Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

50 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

A tad unrealistic.  I'm not sure Strootman ever hit the heights predicted before his knee exploded, he was being talked up in the way that Frenkie de Jong has been this season before the injury.  He's still got four years left on his contract at Marseilles, they are going to want a huge (€30m+ ?) fee and he'll want the wages which come with it.  

I’m not saying I want Strootman, but don’t Marseille have financial problems and need to sell players? I can’t imagine they’re in the best bargaining position to ask for high figures.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's OK, got our eye on a kitman from the Championship to takeover when Dean leaves. Thomas Frank his name I think.

All good fun!

Genuine question, why do you think you've not managed to get up to the playoffs since first year with so many good players knocking around your club last few seasons? Too many weak points in amongst the good players?

Certainly a very well run club. I'd imagine you'll have a real run when you move to the new stadium. Maybe you'll have a summer of no sales and go for it big time the year after.

Selling players hasn’t helped along with the fact we don’t get loan players in anymore,haven’t done for past 2 seasons.We are a bit like a poor mans Arsenal very good on the eye but soft under belly mainly due to not having a tough guy in midfield.Thomas Frank has started to address this in signing a defensive midfielder last month and I’m sure we have at least another 5 players to come in this summer.I hope we can hold on to most of our players and give it a go next season but if clubs meet our valuations players will leave there is nothing you can do about it.

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’m not saying I want Strootman, but don’t Marseille have financial problems and need to sell players? I can’t imagine they’re in the best bargaining position to ask for high figures.

I read the same thing Rob, they've offered him around already. Maybe a certain Mr Amavi might be available on the cheap?

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I love Jack Grealish but I don't think he's better than Zidane. 

I think that he is. Zidane lacks pace, he is 46 now after all...:)

• Haha 2

Yes it does. Your argument (if I get you) is to pay stupid money for players from Brentford cause Deano has worked with them and knows their ability. It's a common mistake managers make in abundance, and while it does work out sometimes, it's a fact we can find just as good quality much cheaper abroad. So if we intend on just handing money to Brentford's scouting department, why would we keep spending money on our own?

Now if you argued ONE player I could kinda get on board, as I wouldn't feel iffy about signing a single Brentford player, but when you say players, that's a huge red flag for me. And that's how you get relegated. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes it does. Your argument (if I get you) is to pay stupid money for players from Brentford cause Deano has worked with them and knows their ability. It's a common mistake managers make in abundance, and while it does work out sometimes, it's a fact we can find just as good quality much cheaper abroad. So if we intend on just handing money to Brentford's scouting department, why would we keep spending money on our own?

Now if you argued ONE player I could kinda get on board, as I wouldn't feel iffy about signing a single Brentford player, but when you say players, that's a huge red flag for me. And that's how you get relegated. 

Let's do both hey.

• Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Why wouldn't Deano try and get some players in that he knows and trusts could do a job for us?

If they were massively over priced? If they are injured? If we've found better value elsewhere? If we're looking at a Premier League players in the same position so it's less of a risk?

There are plenty of reasons.

I think we may well be interested in some of them, but I don't think we should have our pants pulled down on price, if we can't get them for a price that fits our budget we'll go elsewhere, and so we should. Brentford are not the only club that have good players, and they are not the only players Smith can get a tune out of.

He did pretty well with players he didn't know last season...

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because Smith getting players he knows and trusts ( on one occasion, ie, now) as said by @VILLAMARVis not in the least incompatible with the need for scouting for alllllllllllll the OTHER players we will need both now, and in the future.

Id have thought that was obvious ?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

If they were massively over priced? If they are injured? If we've found better value elsewhere? If we're looking at a Premier League players in the same position so it's less of a risk?

There are plenty of reasons.

I think we may well be interested in some of them, but I don't think we should have our pants pulled down on price, if we can't get them for a price that fits our budget we'll go elsewhere, and so we should. Brentford are not the only club that have good players, and they are not the only players Smith can get a tune out of.

He did pretty well with players he didn't know last season...

Those are reasons not to go ahead and buy them, not reasons why he shouldn’t try and buy them if he thinks it’s what he wants.

Jeeezz.

• Like 1

They're not mutually exclusive are they.

As we all know hopefully AEG is the first of 3 with Mings and Hause coming in. Guilbert and Jota have come in. And Kalinic in Jan.

Just in that lot there's a blend of PL cast -offs, players from abroad and a player Deano has worked with before and rates and could get in. And a load of different expenditures.

The idea that we either buy all Championship players or all cheap scouted talent from abroad etc is just a bit tiresome tbh.

He'll do what he can with the budget he's got. I'm just thankful he seems to be doing good things with it so far :thumb:

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Depends on how many bidders they get and if they manage to sort things out. We didn't sell Jack last summer.  

46 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I read the same thing Rob, they've offered him around already. Maybe a certain Mr Amavi might be available on the cheap?

I was thinking the same thing 🙂

wouldn’t mind him back. He still has sympathy for our club and has gained experience (EL final), plus we need a left back

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Those are reasons not to go ahead and buy them, not reasons why he shouldn’t try and buy them if he thinks it’s what he wants.

Jeeezz.

Well the thread has previously stated these players are believed to be valued at £20m each, so I gave reasons why we shouldn't try to get them with the price already a factor.

If you ignore the price of course there's no reason for him not to try.

Sorry if that wasn't apparent.

• Like 1