Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

If Burnley are asking for 10 mil, wouldn’t Etheridge be a better choice at a similar price? That’s if we were ever really interested in him...

It would be great to get a quality keeper who could be a mainstay for a fair few years. I really don’t know if Steer is up to it but competition brings the best out of players...

48 minutes ago, bobzy said:

27 conceded in 19 is pretty decent really (if that’s the barometer being used here). 54 goals conceded in a full season? That’s solid upper half stuff. 

Indeed. If you're just about fantasy football points and clean sheets then 4 in 19 isn't great but in reality it's about more than that. 27 in 19 is fine for a side we're hoping to be above this season. 

Just now, Wezbid said:

Indeed. If you're just about fantasy football points and clean sheets then 4 in 19 isn't great but in reality it's about more than that. 27 in 19 is fine for a side we're hoping to be above this season. 

Steer 9 goals from 13 starting league games return spell and 5 CS. It's the Championship but a lot of the teams are on par with lower half PL sides

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I hope to god we don't loan Axel back. (Unless there is a purchase fee at the end).

It boggles my mind that we only got promoted a month ago and already a lot of us are slipping back in to the mannerisms and thought processes that contributed to our downfall in the first place.

Personally I think we may have to consider the loan if we cannot get in who we really want straight away. I certainly wouldn't be against it if it means we spend more elsewhere, like attacking wise.  

57 minutes ago, thabucks said:

How about getting Dan Crowley back ... just red about what she up to on that clickbait aggregator newsnow... Hopefully he has for his attitude in check as he was at OUFC when I was there and the players and staff pretty much hated him due to fact he was as he as an arrogant prick who didn’t/wouldn’t put the effort in and thought he was above everyone however, he seems to be turning his career around in Holland and hopefully realises he should never of left and will find his was home .... 

He left us as a kid for Arsenal where he failed and has ended up at Willem II to try and turn it round. You seem to know of him and think he has an attitude problem. Not one for us.

Too much of a risk. He was very talented as a 14 year old or whatever age is was when he was here. But that was a long time ago. Let him go to Championship and we can pick him up in the future if he gets himself back on track properly.

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

What's the deal with Trezeguet? I thought people were putting 2+2 together with our egypt links but it seems like it might actually happen?

According to James Nursey, we've "slapped in" a bid for him (here).

• Haha 1

Looking at what we still need:

GOALKEEPER:

So far it's been all Jack Butland but we cannot help but draw the conclusion that we will be spending our money more wisely elsewhere than the rumoured £20-£25m, So then there's Tom Heaton, rumoured to be on his way to us now for around £7m allowing us to save £13m-£18m that could be used elsewjere.

CENTRE BACK:

So we currently have 3 and I think a fourth will be arriving. Webster of Bristol who appears to also being over priced at around £16m-£22m. Another contender is Gary Cahill, available on a free but would command around £100k in wages? A 1 year deal would suit all parties.     Harold Makoudi, (ignore) Now at St. Etienne.        The last contender is Axel Tuanzebe of Man Utd. Currently on a pre-season tour and just signed a new contract, however nothing is set in stone yet and further developments could be on the horizon. A loan with a right to buy at the end, otherwise a fee of around £20m-£30m would be the figure if we were to try and buy him.

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER:

Kalvin Phillips of Leeds Utd has been on our radar most of this window however the price tag is the major sticking point at around £30m. An alternative gem could be sought for much better value.

CENTRAL MIDFEILD:

Marvelous Nakamba has been mentioned and would seem good value at around £11m-£18m for the Zimbabwean who is currently at Club Brugge. Joe Lolley at Nottingham Forest could also be available for a decent fee.

ATTACKING MIDFIELDER (R):

Saíd Benrahma was the first rumoured target from Brentford. £18m-£22m seems to be a stalling point so far. Of the alternatives Kasimpa and Eygyptian attacking winger Mahoud Trezeguet could be available for around £11m and could seem a sensible alternative and also saving us around £7m-£11m against Benrahma for us to use elsewhere.

STRIKER;

Neil Maupay, another of Brentford appears to be holding out for a move to Villa. First quoted at around £20m but again could be attainable if the fee was right. 

I've prob forgot a few.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Or Heaton plus Tuanzebe for about 10-14m. If Axel comes back it's as a loan. I think this is now more likely even though I suggested weeks ago I didn't think it would happen. A loan fee for Axel and Heaton would be great business and allow us to push the boat out for another AM/RW and the DM positions 

Heaton + Tuanzebe for £0!

Sell Kallanic £9m and Loan Tuanzebe with a right to buy.  

59 minutes ago, bobzy said:

27 conceded in 19 is pretty decent really (if that’s the barometer being used here). 54 goals conceded in a full season? That’s solid upper half stuff. 

Yep and also clean sheets are a crap statistic for judging goalkeepers. Teams keep clean sheets, goalkeepers make saves. Petr Cech holds the Premier League clean sheet record because he played behind an incredible defence in a tactically defensive team.

This statistical analysis of keepers in the 2017/18 season suggests Fabianski was the third best shot stopper in the league that season, but his team (Swansea) got relegated. He finished 10th with West Ham last season.

Good keepers can play for bad teams, and vice versa. It's the job of our scouting team to separate the keeper performance from the team performance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Heaton + Tuanzebe for £0!

Sell Kallanic £9m and Loan Tuanzebe with a right to buy.  

Your not going to get 9m for Kalinic. 5m max I reckon. Axel isn't going to be free either as a loan. 

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Steer 9 goals from 13 starting league games return spell and 5 CS. It's the Championship but a lot of the teams are on par with lower half PL sides

It's debateble how many teams are on par with Southampton, Palace, Bournemouth, Newcastle. They have some really good players. 

Heaton had to face Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool (2 Champions League finalists let's not forget), Man City, Arsenal and the likes of Watford, Everton, Bournemouth and Leicester who are good for a goal. 

I'm not saying Heaton's brilliant but he's more than good enough for the next season or 2 and 27 conceded in 19 against some of the World's best attackers is good going. 

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Harold Makoudi, the French defender almost signed for us only to change his mind at the 12th hour and chose to remain at Le Havre. However, reports in France are said that the player has been dropped from the team after failing to sign a new contract. He is out of contract in a few weeks and could be available on a free transfer.

He signed for St Etienne last March so we can rule that one out.

Heaton's a bloody good 'keeper. Wouldn't be turning my nose up at him in a million years. If it wasn't for the lengthy injury, I'd probably want him over Butland anyway, especially for the fee touted. Plenty of miles left in a goalie at his age, too.