Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

5 minutes ago, useless said:

When Purslow says two or three more signings, I don't think he means it in the literal sense, he use 'two or three' in the same way someone might use the term a few more. He just had to come up with a number on the spot.

I think you maybe correct. He's not going to come out and say, "Well we definitely need 5 more". II think they will continue to go about things as we have and as players come in one or two more will go. I think we will see a min of 4 more come in.

IMO we aren't going to sacrifice Jota continually out wide if he cant ping that ball over with his right foot. Which in the clips I've seen and from watching him isn't the best. He's not going to be able to continually cut inside with the ball in the prem either. Deano will want that right footed option and balance. The DM is a no brainer with a possible back up coming in as I don't see Lansbury or Bjarnasson as good enough or reliable enough as back up. I think we'll want 4 striking options too, so see one more coming in that can possibly play the RM or AM role as well. Hogan will then be gone imo. The keeper is the interesting one for me as I still think it's a necessity. Who knows though maybe they're all performing well but I just don't see us going into the season without a new number one.

Interestingly has anyone seen Kalinic as I can't remember seeing him out in the US? 

10 minutes ago, Wes said:

Clever tactic by Purslow. Release a little quote saying 2/3 signings, gets around the news a bit.

We then sign Douglas Luiz, Nakamba and Trezeguet and everyone thinks the well is dry. No more money.

But that's what they want you to believe - and we end up getting a really good Goalkeeper on a really good deal near deadline day.

It's pretty well known that our owners have about £9billion in the bank though so I'd be surprised if Stoke or Burnley fell for something like that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

By that logic we're playing four centre backs.

As much as I hope that Jota has been signed as a backup for Grealish and the wing positions, we should perhaps brace ourselves (as it’s the transfer window) for him being our right wing option. Both Smith and O’Kelly have said they think he’s Premier League quality, and having a talented player on the right that can link passes with attack, albeit not having a right foot to cross balls in, may be part of Smith’s plan.

31 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Wouldn’t that be a waste of money? I expect him to slot straight in to the first team

Cue the oracle wars! Keep it calm guys, we don't want you losing sight of all the impending deals ;)

I think if the squad we have to start the season isn't up to snuff, Sawiris will splash major cash in January to avoid a relegation battle. Chill, Winstons.

Edited by maqroll

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As much as I hope that Jota has been signed as a backup for Grealish and the wing positions, we should perhaps brace ourselves (as it’s the transfer window) for him being our right wing option. Both Smith and O’Kelly have said they think he’s Premier League quality, and having a talented player on the right that can link passes with attack, albeit not having a right foot to cross balls in, may be part of Smith’s plan.

What's all this stuff about jota can't cross with his right foot?

If you watch some of his vids he clearly can.

I think some people are getting hung up on him being left footed, if he were right footed and preferred his right foot literally nobody would be saying a peep.

He seems to prefer his left foot but i have seen him numerous time run on the right side using his left foot.

Not comparing him directly, but maradona was literally the king of being almost entirely single footed, and he did just fine I think...

If he is good enough preferring a foot will be literally zero issue, if he isn't then it might be an issue, we will have to wait and see.

Also him cutting inside isn't a major issue as he could have Guilbert as an overlapping fullback, or he could just cut inside and whip it in or whatever.

Anyway, I think we will have another winger before the window closes, currently we have El Ghazi and Jota with green as backup, imo that won't be the case once the window closes, green just isn't good enough, I think our wingers will be so Ghazi, jota, green and someone we haven't signed yet challenging for the two roles.

But anyway again, I think people need to chill over jotas left foot.

Edited by MaVilla

I'm no connoisseur of Spanish football so can anybody enlighten me why someone would be buzzing if we signed Carlos Soler? His record is 6 goals in 87 games as a midfielder for Valencia. I bet Jedinak beat that for the Villa?

Edit: Jedinak didn't so I take that back! 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'm no connoisseur of Spanish football so can anybody enlighten me why someone would be buzzing if we signed Carlos Soler? His record is 6 goals in 87 games as a midfielder for Valencia. I bet Jedinak beat that for the Villa?

Was prob highly rated on football manager.

The end.

:)

7 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I guess it's the fact he is Spanish and plays for Valencia. 

That's most than enough to get most fans a bit overly excited.