Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I think what we are seeing here is more than just a team rebuild. What it is is a fundamental change in our business model to build a stable of young saleable assets which we can play on a rotational basis but maintain or add to their value. 

More man city/ Chelsea than, well, the old villa.

Previously we short sightedly signed players to build a good 11 for the now. Inevitably they were at the shitty end  of their career resulting in their  value plummeting off a cliff or contracts  running their course without renewal.

Whereas this new approach incorporates a more investment savvy, forward thinking, bigger picture, higher ambition  style.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think what we are seeing here is more than just a team rebuild. What it is is a fundamental change in our business model to build a stable of young saleable assets which we can play on a rotational basis but maintain or add to their value. 

More man city/ Chelsea than, well, the old villa.

Previously we short sightedly signed players to build a good 11 for the now. Inevitably they were at the shitty end  of their career resulting in their  value plummeting off a cliff or contracts  running their course without renewal.

Whereas this new approach incorporates a more investment savvy, forward thinking, bigger picture, higher ambition  style.

It makes complete sense, its essentially Brentford model 2.0.

Its also why Dean Smith and others in the same mould are the future of football managers and the likes of Steve Bruce/Sam Allardyce are on the scrap heap. All the more baffling why Steve Bruce has just gotten himself the Newcastle job, can barely think of a worse appointment for them.

• Like 1

Bloody Hell we havent just rebuilt the Team but Built a Squad worthy of this level.

I think they are not relying on a player working.  Happens all the time a new player comes in and things just don't work, we now have an alternatives within the squad.

Even Big Ron would be impressed with this spending spree.

• Like 1

Holy moly!  I need to pinch myself - what an unbelievable transfer window so far.  I don't think I have ever witnessed anything like this before (at least not with Villa).  Every single signing seems to exactly match a defined strategy.  Obviously there is never any guarantee (I was quite excited about the French revolution a few seasons back) but it really does look like this could be a very exciting time for the Villa.  Every single signing makes sense according to the statements from the club about what they are trying to do.  If this lot gel it could be absolutely immense!

• Like 1

I genuinely don’t care if we get any more players in now, having Nakamba and especially Luiz on board is what gives me confidence we won’t be in a do or die relegation struggle.

I don’t think we will finish top half but we wont struggle. 

So, is this our biggest ever transfer window in terms of spending? I am guessing it has to be, right?

Who else do we want? That's the next question. For me, I would be ecstatic if we got Butland and Nakamba. For me, that would leave us with more than a good enough squad to at least finish around the mid table places.

Thank **** we didn't go up last season. 

We've got rid of most of the deadwood and brought in a young, motivated team. If we can secure safety (I'd be amazed if we didn't) this season then we're set up for the next decade at least. 

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I genuinely don’t care if we get any more players in now, having Nakamba and especially Luiz on board is what gives me confidence we won’t be in a do or die relegation struggle.

I don’t think we will finish top half but we wont struggle. 

We definately need a winger/striker IMO. If Wesley picks up an injury we are very thin in terms of backup. Assuming El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Jota stay fit it's alright, but definately need another striker.  

Keeper is a bit meh to me. I wouldn't hate signing a keeper, but we got three alright ones, so not exactly the most pressing issue. 

2 minutes ago, allani said:

(I was quite excited about the French revolution a few seasons back) 

This....this.... is the only thing that 1% scares me. Although the circumstances are different with owners and coaching staff.... my inner dark thoughts of “villa are going all about this all wrong, they are untried at this level and we have seen this before, veretout was so promising....Too many” pops up now and again..... but I’ll lock it in the inner parts of my dark mind along with wanting to nail Andy Murray’s mom... and throw away the key. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmyg said:

This....this.... is the only thing that 1% scares me. Although the circumstances are different with owners and coaching staff.... my inner dark thoughts of “villa are going all about this all wrong, they are untried at this level and we have seen this before, veretout was so promising....Too many” pops up now and again..... but I’ll lock it in the inner parts of my dark mind along with wanting to nail Andy Murray’s mom... and throw away the key. 

Thing is for the most part those players have done okay, I think we just didn’t have a cohesive management/senior level team who shared a joint vision, manager didn’t want them, it was all just disjointed and it reflected in the results sadly. 

• Like 2

Wonder if we could see a Diamond at times this year, probably too risky nowadays to play so narrow with the potency of the opposition fullbacks and wide forwards.

But

Nakamba

McGinn.    Douglas

Grealish

Looks quite tasty and I would kind of back SJM and Luiz to run ragged to cover the wide areas.

Certainly not as our main formation but possibly a strong option with Maupay and Wes up top