Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because to me he symbolises everything about a signing that nearly destroyed our club. To a lesser extent Austin and Long do to although I think they have better attitudes than Sturridge. 

If we signed him I would lose all faith that things have now changed. It amazes me that any fan would be happy to see him at Villa.

Who do you suggest as a back up striker then?

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who do you suggest as a back up striker then?

I suggest the DOF and Scouts that get paid big money to scour the world to find players can find a sufficient backup striker so we don’t have to sign the likes of Daniel Sturridge!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yet we did mate.  I get wanting experience but those names you mention are the type QPR signed the year the went down. It’s a last big pay packet. We need to get away from that. 

Agreed but at the same time, we can’t have a team of young experienced players who have never played in The Premier League before

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Agreed but at the same time, we can’t have a team of young experienced players who have never played in The Premier League before

Again why not? How many Premier league appearances did Wolves players have? Bournemouth players have? Brighton players have? Even Huddersfield players have the year they came up? 

Our backup full backs are the most experience players in our squad. 

It means nothing. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

I agree with both of you. We can’t be signing big pay packet “on there way out” players. Terry was an exception as the man is quality and an absolute model pro. Okazaki arguably fits that mold but not enough quality to justify his last big pay packet at Villa.

Equally, we can’t rely on our youth. The idea that our youth set up produces quality is a bit of a myth for me. We get a few diamonds like Grealish but most are league 1 standard. 

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Your perception of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy benefits massively from hindsight. I'd say perceptions of Leicester at the time were close to perceptions of Villa now.

Which is why I’ve put sneaky bets on villa to win league, top 6, top half and top without the big 6. 

Doesnt mean I expect it to happen.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hogan probably even offers better value for money than them 3

Whilst Hogan hasn’t worked out here, he works hard, which I admire him for. Which is the same reason people argue for Shane Long long. We already have a striker who ‘puts a shift in’ who can’t score. We don’t need another.

9 minutes ago, pete101 said:

At times I read here and think I've landed on a Newcastle fourm with the level of delusion

Lol, I don't think we're deluded at all. Look at the predictions for our finish next season - averaged around 15th I think.

The delusion is to think anyone can say for certain how we'll do next season. It's perfectly possible that we finish top 10. It's also possible we get relegated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Maupay again left out of Brentford's squad, wonder if we are genuinely interested in signing him?

Hope so. I can't see the Leao links being genuine so fingers crossed this is our next signing after Douglas and Trezeguet.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which is why I’ve put sneaky bets on villa to win league, top 6, top half and top without the big 6. 

Doesnt mean I expect it to happen.

And I certainly don't expect us to do a Leicester, either. Just pointing out a fact, which is that nobody seriously rated Mahrez, Vardy and Kante as among the Premier League's best players until around halfway through that season. Even the first half of that season was seen as an unsustainable run of good form.

The people who knowingly forecast doom are just as deluded as the people who claim Mings, McGinn etc. are all Champions League quality.

There are so many unknowables with a young squad. My sense is that at least one or two of our players will turn out to be much, much better than we were expecting, while some of the safer bets (Mings, McGinn, Grealish) will disappoint. That's just the nature of sport, especially when you have a squad with this age profile.

• Like 3