Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

27 minutes ago, useless said:

Just seen that The transfer window in the Premier League closes on Thursday August 8 at 5pm. We need to average something like a new signing every three days until then.

You want 20 signings? 

On 08/06/2019 at 17:02, Tayls said:

Why on earth would we give him his last hurrah on probably over 40k per week to play about 5 games? No, just, no. 

And I’m sorry but if his desire to play is being questioned by one of the best managers in the world, in a team that were fighting for the title and that went on to win the champs league, then what is his desire going to be like at a team just promoted?  Literally makes no sense.

I never mentioned 40k - not sure where this figure came from ?

I would be looking at some type of deal that is linked to games played or similar. Look you have to realise that players like Daniel Sturbridge do not ordinarily come on a free - there's usually some reason or other behind this.

He is an exceptionally gifted footballer - he is a natural talent - but also comes with certain foibles shall we say.

we are not the only premier league team being linked with Sturbridge and I believe one way or another we'll see him at VP next year.

• Like 1

Well off the top of my head I'd say three centre-backs, a left-back, three central midfieders, three wingers, two strikers, and possibly a right-back, and a goalkeeper. So fourteen, but if we can get a few players who can play in more than one position then maybe we can get that number down.

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

we are not the only premier league team being linked with Sturbridge and I believe one way or another we'll see him at VP next year.

If you mean through someone elses colours at VP, then I doubt it as he'll most likely be injured

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

He is an exceptionally gifted footballer - he is a natural talent - but also comes with certain foibles shall we say.

Yeah, he's made of glass.

Remember when Baggies paid a fortune to have him on loan? That worked out well didn't it. 

• Like 1

On Cahill being slow; do we think that Smith and the team will employ the same tactic of having our defenders pushed up high in the Prem? The quality and pace of players in this league could punish us much more than in the Championship.

I know Smith wants to win every game, but it’s not crazy to think he might make a few tweaks here or there. Cahill, or similar, could still fit into Smith’s plans if the cost was right.

• Like 2

Just now, Xela said:

Yeah, he's made of glass.

Remember when Baggies paid a fortune to have him on loan? That worked out well didn't it. 

That was great. I had a bet with a baggies mate that he wouldn’t score 5 goals. I think he struggled to reach 5 games! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Well off the top of my head I'd say three centre-backs, a left-back, three central midfieders, three wingers, two strikers, and possibly a right-back, and a goalkeeper. So fourteen, but if we can get a few players who can play in more than one position then maybe we can get that number down.

This is a good point really. We need 100% a LB, 2 CB's, 2 (if not 3) wide players, DMC and a 2 strikers. That's 9 players. And apparantly the papers are linking us for a keeper. So say 10 more players. That's roughly 1 a week until we start our season, and ideally we want the majority of them within our pre-season. 

I sure hope Suso & co were prepared for this summer. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Would be nice if someone, who actually is up to date, could make a thread with a current squad, outgoing and ingoings. Apparantly we have released a whole bunch and I can't even name them. 

There’s a well-known twitter page that tweet all confirmed Villa news, and rumours: @villareport 

Try them? ;)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it’s his strongest attribute, his reading of the game, positioning and ability on the ball, Terry? 😂 Not fit to lace his boots as a player or person

Ah right. You're on the wind-up, cool.

tenor.gif?itemid=14224018

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Not at all, I’ve always loved him

That may be so but you've just claimed he is/was better than one of the greatest defenders of all time. I love Jack Grealish but I don't think he's better than Zidane. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That may be so but you've just claimed he is/was better than one of the greatest defenders of all time. I love Jack Grealish but I don't think he's better than Zidane. 

... Yet 😂😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Terry? I don’t think he’s one of the best defenders of all time, far from it, he lacked pace and reading of the game for me. He was a typical English defender, blood and guts style defender, I think Zatman agrees with me on this

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Your mixing up players Doug. It’s John McGinn that’s better than Zidane. 

• Haha 3

Sure you can make a case for cahil - but thats a squad place and wages that could go on someone else.  Personally I think if we wanted an 'older head' we wouldn't have let Whelan go.

I have heard a whisper (an email from a derby fan I used to work with!!!!!!!) that we have enquired for Jack Marriott - new name in the frame - not sure if he is PL quality TBH. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Terry? I don’t think he’s one of the best defenders of all time, far from it, he lacked pace and reading of the game for me. He was a typical English defender, blood and guts style defender, I think Zatman agrees with me on this

Terry is pretty much renowned for his reading of the game.  We even saw that when he played for us.

He was a far, far, far better centre back than Gary Cahill has ever been.

• Like 3