Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

10 minutes ago, Enda said:

It’s not stupid to say we should hold back 10 million in reserve in case Wesley completely flops or Targett breaks his leg. It’s a legitimate argument, even if you and I may strongly disagree with it.

Yer even proving my point.

But we are actively targeting another striker, as Smith has apparently said. We won't be held to ransom by Brentford, that's the hold up regards one striker.

I don't think the intention or plan is to go into the season solely reliant on Wes coming good. Even if he does, a backup or partner would be an ideal option.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I agree effectively signing a whole new team after promotion is a risk. The optimal situation would be to finish top of the league, keep the core of that squad together and add a handful of genuine quality to the mix. A bit like Newcastle's path a few seasons back. 

We did not have that option unfortunately and I believe the current strategy is the best possible approach we could have taken, given the hand we were dealt. 

If you look at the list posted earlier:

FB_IMG_1564692195459.jpg

Signing fewer (but I assume more expensive) players on the right column would require keeping more players from the left column.  Of those players on the left I think we have kept everyone we would have liked to with the exception of for Abraham and Tuanzebe (who we can assume were not available to sign).

I think relying on more players from the list on the left (presumably Adomah, Whelan and De Laet? I can't see who else we'd be considering?) would have left us exposed at times during the season.

Whilst we have spread our transfer spend more widely than would be ideal under the perfect promotion scenario I think it has been necessary. In addition many of the players who have come in have previous links to either the manager or other players in the squad giving them the best hope of integration.   

I agree.

I don't have any issue with any of the players that we let go of, the obvious exception being Tammy and Axel but assuming they weren't available.

If the rest of the players on the left list were good enough to make the step up then why havent any other premier league teams taken them on frees? Id be hugely surprised if any of them are playing premier league football next year.

Whilst i'm slightly concerned some of the players we've signed won't be at the required level, I also dont think that signing 5-6 £25m players instead would have been that easy. Wether we like it or not, we are still a promoted club and will be one of the favourites to go down and that may not be that attractive to a lot of players in that bracket. Wages may be an issue too. 

One of the positives about the number of signings we've made is that at least we have genuine competition for places in nearly very position on the pitch now which can't be a bad thing. We also have some decent squad depth too now and actually own the players too

Edited by Biskitt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Steer and Whelan but Whelan is 87 years old or thereabouts

They were fine, but I don't think they were more than that. Although Steer had a good run and won us the match against WBA.

2 hours ago, Enda said:

It’s not stupid to say we should hold back 10 million in reserve in case Wesley completely flops or Targett breaks his leg. It’s a legitimate argument, even if you and I may strongly disagree with it.

I strongly suspect we will have 10 million available (at least) in January, no matter what we spend now.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Another favorite is "waiting until January'. See how you get on. Then, after 5 months of suffering, and another month because nothing happens until all the posturing is finished at the of January, you pay way over the odds for the players the elite have left you with.

All because you tried to get Wesley and  Jota to gel with Hutton and Whelan due to sone curious notion that you can only buy x players at a time.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Saying beef up with signings in January was probably the stupidest comment but I chose not to respond to that out of restraint

I must have must understood what the point of a mid season transfer window was for. Keep up the bullying and hounding though.

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The "you need premier league experience if promoted to premier league" is a load of wank and has been debunked in articles using recent clubs as examples

Our miserable relegation season had Joe Cole, Richardson, Lescott, Richards all Premier League winners. 

Surely that was enough experience 😂

9 hours ago, New_Hope said:

Struggling to see what's not to like!

FB_IMG_1564692195459.jpg

Brilliant summary. The decision to sign so many players was not really a decision but a necessity. I can't see how slowly embedding players would have worked. Which of the players we've let go would have cut it in the prem? Tammy and Tuanzebe? Neither wanted / were able to stay. Whole transfer window may not work. Keeping the majority of last year's squad definitely wouldn't have. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Our miserable relegation season had Joe Cole, Richardson, Lescott, Richards all Premier League winners. 

Surely that was enough experience 😂

Jesus. I totally forgot about Joke Cole. The horror

1 hour ago, Ponky said:

Remember this time last year, when Brucie had banished all our defenders and not replaced them? 

Those were the days. 

He was building a play off winning squad ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Enda said:

Who says we haven't? Why not sign that player now? 

Sorry if that seems harsh, I feel like they're valid questions. 

We're making a few waves it seems....

https://www.ilposticipo.it/calcio/altro-che-manchester-city-la-squadra-che-spende-di-piu-in-premier-league-e-una-neopromossa/?intcmp=gazzanet-aston-villa&refresh_ce-cp

"Forget Man City, the biggest spending team in the Premier League is newly promoted..."

Goes on to say we've been reborn since going down and coming back up showing a lot of ambition could the next step for a reinvigorated Aston Villa be a european spot?

I won't transate it all, but it's something I missed a couple of weeks back, thought it was interesting!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t really see why people are struggling with @Genie‘s opinion. 

I don’t agree with it personally. But he does make a good point that bringing in so many new players is risky. There are countless examples of that not working (and also plenty of examples of it absolutely working)

my personal opinion is that’s less risky than keeping more of the players we released, but I can certainly see where he’s coming from. 

But your final point is why people are struggling. 

It's quite clearly less of a risk than giving contracts to hutton, whelan and jedinak and hoping they can perform at this level. 

When there is no real alternative approach it seems strange to criticise the one that makes the most sense and carries the least amount of risk.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I must have must understood what the point of a mid season transfer window was for. Keep up the bullying and hounding though.

Bullying? Give over. It's just that multiple people found some of your comments somewhat baffling and gave you reasons as to why. If you post something that goes against the grain then people are going to respond. The fact that many people have responded just suggests how against the grain your view is. It doesn't mean bullying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Went to sleep. And when I wake up this thread had gained 14 pages. Got excited about some new transfers and you are still discussing the same shit. Sweet Jesus. 

angry fuck my life GIF

Considering we’ve signed on average about 1.9 players per week this window, one should chill out and get on the happy bus IMHO 

• Like 1