Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That link covers 4 years (and 1 month). 24 players, or 6 per year, 3 per window on average...

Summer 2011 = 4 signings

January 2012 = 4 signings

Summer 2012 = 6 Signings

January 2013 = 1 signing

15 Players in his first two seasons !

Summer 2013 = 2 signings

January 2014 = 1 signing

Summer 2014 = 6 Signings

January 2015 = 1 signing

What difference is there between what Allardyce did in 20111/2012 (signing 15 players) and what Villa have done this summer ? Apart from the obvious fact that Villa had to replace ageing players and increase the quality to allow for the fact that we have been promoted to a tougher division.

And of those players how many worked out ? 

Relevant only because he claims he'd spend £100M on just 3 players because he wouldn't want to affect the balance of the squad, which is a total lie (even given inflation of transfer fees over the years I can't see Vaz Te, Ravel Morrison and Nicky Maynard being worth £100M in 2019.

Anyway he's a dinosaur who clearly had no understanding of our position following the play-off final.

Allardyce.PNG

Edited by dukes
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

So basically the argument is keeping most of Bruces Villa squad together and almost certainly being relegated. Or using our owners immense financial wealth to alliw our manager to build his own team and give us the best chance of competing...

Sorry, which one was the risk again?

I don't think that was exactly how @Genie presented it, no.

I think Genie was thinking more along the lines of us having a better chance of survival if we had a team something like below, by spending £120m on 6 quality first team players and not having the risk of an overhaul causing as much disruption.

ST

LW                                            RW

McGinn      Grealish

DM

Taylor         CB       CB            Guilbert

Steer

Imagine if those 6 new players above were all of a high level of quality, possibly with proven Prem experience. Would that give us a better chance of survival? Who knows. We'd have a much weaker bench and squad overall, but then perhaps giving an extra year to the likes of Whelan, Adomah, Hutton (etc) would have kept together a better team spirit than the one we're now having to rebuild (albeit, having a huge drop in quality if the first team had any injuries).

Who knows?

I don't think the amount of ridicule that @Genie has received is fair though. People are just taking half of what he's said and jumping on it, instead of actually considering whether spreading our money across fewer players could have been a viable alternative.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Not really, we all thought Collymore was talking sense when he was barracking Lescott?Richards and co. If you like someone's opinion and it matches your own, 'you'll' (as in the royal 'you'll) believe it more. If you think someone is a cockwomble but still accept what they are saying,  you'll listen with confirmation bias and others, you'll dismiss because they don't share your view. It's part of life. It's not really an issue is it?

Anyway, peace be with you, and back on the Happy Bus

Makes no sense to me. If I agree with somebody its because they think as I do on a particular point. It doesn't mean I am dogmatically all in. So it is possible to agree with Allardyce on an issue and still think he's a fool. As it happens I rarely agree with him.

You assume I will believe anything that is positive regarding Villa, which is a bit patronising and untrue. Good luck on the funbus though.

7 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Until we open the box we are in a superposition of being relegated and champions.

I think we have bought some cool cats though .

Schrodinger can **** off and all.

The only true superposition is reverse cowgirl.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Makes no sense to me. If I agree with somebody its because they think as I do on a particular point. It doesn't mean I am dogmatically all in. So it is possible to agree with Allardyce on an issue and still think he's a fool. As it happens I rarely agree with him.

You assume I will believe anything that is positive regarding Villa, which is a bit patronising and untrue. Good luck on the funbus though.

Not trying to patronise anyone, so <shrug> sorry if that's how you've taken it.

Absolutely, you can think of Allardyce as a fool (as do I mostly) but occasionally, he'll say something that 'we' do actually agree with. Same with Collymore and Mills... The likelihood is, that all of the sources that Genie quoted (and was shot down by one poster) are more credible than you or I to have an educated opinion from the industry perspective having been involved in the industry of football over time in a variety of roles. They might be proved right, they hopefully, will be proven wrong. But nobody can just turn round and say that those three sources don't add any weight to the debate. 

What I was trying to say was, had Allardyce, Collymore and Mills all been on the Fun Bus with us and said the Club were doing an amazing job, even with a slight amount of caution relating to the risk, (you, as in the 'royal you') regardless of whether the masses believed them to be fools/cockwombles etc, would be given a lot more credence on here because it matches the general feeling of us as fans. If that doesn't apply to you then fair enough. Imagine if the young lady doing the Q&A on Youtube asking the question about whether Villa were 'doing a Fulham' had upheld the notion that indeed that was what we were doing... She'd be pulled apart on here and no mistake. Come on, patronising or not, you know that's how it would play out on here.

Anyway, we seem to agree that Villa have done the right thing this summer, and that Allardyce is a fool. Have a great day 👍

17 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Okay, I work in the rail industry... and that looks a lot like Watford Junction railway station (southern end) and that is a London Overground train in the background...

Where is he off to?

Dean Smith standing behind him??

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

In order of preference if we're signing a winger...

Said Benrahma > Jarrod Bowen > Harry Wilson.

For the prices being quoted for Benrahma and Wilson i think we would be better off going for Hakim Ziyech from Ajax,

Was brilliant in the Champions league last year and his release clause is reported to be £25 Million.

Would be a huge statement signing

Edited by Mooley22

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Is it greedy to want & expect Benrahma , berardi & Phillips before Thursday ... chuck in  hogan & Lansbury/Bree or Chester to sweeten the deal for Leeds... 

It's been an amazing summer hasn't it? Quite spectacular... The kind of greed and gluttony it feels like as we ponder who is coming next is how I imagine Boxing Day to be with chocolate smeared all around my mouth and an incriminating half empty tub of Cadbury Heroes in my hand with the lid off and up to my ankles in shiny, crinkly wrappers.

Striker my priority... preferably an Option A name/fee... just because.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I am still staggered at how closed your mind is. That there is more than 1 way to do something. That someone has a different view. We haven't even kicked a ball in the premier league yet but you're completely closed to the fact that we've pulled off a series of master strokes. Open your mind to other possibilities. 

You're selling your opinions as facts.

You're labeling differing opinions as stupidity.

Sadly your opinion doesn't make sense. Of the players that we released only 2 were even close to good enough for championship football adomah and whelan. Of those 2 we have found 2 suitable replacements for each of them. On top of that both of them were liabilities in games against the top teams in the championship whelan because he was too slow and adomah because he was crap. 

Maybe we could have stuck to 1 player at each position and not brought in konsa, trezeguet and nakamba. But then if we got an injury we would be playing elmo right wing and hourihane at defensive midfield which he is no more than a 3rd stringer for (he is good enough as a backup in attacking roles) 

• Like 3