Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sne

Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

Recommended Posts

If we are going to raid Brentford my thinking is it would be Maupay over Beramha.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sturridge,Welbeck, Carroll, Cahill, Diame, Llorente and whoever else is on a free that you want to chuck in....you can debate the pros and cons as much as you like, it is a speculation thread after all, but we will not even be looking into signing these type of players. Non starter. Not anyone's remit to scout out these lot.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After we went ten games unbeaten, Smith spoke in an honest and straightforward way about how much of an important role some of our more experienced players played in that run of games, and how we couldn't have done it without them. If he really did say that, it wouldn't surprise me to see us going for at least one player with a bit of experience, similar to what Wolves did with Moutinho. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hippo said:

If we are going to raid Brentford my thinking is it would be Maupay over Beramha.

 

I prefer Benrahma if he is fully recovered from ankle surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, useless said:

After we went ten games unbeaten, Smith spoke in an honest and straightforward way about how much of an important role some of our more experienced players played in that run of games, and how we couldn't have done it without them. If he really did say that, it wouldn't surprise me to see us going for at least one player with a bit of experience, similar to what Wolves did with Moutinho. 

I don’t get why fans are so scared of us signing one or two experienced players. I get we’re a bit scarred by Richards and Lescott but not all players in their 30s are past it. If they are good professionals and the terms  are right what’s the big deal? We need more than just a team of 11 players. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Strootman anyone? Marseille need to sell players, he's an experienced 29 year old Defensive Midfielder, 45 caps for the Netherlands.... The Dutch Roy Keane... Or am I being a tad unrealistic here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Kevin Strootman anyone? Marseille need to sell players, he's an experienced 29 year old Defensive Midfielder, 45 caps for the Netherlands.... The Dutch Roy Keane... Or am I being a tad unrealistic here?

He's a good player, and would fill a role we need, he's had his injury problems though so if we were to go for him I'd suggest we'd need decent cover.

I think it would depend on who else is interested and what they can offer, any club that could offer European football would be ahead of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hippo said:

If we are going to raid Brentford my thinking is it would be Maupay over Beramha.

 

Who's Beramha?? Definately Maupay over whoever this Beramha guy is ;)

 

Oh you mean Benrahma? Benrahma over Maupay for me if i had to choose!

Edited by Villan4Life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Kevin Strootman anyone? Marseille need to sell players, he's an experienced 29 year old Defensive Midfielder, 45 caps for the Netherlands.... The Dutch Roy Keane... Or am I being a tad unrealistic here?

 

A tad unrealistic.  I'm not sure Strootman ever hit the heights predicted before his knee exploded, he was being talked up in the way that Frenkie de Jong has been this season before the injury.  He's still got four years left on his contract at Marseilles, they are going to want a huge (€30m+ ?) fee and he'll want the wages which come with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's OK, got our eye on a kitman from the Championship to takeover when Dean leaves. Thomas Frank his name I think.

All good fun!

Genuine question, why do you think you've not managed to get up to the playoffs since first year with so many good players knocking around your club last few seasons? Too many weak points in amongst the good players?

Certainly a very well run club. I'd imagine you'll have a real run when you move to the new stadium. Maybe you'll have a summer of no sales and go for it big time the year after.

I think we have sold to many good players over the past few seasons, unfortunately we have to, to survive, I think this year was a collection of things that went wrong, DS leaving (on a losing run as well) a new coach continuing that losing run, the death at 28 of our head of recruitment Rob Rowan that hit all the players very hard, but mainly our defence, including goalkeepers making too many silly errors in gifting goals to the opposition, our midfield and forwards didn't let us down, and we scored without a problem, hence the interest in our forwards, but that's no good if let down by the defence, hopefully we are going to rectify this next season.  

Or maybe we might sell no one, add to the squad and go for it big time in our last season at Griffin Park to coincide with opening the new stadium next year, who knows, Football depends on skill, also a bit of luck on the way helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Nobody said all of his recruits were former Brentford players. But we've been linked with a lot of Brentford players. Not hard to understand why people are discussing it, is it?

It is only lazy journalism, linking us to Smith's former players. Of course we can discuss these players, but we should not get downcast or excited until we see them signed.

Our new setup does not give anything away. I think any legitimate links, apart from those to last season's loan players, will only become public just before they sign.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I think we have sold to many good players over the past few seasons, unfortunately we have to, to survive, I think this year was a collection of things that went wrong, DS leaving (on a losing run as well) a new coach continuing that losing run, the death at 28 of our head of recruitment Rob Rowan that hit all the players very hard, but mainly our defence, including goalkeepers making too many silly errors in gifting goals to the opposition, our midfield and forwards didn't let us down, and we scored without a problem, hence the interest in our forwards, but that's no good if let down by the defence, hopefully we are going to rectify this next season.  

Or maybe we might sell no one, add to the squad and go for it big time in our last season at Griffin Park to coincide with opening the new stadium next year, who knows, Football depends on skill, also a bit of luck on the way helps.

Can't help but think that there might be a Norwich effect in the championship next season , they sold some top players before last season and were successful at replacement, could be a model many of the teams this season follow , cash in on major assert to build the squad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get why fans are so scared of us signing one or two experienced players. I get we’re a bit scarred by Richards and Lescott but not all players in their 30s are past it. If they are good professionals and the terms  are right what’s the big deal? We need more than just a team of 11 players. 

I see your point, but it doesn't fit with the "profile" they are looking for which is why I think it is unlikely. Not against it but ultimately, as you say, it it depends on the character of the player though and how professional they are.

Cahill = long standing international CB albeit has struggled to get into the Chelsea team this year. However, he's always been pretty level headed and a leader 👍

Sturridge = long term injury crock and has really struggled to stay fit. Also massive questions about motivation and attitude 👎

As has been said, the team have been working on a list of players both for championship & premiership, they will already know who they want. I think the reason Jota has been so quickly announced was that he was a target in either scenario and so that could have been in the pipeline for a number of weeks. I suspect we will see the Hause/El Ghazi/Mings deals this week and then go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to the discussion about Brentford players over the weekend, I just wanted to make the point that there has only ever been five £20m/+ plus transfers from the championship.

Sissoko, Pickford, Wijnaldum, Maddison, Bent(yes that one).

All but Maddison were bought because they had proven themselves in the Premier League, and all but Maddison and maybe Pickford were full internationals.

Now, they may be worth £20m each to Brentford, and it's their prerogative to get the best money they can for their players, but I would suggest they are unlikely to find buyers at those prices. Bidding wars tend to only happen between the really big clubs, players at mid level Championship clubs who have no Premier League experience just don't go for £20m plus, Maddison is the exception not the rule.

I agree with @jonjon this is just paper talk at the moment, it such an easy link for Smith to go back to his previous club and players he knows. We may be interested in one or all of them, but we'll only be signing them if we get some value. We now seem too savvy to go blowing our transfer budget on such a risk in the situation we are in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

With regards to the discussion about Brentford players over the weekend, I just wanted to make the point that there has only ever been five £20m/+ plus transfers from the championship.

Sissoko, Pickford, Wijnaldum, Maddison, Bent(yes that one).

All but Maddison were bought because they had proven themselves in the Premier League, and all but Maddison and maybe Pickford were full internationals.

Now, they may be worth £20m each to Brentford, and it's their prerogative to get the best money they can for their players, but I would suggest they are unlikely to find buyers at those prices. Bidding wars tend to only happen between the really big clubs, players at mid level Championship clubs who have no Premier League experience just don't go for £20m plus, Maddison is the exception not the rule.

I agree with @jonjon this is just paper talk at the moment, it such an easy link for Smith to go back to his previous club and players he knows. We may be interested in one or all of them, but we'll only be signing them if we get some value. We now seem too savvy to go blowing our transfer budget on such a risk in the situation we are in.

Didn’t we buy Bent from Sunderland in January while they were still in the Premier League? 

Agree with the others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get why fans are so scared of us signing one or two experienced players. I get we’re a bit scarred by Richards and Lescott but not all players in their 30s are past it. If they are good professionals and the terms  are right what’s the big deal? We need more than just a team of 11 players. 

I'm not against players 30+, but that have to be able to contribute on the pitch. Also, they tend to want big money as it is likely the last contract of their careers.

I don't think we should over pay for cheerleaders, or change the way we play just to accommodate one player.

The thing is there are not many out there that are going to fit our system. Our center backs are mobile, our full backs get up and down the pitch all game, our midfield are full of energy, quick wingers, forwards that need to press. It's a young mans game now. Our squad is small, so whoever we get in will need to be fit and available, we can't afford to have too many players in the treatment room for months at a time.

I don't mind getting experienced players in, but it has to be the right ones and on our terms.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t we buy Bent from Sunderland in January while they were still in the Premier League? 

Agree with the others. 

Bent went to Spurs from Charlton for £22m in 07/08 after they were relegated

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Bent went to Spurs from Charlton for £22m in 07/08 after they were relegated

Spurs spent 22m on a player back then?!

wow!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â