Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Can't agree there are no signs this was a bad windows. 

I would say there are signs - but hopefully these signs will go away as the players acclimatize.

I think you might be confusing bad transfers with players not being good enough for this level yet. If Mings doesn't perform immediately for £20m at age 26, that is a bad signing. If Konsa doesn't come good for 2 or 3 years, then that's not necessarily a bad transfer, given he's only 21 and we've paid £11m for him (pennies in today's market).

From what I can see, all the older signings - Heaton, Mings, Jota - have performed. Nakamba is 25, but he didn't have a proper pre-season, so impossible to judge at the moment. One of the younger signings (Engels) has settled immediately. All of the others are age 24 or below, and I don't see any signs that they lack the raw talent to compete at this level. It will just take some of them longer than others to find consistent form.

Does this mean we're probably locked in a relegation battle? Yes, but there'll be a good 10-12 teams flirting with relegation, and we were always going to be one of them.

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I think you might be confusing bad transfers with players not being good enough for this level yet. If Mings doesn't perform immediately for £20m at age 26, that is a bad signing. If Konsa doesn't come good for 2 or 3 years, then that's not necessarily a bad transfer, given he's only 21 and we've paid £11m for him (pennies in today's market).

From what I can see, all the older signings - Heaton, Mings, Wesley - have performed. Nakamba is 25, but he didn't have a proper pre-season, so impossible to judge at the moment. One of the younger signings (Engels) has settled immediately. All of the others are age 24 or below, and I don't see any signs that they lack the raw talent to compete at this level. It will just take some of them longer than others to find consistent form.

Does this mean we're probably locked in a relegation battle? Yes, but there'll be a good 10-12 teams flirting with relegation, and we were always going to be one of them.

Who said Wesley is old? In terms of Trez everyone thought he'd have a hard start (with no high hopes actually).

I think we're short in terms of wingers, as Trez, Jota and El Ghazi shouldn't be nailed starters. 

Basically our squad is really impressive in these positions:

GK, CB, CM, RB.

We're either short as a squad or as starters in:

LB,RW,LW,ST

January I think there's deffo a striker coming in.

Think defenders we are sorted apart from left back, especially if target is screwed for a while.

I think we may bring another midfielder in.

I would think that we would also bring another left and right winger in for more competition.

I see work still to be done, don't know about you guys but see no reason why the squad won't grown by maybe 5-6 more players.

What do you all think??

For me we lack the vital ingredients to be effective in attack at the moment. So yes we will need someone in Jan.

The things we clearly lack are pace, a top finisher & an aerial threat. We have none of those vital strengths and another issue is our best dead ball player Hourihane and regular scorer of good goals is not playing either. Result is we simply are not posing much of a goal threat.

We lack true pace on the counter, pose little threat from set pieces either aerially or with a dead ball strike now Hourihane is not playing and the few chances we do create are often fluffed by not having a natural goal scorer in the team.

Wesley (Still new i know but never actually been overly prolific even in lesser leagues)

Davis (Another Heskey regards goal tally)

Trez (usually misses good chances and did so at his last club too according to their fans)

Elghazi (does score on occasion but also goes missing very often & is nowhere near "prolific")

Kodija (Made of glass and is totally unproven at this level)

I'm sure they might all score a few but i can only see Wesley getting 8 - 10 (which is his current 1 in 4 ratio) Davis 4 or 5 , Trez 3 or 4 & Elghazi 6 or 7.  Yes there is Kodija but he is never fit and if he plays we would just be swapping his goals with the player he replaces so not much changes.

That's a total of say 21 to 26 goals which would have seen us relegated in each of the last 3 seasons where really 40 goals or just under was around the number needed for survival.  So we really do need midfield to chip in considerably to stay up in my eyes but are they really going to contribute between 14 to 19 goals?

So yes for me we do need to buy in Jan although who's to say that player will settle quickly?

It hopefully will come good but i'm not convinced by our attacking players at this time.

Keeper, defence and midfield i'm ok with however.

• Like 1

We're going to need better quality on the flanks and another striker in Jan. Trezeguet has not hit the ground running going forward and it's not clear he has a huge amount of quality in the final third. El Ghazi is a work in progress, great to have off the bench with 20 odd mins to go but not a starter at this level. Jota is very inconsistent, can be very good (Everton and a good cameo against Bournemouth) or pretty damn abject (Palace, his appearance against Spurs), a good signing for the money but will never IMO be a nailed on and consistent starter at this level.

Our flanks are a real weak link, no one is delivering into the box frequently enough and with enough quality, as a result Wesley is not getting much service at all in the box at all, it's just not good enough. I imagine Smith knew this since we tried to sign Benhrama, I'd imagine we'll be in for him again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We're going to need better quality on the flanks and another striker in Jan. Trezeguet has not hit the ground running going forward and it's not clear he has a huge amount of quality in the final third. El Ghazi is a work in progress, great to have off the bench with 20 odd mins to go but not a starter at this level. Jota is very inconsistent, can be very good (Everton and a good cameo against Bournemouth) or pretty damn abject (Palace, his appearance against Spurs), a good signing for the money but will never IMO be a nailed on and consistent starter at this level.

Our flanks are a real weak link, no one is delivering into the box frequently enough and with enough quality, as a result Wesley is not getting much service at all in the box at all, it's just not good enough. I imagine Smith knew this since we tried to sign Benhrama, I'd imagine we'll be in for him again.

This. 

I've been thinking a lot recently about why we have essentially became a long ball team this season certainly in every game other than Bournemouth. It's very unSmith like and has surprised me a little. 

I think teams have done their homework and realised our strength is in the middle of the park with McGinn and Grealish. Spurs just outplayed us but I think Everton and particularly Palace specifically set up to control the space in the centre which forced us to play often longer balls out to the wings where it invariably isnt sticking. Against Everton Wesley held the ball up very well from the long balls and was able to bring others in to play. Against Palace they stuck a man in front and behind him so that ball barely got played throughout the game meaning Jota and Trez were the only options. Unfortunatley they couldn't rise to the task and as such we couldn't play through the lines and were starved of any attacking play until the last second. 

Fair play to Roy on that one but Smith and Co need to think of some ways to build the play or Trez, El Ghazi, Jota need to step up more and more consistently. 

On 03/09/2019 at 04:23, danceoftheshamen said:

For me we lack the vital ingredients to be effective in attack at the moment. So yes we will need someone in Jan.

The things we clearly lack are pace, a top finisher & an aerial threat. We have none of those vital strengths and another issue is our best dead ball player Hourihane and regular scorer of good goals is not playing either. Result is we simply are not posing much of a goal threat.

We lack true pace on the counter, pose little threat from set pieces either aerially or with a dead ball strike now Hourihane is not playing and the few chances we do create are often fluffed by not having a natural goal scorer in the team.

Wesley (Still new i know but never actually been overly prolific even in lesser leagues)

Davis (Another Heskey regards goal tally)

Trez (usually misses good chances and did so at his last club too according to their fans)

Elghazi (does score on occasion but also goes missing very often & is nowhere near "prolific")

Kodija (Made of glass and is totally unproven at this level)

I'm sure they might all score a few but i can only see Wesley getting 8 - 10 (which is his current 1 in 4 ratio) Davis 4 or 5 , Trez 3 or 4 & Elghazi 6 or 7.  Yes there is Kodija but he is never fit and if he plays we would just be swapping his goals with the player he replaces so not much changes.

That's a total of say 21 to 26 goals which would have seen us relegated in each of the last 3 seasons where really 40 goals or just under was around the number needed for survival.  So we really do need midfield to chip in considerably to stay up in my eyes but are they really going to contribute between 14 to 19 goals?

So yes for me we do need to buy in Jan although who's to say that player will settle quickly?

It hopefully will come good but i'm not convinced by our attacking players at this time.

Keeper, defence and midfield i'm ok with however.

We are averaging a goal/game and easily could have scored more (and actually did but for the actions of an idiot ref). I do agree with a lot of your post and this season may be a struggle but it is too early to say in my view. Funnily enough, unlike a lot of posters, I actually think our midfield is a problem. We have good players but lack variety. We need a bigger more physical presence in there to compliment our ball players.

On 02/09/2019 at 13:13, thabucks said:

So we won’t be signing jean-Kevin Augustin in January as he has just joined Monaco ... 

This is a shame, I think he could have suited us. Allegedly It stalled because they thought Werner was maybe going to Bayern, but he signed a new long term contract and also taken Patrick Schick from Roma on a loan with permanent purchase, making him available,. RB Leipzig the only undefeated team and top of the Bundesliga, puts our result in context despite pre-season status.

53 minutes ago, thunderball said:

This is a shame, I think he could have suited us. Allegedly It stalled because they thought Werner was maybe going to Bayern, but he signed a new long term contract and also taken Patrick Schick from Roma on a loan with permanent purchase, making him available,. RB Leipzig the only undefeated team and top of the Bundesliga, puts our result in context despite pre-season status.

Would of loved us to of got Patrick Schick and hope we go in for him in January.

Shame about Augustin For sure . 

9 hours ago, thabucks said:

Would of loved us to of got Patrick Schick and hope we go in for him in January.

Shame about Augustin For sure . 

Schick will stay at Leipzig unfortunately, they have an option to buy at €29m which I think is basically compulsory.

6 hours ago, penguin said:

Wonder if we'll go back in for Sisto in Jan, we are clearly in need of reinforcements on the wings. I admittedly know nothing about him aside him he became unreal on Football Manager Mobile 17.

From what the rags are saying, he wasn't interested in joining us and turned us down as opposed to his club valuing him above what we were willing to pay.

I completely agree with the fact that we're light on the wings.  I think Benrahma was our top target and we held out hope that hope that Brentford would drop their asking price near the end of the window, but it never materialized.  Sisto was our backup, but he didn't fancy us at this time.