Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

re Cahill.

Axel and Mings played so well together partly because they were both good on the ball and good defenders, but critically because they are both quite fast, mobile and agile, which allowed them both to push further up the pitch as both are capable of recovery.

If you had Cahill the back line would need to play much much deeper to accommodate the fact that Cahill doesn't have the speed and agility to recover now, which then impacts on how the entire team sets up.

I'm not anti older players or experience, but I do think whoever we sign still needs to have the physical attributes to play in the attacking style that Dean wants to, and having am old and slow CB regardless of experience I don't think would be good for us.

If they are 31 and still have the physical attributes then fine, but Cahill doesn't imo for how we probably want to play (ie full back pushing up, centre back pushing up and wider so the DM drops deeper).

I just think he wouldnt suit our system, and the system is more important than an individual like Cahill.

Just.my opinion.

These are more or less my feelings as well. I've a lot of respect for Cahill and what he's accomplished, but he just isn't a fit for what this team wants to do. It doesn't mean he can't fit in somewhere else.

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Would be sweet to get a few more in quick, don't want us to be taking part in silly season and rushing at the end for signings. 

Will be the happiest chap on the planet if Mings, lolley, Maupay, ghazi, Hause, Roofe are all announced thus week.

Doesn't Hause already come with a Roofe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In my opinion, we need an older and experienced head back there, someone who has been there and done it. He’s 33 (Cahill), not exactly ancient, he’s out of contract at Chelsea. We currently have one senior centre back in the whole squad (Chester), we need players in that position and quickly 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, we need an older and experienced head back there, someone who has been there and done it. He’s 33 (Cahill), not exactly ancient, he’s out of contract at Chelsea. We currently have one senior centre back in the whole squad (Chester), we need players in that position and quickly 

For the reasons outlined above by @MaVilla, he wouldn't fit the way we play. Maybe if this was Steve Bruce's Aston Villa, I'd be all over this signing. But we need mobile and agile CBs to play the way we do. Still think he'd do a good job for a team in our position, just not for us specifically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just seen that The transfer window in the Premier League closes on Thursday August 8 at 5pm. We need to average something like a new signing every three days until then.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

For the reasons outlined above by @MaVilla, he wouldn't fit the way we play. Maybe if this was Steve Bruce's Aston Villa, I'd be all over this signing. But we need mobile and agile CBs to play the way we do. Still think he'd do a good job for a team in our position, just not for us specifically.

Cahill is probably the best I’ve ever seen at playing out from the back, so I fail to see how he wouldn’t fit the way we play. He isn’t the quickest but he’s no slouch, I can understand others wanting younger centre backs but we don’t want a Clark-Baker situation again. Cahill is proven at the top level, he’s never let anyone down in his career

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Cahill would be a free transfer, for me, it’s a no brainer, he’s brilliant on the ball, it’s probably his best attribute. I don’t understand the negativity around this player from the majority on here

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Cahill is probably the best I’ve ever seen at playing out from the back, so I fail to see how he wouldn’t fit the way we play. He isn’t the quickest but he’s no slouch, I can understand others wanting younger centre backs but we don’t want a Clark-Baker situation again. Cahill is proven at the top level, he’s never let anyone down in his career

Bildresultat för not sure if serious meme

Terry to take a recent one here and a former teammate of Cahill.

Literally countless CB's with better passing, not saying Cahill is hopeless, but it ain't his forte.

And he has become quite slow.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Bildresultat för not sure if serious meme

Terry to take a recent one here and a former teammate of Cahill.

Literally countless CB's with better passing, not saying Cahill is hopeless, but it ain't his forte.

And he has become quite slow.

I think it’s his strongest attribute, his reading of the game, positioning and ability on the ball, Terry? 😂 Not fit to lace his boots as a player or person

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it’s his strongest attribute, his reading of the game, positioning and ability on the ball, Terry? 😂

Fair enough, we see different things I guess.

As a totally meaningless trivia his passing ability on the FIFA games over the last couple of seasons have been steady on low 50's (bang average) while his pace has dropped form 73 in FIFA 16 to 47 in FIFA 19

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Fair enough, we see different things I guess.

As a totally meaningless trivia his passing ability on the FIFA games over the last couple of seasons have been steady on low 50's (bang average) while his pace has dropped form 73 in FIFA 16 to 47 in FIFA 19

I think you are correct, we do see things differently

49 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

re Cahill.

Axel and Mings played so well together partly because they were both good on the ball and good defenders, but critically because they are both quite fast, mobile and agile, which allowed them both to push further up the pitch as both are capable of recovery.

If you had Cahill the back line would need to play much much deeper to accommodate the fact that Cahill doesn't have the speed and agility to recover now, which then impacts on how the entire team sets up.

I'm not anti older players or experience, but I do think whoever we sign still needs to have the physical attributes to play in the attacking style that Dean wants to, and having am old and slow CB regardless of experience I don't think would be good for us.

If they are 31 and still have the physical attributes then fine, but Cahill doesn't imo for how we probably want to play (ie full back pushing up, centre back pushing up and wider so the DM drops deeper).

I just think he wouldnt suit our system, and the system is more important than an individual like Cahill.

Just.my opinion.

Pretty much agree with most of your post but on flip side an offer of a 1 year deal ( not sure if he would go for that but deff wouldn't offer longer) we would have an experienced head in the dressing room who has represented England at highest level and players like Ming's axel or whatever young CBs we recruit could only benefit from having him around, end of season we decide to part ways then no problems

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

Pretty much agree with most of your post but on flip side an offer of a 1 year deal ( not sure if he would go for that but deff wouldn't offer longer) we would have an experienced head in the dressing room who has represented England at highest level and players like Ming's axel or whatever young CBs we recruit could only benefit from having him around, end of season we decide to part ways then no problems

I think you are correct, we have let a lot of experienced heads go this Summer, if we just replace them with a load of kids, we’re asking  for trouble 

Several pages on Gary Cahill means no new news then? 

Edit: At this moment in time I’d love to see Cahill if he’s fit. I hopefully will not feel the same way once the transfer window closes.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1