Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don't think anyone would have objected to simply paying Gardner off, think of it from that angle and we are basically getting Jota on a free. 

Smart business. 

Yep this is a good way of looking at it. 

Gardner would have either gone back on loan - probably with us paying a percentage of his wages and then left for nothing or stayed here, not been given a squad number and still picked up around £40 grand a week (assuming his wages have gone up with promotion) and then left for nothing.

Essentially bringing in a player Dean knows well and can get a tune out of, for someone who has no future here. Decent bit of business.

• Like 2

Just seen this and not really impressed at all. Even if it annoys the scum, I thought we'd be showing a lot more ambition to be honest. I wasn't even 100% convinced by the Lolley rumours, but I could understand the rationale given his excellent season for Forest last season and his Villa connections. I just don't see the rationale of the Jota deal at all, unless it was Diogo Jota who plays for Wolves. 

Personally I hope the deal doesn't go through and it's just paper talk. 

I think it's a smart signing.

Provides strength in depth and will also be happy to play in the championship should we go straight back down and is one of the better technical players down there to boot.

Whether he can cut it in the prem is another thing entirely but he won't be a starter.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

He really isn't.

Last 3 seasons:

Adomah - 113 games, 21 goals, 17 assists. 

Jota - 97 games, 21 goals, 21 assists. 

Twice the player is somewhat ott but he's more efficient in terms of scoring and creating goals and I'd suspect that if Jota played for us for the last 2 years and Adomah played for those shite for the last 2 years then the numbers would be much prolific for Jota. 

Adomah is 31 and his legs have gone whilst Jota's 4 years younger and not likely to lose his any time soon. I liked Albert but he's had the luxury of playing with much better players. 

• Like 2

Consolidated list to date:

SIGNED:

N/A

POSSIBLE TARGETS MENTIONED:

Kent, Hayden, Aribo, Lolley, Jota, Justin, Maupay, Tavernier, Cahill, McEachran, Arter, Gayle, Phillips, Alcaraz

LIKELY CONVERTED LOANS:

Mings, El Ghazi, Hause

OUTSIDE CHANCE LOANS:

Axel, Tammy

GONE/OUT OF CONTRACT UNLIKEY TO BE RENEWED:

Adomah, Elphick, Hutton, Jedinak, De Laat, Whelan, Bunn, Richards

NOT REQUIRED/UNCERTAIN FUTURE:

Gardner, Hogan, McCormack, Bjarnason, Nyland, Lansbury

Feel free to copy and paste to update

Edited by thunderball

17 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Last 3 seasons:

Adomah - 113 games, 21 goals, 17 assists. 

Jota - 97 games, 21 goals, 21 assists. 

Twice the player is somewhat ott but he's more efficient in terms of scoring and creating goals and I'd suspect that if Jota played for us for the last 2 years and Adomah played for those shite for the last 2 years then the numbers would be much prolific for Jota. 

Adomah is 31 and his legs have gone whilst Jota's 4 years younger and not likely to lose his any time soon. I liked Albert but he's had the luxury of playing with much better players. 

also those figures dont tell the whole story, they dont take in to account how good they are on the ball, retaining possession, intricate Deano type passing, i would bet Jota is miles above in that department.

Adomah was more of a direct winger/inside forward before his legs went, not really a "clever" player.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

To be fair I’d swap Gary Gardner for a packet of Space Raiders and a Capri Sun to be honest.

What's your thoughts on Jota mate?

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

What's your thoughts on Jota mate?

Would  be a much better fit for us than Gary Gardner. As a squad player it’s a smart move. He’s a decent player wouldnt be my first choice but swapping him plus a few mil with Gardner is no brainier. Jota would express himself under Deano again.

id like us go for Benrahma too would be a very good pick up if we got him 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

To be fair I’d swap Gary Gardner for a packet of Space Raiders and a Capri Sun to be honest.

Pickled Onion Space Raiders, obvs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Would  be a much better fit for us than Gary Gardner. As a squad player it’s a smart move. He’s a decent player wouldnt be my first choice but swapping him plus a few mil with Gardner is no brainier. Kota would express himself under Deano again.

id like us go for Benrahma too would be a very good pick up if we got him 

I know it's only one signing but it also suggests to me that promotion isn't going to change Smiths football philosophy. 

I didn't watch an awful lot of Brentford under Smith but would i be right in saying the front 3 played quite narrow rather than your typical byline hugging type winger? 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know it's only one signing but it also suggests to me that promotion isn't going to change Smiths football philosophy. 

I didn't watch an awful lot of Brentford under Smith but would i be right in saying the front 3 played quite narrow rather than your typical byline hugging type winger? 

I think you'd have to play him more centrally because he'll struggle to produce against fast fullbacks in  this league.

I think he'd do very well in a floating role surrounded by players who keep it on the floor. He's a clever player who always has his eyes up which I love.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

I think you'd have to play him more centrally because he'll struggle to produce against fast fullbacks in the this league.

I think he'd do very well in a floating role surrounded by players who keep it on the floor. He's a clever player who always has his eyes up which I love.

It why i asked about Smiths formation at Brentford mate. If Smiths idea is a narrow 3 behind a striker with fullbacks bombing forward he could work on the right of the 3 better than the traditional byline hugging type winger. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

It why i asked about Smiths formation at Brentford mate. If Smiths idea is a narrow 3 behind a striker with fullbacks bombing forward he could work on the right of the 3 better than the traditional byline hugging type winger. 

If you look at all of his Brentford stuff on youtube it seems like his best work happens in the central or "inside" forward position.

I think he'd be a better number 10 than a wing hugger.