Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't want to come across as one of these 'We NeEd tO siGN BalLotTeLi anD BaLe' people, but I do have concerns about multiple Championship targets.

Adding one or two as squad players seems fine to me, but when there is rumour-talk of potentially bringing in 3-4 to be first team players (Maupay, Benrahma, Phillips etc), this is when I start to get worried.

We're already hoping that McGinn and Grealish will be able to sufficiently contribute, and they're the only two names that are stapled into our starting eleven. Adding El Ghazi, and potentially Mings, means that's two more players that we're hoping will cut it.

I see where people are coming from, when they say that the Championship is still a league of good enough quality to make the step up to the Premier League. But I feel that we could be going into the season hoping that two thirds of our squad make the step-up to a new level that they've never played at. I do feel that it's less of a risk to get players from the French, Spanish, German or Italian leagues - with the added bonus that there is more often a bargain. Yes, there are a lot of crap teams in those leagues too, but also, the top half of all of those leagues will be pretty-much Premier League quality. I'd rather our team had a mix of players that we hope will make the step-up, and also have players that have consistently played at a higher level.

Honestly I thought quite a lot of the football in the championship was absolute trash, but I appreciate that that does not mean that there are no decent players there.

That said, I think you have made a good point. What I would say, though is that as a newly promoted team, I would go for a cohesive unit of unknown players over a team with a couple of worldies every time.

• Like 4

Just now, HKP90 said:

Honestly I thought quite a lot of the football in the championship was absolute trash, but I appreciate that that does not mean that there are no decent players there.

That said, I think you have made a good point. What I would say, though is that as a newly promoted team, I would go for a cohesive unit of unknown players over a team with a couple of worldies every time.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree there. I suppose our issue is that, whichever route we go down, an awful lot of work needs to be done in pre-season to make any team we build a cohesive unit, just because of the amount of players we need.

I think this pushes Mings, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi and Hause up into that 'calculated risk' bracket, because even though they're largely unproven in the Prem, they will be confident that they can play well together.

Briefly going into Football Manager mode, if we were to bring in Phillips, Maupay AND Benrahma. I'd then hope that the remaining GK, CB, LB & back-up striker options are proven at a top league.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Does '2 wingers' include El Ghazi as one of them?

No, not for me it doesn't. We've only got El Ghazi who is a competent winger at this level, Green is miles off the pace and I think Jota will be used more as a back up for Grealish. We need another starting winger and somebody who can rotate/come off the bench and actually make a difference. 

If we start the season with El Ghazi and only sign one other winger then we're in big trouble imo.

• Like 1

Growing really tired of English pundits on the radio screaming for clubs to bring Bale back to England.

Once a player leaves these shores it is like time stands still for them. It has been 6 years, he isn't the player that left. Far from it. Mentally and physically.
They expect him to come back and be 2013 Bale. Just talking absolute nonsense.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Growing really tired of English pundits on the radio screaming for clubs to bring Bale back to England.

Once a player leaves these shores it is like time stands still for them. It has been 6 years, he isn't the player that left. Far from it. Mentally and physically.
They expect him to come back and be 2013 Bale. Just talking absolute nonsense.

He'll be a terrible signing for whoever ends up with him. He's won everything he wanted to win, he's on huge wages, his injury record is shocking and he was never as good a player as the price tag suggested. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Marquee signing = Gareth Bale

Well there are a lot of golf courses around Birmingham so he can do his rehab on the fairway.

Sure he'd enjoy that.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

People keep banging on about us signing some sort of big tent, I thought the circus along with the theme park had gone when NSWE took over from the Chinese Ringmaster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

People keep banging on about us signing some sort of big tent, I thought the circus along with the theme park had gone when NSWE took over from the Chinese Ringmaster. 

I’d love a big tent instead of playing small time with tepee’s!

Show some ambition and splurge the cash on Cristian Pavon from Boca.

would probably cost a bit but him and El Ghazi on the flanks would be exciting.

Great skill, works really hard and is really really fast.

Might be out of our league thou.

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Show some ambition and splurge the cash on Cristian Pavon from Boca.

would probably cost a bit but him and El Ghazi on the flanks would be exciting.

Great skill, works really hard and is really really fast.

Might be out of our league thou.

Nice shout. Before the Copa would have been cheaper!

Think we might need to revisit our decision to use loan market. There are just too many holes to plug.  - Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to patch up with the odd loan - we can still build for a time when we don't need loans when we get on an even keel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Think we might need to revisit our decision to use loan market. There are just too many holes to plug.  - Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to patch up with the odd loan - we can still build for a time when we don't need loans when we get on an even keel. 

Yeah for sure. I'd take Tuanzebe back on loan no matter the criteria. He'll likely leave United at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avfcwills10 said:

I can't be the only one thinking (in addition to Mings and Hause), we need to bring in a top quality CB to play on the right hand side?

For me, Goalkeeper, Left Back, 3 CB (including Mings and Hause), 1 CDM, 2 Wingers and 2 Strikers? That's ten as a minimum for me. Does anybody think we would be okay with less than that?

Dammit, completely forgot about another CB. Definitely need another quality one alongside Mings because if the worst happens and we signed Mings but lost him to a long term injury, Hause and Chester would not be strong enough to keep us in the PL.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Purslow - I think the model signing for Aston Villa is John McGinn

Also Purslow - Gareth I will match your 500k euro per week contract and welcome you aboard the good ship Aston Villa. 

I don't fancy us to pay 20m for a keeper.

To those who say we need two CB's plus Mings and two more wingers. I'd say yes, but the type of backups I guess should and will be cheap ones. Lower leagues cheap gems or abroad. McGin, Hause type of signings. (Although we can't put them in the same bracket as John was playing at SPL, While Hause was playing for Dingles reserve team).

That would leave a massive work for :

Mings, CB, LB, CM, RW and ST. Basically 6 signings which I expect all to be around 10m or more (20 for striker). If we average 12m for these signings we'll need to pay around 72 which is an ok amount. We've already paid around 10m so far. That would keep 18m to get our backup signings, most importantly (CB, Winger, CF, CM and Hause).

I think we'll pay more than 20m for the main striker. Less than 10m for the LB. The cb could be interesting, as I could see a loan or free agent there, or a cheap talent coming from somewhere with less than 10. The CM and RW will be tricky but I could see us putting 15 or more for the winger (I could see us signing Benrahma).