Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Terry is pretty much renowned for his reading of the game.  We even saw that when he played for us.

He was a far, far, far better centre back than Gary Cahill has ever been.

While Terry was good for us, even for him we had to play a certain way, specifically with quite a deep back line.

We need mobile defenders imo, Mings is one and we just need to ensure whoever we sign to partner him has similar attributes.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Terry is pretty much renowned for his reading of the game.  We even saw that when he played for us.

He was a far, far, far better centre back than Gary Cahill has ever been.

I disagree, he played with better players which in turn made him look better than he actually was, I thought Terry was average at best for us

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

While Terry was good for us, even for him we had to play a certain way, specifically with quite a deep back line.

We need mobile defenders imo, Mings is one and we just need to ensure whoever we sign to partner him has similar attributes.

Bruce would have played like that with or without JT. We saw that at the start of this season. Yes we would have had to do that necessarily with JT, but you play to suit your squad at times and he was pretty good for us in a tough league at a bajillion years old

We can't say he couldn't read the game, as it's obviously just not true

Edited by HalfTimePost

21 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Terry? I don’t think he’s one of the best defenders of all time, far from it, he lacked pace and reading of the game for me. He was a typical English defender, blood and guts style defender, I think Zatman agrees with me on this

You're on the wind up here aren't you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Not at all, do you disagree?

I think Bobzy already said it. I think it's universally accepted that he was one of the best readers of the game at his position. To play as long as he did with the lack of pace he has shows he must have had something.

It amazes me that some want to pursue these thirty something signings, remarkably short memories.

The club has already told fans its policy on how it will go forward, for those waiting for Sturrige, Cahill, Milner, Austin, I think this window is going to be a real disappointment.  Look at Dean Smiths Brentford, built around players with energy, pace and an ability to carry the ball.  Last season was a compromise using aging players brought in under Bruce’s tenure, the Premier League team will not be.

Time for this club to look forward, not back, time for the fans to do the same

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't forget they'll then replace them with players just as good for £3m each.

To be fair that is what they do, then sell them on, rinse and repeat.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, macandally said:

It amazes me that some want to pursue these thirty something signings, remarkably short memories.

The club has already told fans its policy on how it will go forward, for those waiting for Sturrige, Cahill, Milner, Austin, I think this window is going to be a real disappointment.  Look at Dean Smiths Brentford, built around players with energy, pace and an ability to carry the ball.  Last season was a compromise using aging players brought in under Bruce’s tenure, the Premier League team will not be.

Time for this club to look forward, not back, time for the fans to do the same

It’s not Dean Smiths Brentford he came into a very stable set up with excellent support team and did a great job.He always talked highly about his DoFs and the owner even after he left us.Its down to your scouting network to replicate what he had with us.

I just saw that Sessegnon is refusing to sign a new contract. I haven’t seen much of the PL this season, so I don’t know how he did, but last season he showed real talent. Could be a good signing.

3 minutes ago, AXD said:

I just saw that Sessegnon is refusing to sign a new contract. I haven’t seen much of the PL this season, so I don’t know how he did, but last season he showed real talent. Could be a good signing.

If he does leave he will probably join one of the big clubs for stupid money and sit on their bench for the next 3 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AXD said:

Apparently he wants to go to Spurs. Would be a good signing though.