current highest bid is so we don’t accidentally over bid it. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

This genuinely made me lol.

He’s my hero. So much cash and so many bitches.

I sometimes wonder if it would be better if humans were completely wiped out. 

Well, he is in Coventry where they mostly have been.

3 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I thought Smith said after the play off final it was just a bad cramp for Mings?

i think he rolled his ankle in that challenge just before Derby scored,  but he was walking fine after the match (and running), so nothing to be worried about afaik.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Is Dunk really that good?  I don't think I've seen a Brighton match in a few seasons and have the impression in my head that he is a bit of on old fashioned, Jame Collins-type "foul & boot it long" type central defender.

27 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Firstly, the thought of a club giving another club a backhander is only bizarre if you think that everything in British football is above board. If you do, then great, but I think that's pretty naive, when you consider all the investigations to the dodgy dealings that got uncovered in recent years.

Secondly, so what you're saying (we bid £15m, another clubs 'bids' £20m, and then Bournemouth tell us of the offer), is covered in my previous post. If they've already accepted the £15m bid, then why would we need to increase our offer? Alternatively, if they've accepted our offer, but then have decided to reject our offer because another team has bid more, then they'd be playing a risky game, because the other club don't actually want the player. 

I, too, don't understand where this is going. Your original post is essentially saying the clause is pointless, because it will always happen when there's a bidding war. But I don't think most clubs actively want to encourage a bidding war. Most clubs will have a set amount they realistically want for a player, and when that amount is met, they will sell. This is especially true when the player wants away as well.

If a selling clubs was to always encourage a bidding war by disclosing bids to other interested teams, this will just put off teams wanting to do business with them. "Nah, there's no point us going for [insert player] from Spurs, because Levy will just tell the world about the offer and we'll end up having to pay £10m over the odds. Move on".

As has happened with Brugge, a lot of offers happen without the world knowing about it, so the point of this 'matching option' clause, is that if another team tries to sneak in and pip us to the Tyrone post, so to speak, then we would be made aware of an accepted offer.

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Is Dunk really that good?  I don't think I've seen a Brighton match in a few seasons and have the impression in my head that he is a bit of on old fashioned, Jame Collins-type "foul & boot it long" type central defender.

Dunk is outstanding! It’s an absolute joke he isn’t an England regular.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Dunk is outstanding! It’s an absolute joke he isn’t an England regular.

I've seen an decent amount of Brighton games and tend to agree, were he at a sightly more "fashionable" club I'm sure he would be in team by now. He is certainly good enough for us.

• Like 2