Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

A journo covering Belgium soccer suggests he is a good signing for the money but will take time to adjust and for Villa fans to be patient as he is used to bullying defenders and the Premier League is much more physical. Not as natural a goal scorer as Benteke, but in demand and plenty of development left.

I guess at £22m he is cheaper than Tammy would have been and seems a like-for-like player. I guess no return for Tammy now. We have a 6'3" striker now for a more diminutive plan B....

Edited by thunderball

Cripes. Ambitious. Our record transfer fee casually laid out on a rainy thursday afternoon. Who saw this coming?

(nb if true 😉)

Sorry I just saw that Darren Bent was 18 rising to 24M so maybe not quite record.

Edited by HKP90

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

How did he get a work permit to play in Belgium?

there isn't a work permit system there, its a UK thing

if FM taught me anything...we have work permits (which in theory post Brexit everyone will need) france has a 5 non EU player restriction, spain has 4, Russia has 5 Russians on the pitch at any time, china has something similar, Italy you can only buy 2 non EU players from abroad per season, I think Holland, Belgium and germany have nothing

Edited by villa4europe

Nice! 20 - 25 million seems like a lot of money for someone with only 13 goals in the belgium dvision, but then again he also scored 2 goals in the Champions League, which were both decent goals. Lets see what he can do! :)

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

there isn't a work permit system there, its a UK thing

if FM taught me anything...we have work permits (which in theory post Brexit everyone will need) france has a 5 non EU player restriction, spain has 4, Russia has 5 Russians on the pitch at any time, china has something similar, Italy you can only buy 2 non EU players from abroad per season, I think Holland, Belgium and germany have nothing

Yeah i can attest to Holland in FM 19, as ajax I buy all the young things in Brazil and every other country.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah i can attest to Holland in FM 19, as ajax I buy all the young things in Brazil and every other country.

As Ajax it is easy, but the rule is that an non-european player must get a wage of 30% above the Eredivisie average. This is too protect are own players. This comes to around 400.000 a year salary that must be payed as a minimum, peanuts for Ajax but for all other clubs outside the top 3 it is almost impossible.

assuming the current and proposed transfers go through, team might look something like:

Butland (20m)

Guilbert -- CB -- Mings (15m) -- LB

Grealish -- Phillips (15m) -- McGinn

Jota (4m) -- Wesley (22m) - El Ghazi (5m)

so £81 million spent.

Would then require a LB, CB & probably a new winger to challenge El Ghazi/Jota. (3 players minimum) - possibly 40m needed for that?

So might top out at  100 - 120m spent?

I actually quite like the look of that team if it turns out to be true.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

lets hope this actually gets over the line and we arent gazumped...

wm.png

& he gets a work permit. Whilst that never seems much of a problem with some clubs, we have been stung by this before. Perhaps the fee and being in the PL now will swing it. 

Plus 4 years living and playing in Europe. Thought it was only 3 years before you were OK to move to England.

Surely PL have worked themselves into a corner by giving Gabriel Jesus one. He was €31m I believe.

Let's look at Suso/Purslow/Smith's permanent signings thus far if we include this latest news:

Kalinic - 29yo - £6m

Guilbert - 24yo - £5m

Jota - 29yo - £2m + player

El Ghazi - 24yo - £4m ~ £8m (conflicting reports)

Wesley - 22yo - £22m

Not much to go on but some general trends that are more plausible than others:

• More players have come from abroad than domestic leagues (thusfar at least)
  • General focus is on younger players, coming in to their prime, who should only increase in value.
  • This is not the case for the Goalkeeper. If we are looking for a new keeper, experience and ability is more valued than their potential future sell on fee.
  • Prior experience of Smith's system a bonus (Jota and, arguably, El Ghazi too).

Excited to see what else is to come!