Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Some Villa fans: Need premiership players not more from Championship REEEEEE!!!!

Same Villa fans after Juniper league signing: This is excellent. I know nothing about him but this is excellent

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Some Villa fans: Need premiership players not more from Championship REEEEEE!!!!

Same Villa fans after Juniper league signing: This is excellent. I know nothing about him but this is excellent

Past experience of expensive Championship strikers:  McCormack, Hogan

Past experience of expensive strikers from Belgium:  Benteke

I mean, I can see why...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Isn’t Steer out of contract this summer? I think he will surely get a new contract? Maybe we secure him before we progress Butland/Etheridge so he doesn’t threaten to walk?

Think he signed a 1 year extension recently.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Isn’t Steer out of contract this summer? I think he will surely get a new contract? Maybe we secure him before we progress Butland/Etheridge so he doesn’t threaten to walk?

he signed a 1 year extension a couple of months back, his contract now runs to 2020.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, I can see why...

so basically, buy all the things in the Belgian country thing ya?

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, I can see why...

I was referring to players not strikers. Hogan was a brainless transfer by dinosaur and they didn't know McCormack was a dipso. My point stands 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think I'm the only one worried about potentially spending over £130m this window :D 

Not worried about spending over £130m - but worried owners might get bored and only give us £3m for future windows !

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, I can see why...

The cynic in me says balaban? Serious coin too at the time.

My bad. Went to Belgium after us.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistske

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, I can see why...

Just a simple fact there are more quality strikers in Europe. More shit ones as well. But more strikers! Sure I had a point here some where 🤔

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think I'm the only one worried about potentially spending over £130m this window :D 

It does feel like it’s a roll of the dice. I guess we were always going to be gambling either way - not investing significant funds could be even more of a gamble.

I think as long as the majority of players brought in are potentially sellable assets if the worse was to happen next season, I think we’ll be ok from a financial point of view. I don’t like to think of negative outcomes but it’s going to have to be a consideration.The influx of new faces to the club and hoping they find their feet at the club is something I’m more wary of, rather than the money that will be spent.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just a simple fact there are more quality strikers in Europe. More shit ones as well. But more strikers! Sure I had a point here some where 🤔

so you are basically saying there are more things outside of the thing?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not. Providing wages are sensible and the correct clauses are put in contracts in the event we go back down, I see no issue with us spending a lot in transfer fees. The money is there from the Premier League TV rights so.... Doesn't matter too much.

Going down with players on ridiculous money without clauses worries me, but we have to trust that the board know what they are doing.

This is going to be such an exciting summer. No-one knows what our recruitment team are up to or how much we're going to spaff. Hope there will be a few more random Wesley's. 

And hope to McGrath they work out. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It does feel like it’s a roll of the dice. I guess we were always going to be gambling either way - not investing significant funds could be even more of a gamble.

I think as long as the majority of players brought in are potentially sellable assets if the worse was to happen next season, I think we’ll be ok from a financial point of view. I don’t like to think of negative outcomes but it’s going to have to be a consideration.The influx of new faces to the club and hoping they find their feet at the club is something I’m more wary of, than the money that will be spent.

Its a weird scenario - think back to when we got relegated - the best way to go back up was to try and hang onto to as much as your squad as you possibly can. That wasn't an option for us.

Now were are on the opposite trajectory - but building on last seasons squad isn't an option - some of the better players were loanees - and of the 3 only one is likely to return. its another rebuild on the fly - thankfully we appear to have resources - but by the law of averages some of the arrivals just won't work out - equally some will excel. 

I am hoping a degree of last season momentum, plus the excitement of a new look squad, many players new to the PL and keen to do well will keep us clear of trouble.

Historically these busy summers have been good for us, Little, Atkinson, Lambert all did well after a big influx of new players - but some of those didn't have transfer window restrictions and some could even sign players  up until March......interesting times

• Like 1