Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I dont mind this filling out the squad with the best players from the championship.

Villa need to build a squad but they cant afford to build a squad like Man Citys, Liverpool etc in one window as some seem to expect.

Building Villa up will take a few seasons and the squad development will be gradual.  Buying players for a reasonable cost now is good.  We are putting the news out there we do not have much to spend so are not being ripped off.  IF we went and bought a marquee player from the word go, other clubs will expect some of that money.

Fill out the squad with better players than we had and keeping our gunpowder dry for the big name we will hopefully get for the first team.

Im just hoping it isnt like ONeils first full summer transfer window and we eneded up with Marlon bloody Harewood as a last minute signing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AXD said:

I was thinking the same thing 🙂

wouldn’t mind him back. He still has sympathy for our club and has gained experience (EL final), plus we need a left back

Missed this, how do we know he still has sympathy for the club (Though that sounds like we died).

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

It is only lazy journalism, linking us to Smith's former players. Of course we can discuss these players, but we should not get downcast or excited until we see them signed.

Our new setup does not give anything away. I think any legitimate links, apart from those to last season's loan players, will only become public just before they sign.

You are not wrong there, show me one journo's link that actually knows that Benrahma is recovering in France after ankle surgery and might not even be fit for the start of the season, not one of them has mentioned it, why not, because they have never bothered to investigate and find out anything about him, and just regurgitate ill informed posts, therefore it is all speculation and click bait material of no value, substance or worth!! 

The only thing you can believe with players being bought and sold is when the the official club website release the TRUE story, everything else you hear is just tittle tattle and best ignored. 

• Like 4

I've said this before and been laughed at, but I think the Championship overall is of a higher standard than ligue 1, below the cream that is. The squads have more depth. So I have no problem buying the absolute best from either, but I think we need to diversify where we are buying players from in order to achieve that

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Missed this, how do we know he still has sympathy for the club (Though that sounds like we died).

I should have said ‘I think he still has sympathy’, apologies. I think that because I have seen posts on IG where he still likes Villa stuff or him responding to players (Jack or Kodjia, can’t recall). So this is not a fact 😀

23 minutes ago, jonjon said:

You are not wrong there, show me one journo's link that actually knows that Benrahma is recovering in France after ankle surgery and might not even be fit for the start of the season, not one of them has mentioned it, why not, because they have never bothered to investigate and find out anything about him, and just regurgitate ill informed posts, therefore it is all speculation and click bait material of no value, substance or worth!! 

The only thing you can believe with players being bought and sold is when the the official club website release the TRUE story, everything else you hear is just tittle tattle and best ignored. 

and the last time villa were linked with a 'beni' - it was all all done and dusted really quickly...

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Is that more sceptical than a mere 'very sceptical'?

Sceptical indeed!

If we all put our scepticals on, we might see who it is before it's posted on twitter. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

The've passed the first test, yesterday they said that El Ghazi has signed, and today they've proven to be correct about that.

Nope, they didn't say anything about El Ghazi. Still haven't. Dutch website broke it yesterday.

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He won a Champions League with those players, so they were clearly already at the right level to play for Chelsea. Barcelona picked up Deco from the same squad.

My point is that Brentford are a mid-table Championship side, and some fans seem to be getting excited about what DS can extract from their players in the Premier League, purely because of their deep understanding of Deanball. It's nonsense.

I'm all for DS signing squad players who he knows have good characters, if the price is right. But Brentford are no mugs in the transfer market, and for that reason, I'm not convinced they offer us loads of value.

Anyway, I wasn't for a moment saying that Purslow and Suso are naive enough to go down this route. Just that it's a recurring theme in this discussion that we will somehow get amazing performances out of all DS's old Brentford favourites.

I think the lesson is if the Manager feels a player is the right fit it doesn't matter if he goes back to a previous club. 

I am sure DS is smart enough to know who might work in his system and in the PL, and if he has working knowledge of that player and think s he is talented enough its likely to be a safer investment. I am sure there is suitable talent is available here, in the Championship or abroad. As you mention, the price is the most important part and I am sure (I hope!) Purslow will prove to be almost as shrewd an operator for us as Daniel Levy is for Spurs.

• Like 2