Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

There was a rumor that we were looking for a new sporting director (or DOF, or something of this sort), and that he was to be poached form OGC Nice, or had ties to them. Anyone knows the name of that rumored person, and if it it likely he will come?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Didnt he and his brother/mate kick the living crap out of someone on a night out and that's what he got jailed for ?

Class act indeed.🤔

(This isn't a pop at you by the way - I'm just curious as to why you said that)

Jailed for affray, yes. It might be worth checking out the interview he did before the FA cup final if for no other reason just to hear a footballer speak in a way footballers simply do not speak. He covers that period, his difficult youth in Chelmsley Wood and a multitude of interesting things. I've always found him refreshingly honest and articulate and not afraid to speak his mind.

I genuinely think he is a class act, that wasn't a flippant comment. I personally despise this idea of footballers as role models for example, and when this was trotted out to Deeney during an interview once, his completely honest reaction, unafraid of the inevitable wave of criticism on social media etc., kind of confirmed to me what an unusually thoughtful footballer he is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think this? All 3 will be squad players in my opinion 

Green's control of the ball, touch and delivery are light years away from what's needed to be a premier league player. Suliman. Is he another who you want to really really hope makes it but no tangible evidence to suggest he will ? He needs to take careful consideration of where his next loan move will be because the moves he has made so far have been disasters. I dunno who is advising the kid but if he's having discussions about going out on loan again he needs to start asking the right questions before signing anything. Namely, will i play ?

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'd pay £30m for Tuanzebe if he was available. If he is available it shouldn't take that much mind, but I rate him that highly. 

I'm sure he would be flattered but doubt your his type.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Fair comment.

I've obviously watched a lot of Championship football the past few seasons hence some of the names suggested. Out of the 6 names in the starting line ups, 2 were playing premier league football last season and the other 4 will be in the future in my opinion. Now whether that is with us or at other clubs who knows but for me they all have the right ingredients to play at that level for sure.

I don't see the comparison with Ipswich, maybe when we were under Lambert and we tried the 'young & hungry' approach we may have been, but we were essentially buying cheap. Ipswich have been struggling for the past few seasons and probably needed the relegation as we did.

Whom would be your suggestions?  

Off the top of my i don't know but what i do know is we have a capable and well staffed scouting department now and i would hope that our scouting extends to leagues outside England. Some real gems in the championship yes but have to be mindful of the quality we will be playing come August as opposed to the last 3 seasons. Gayle a prime example. Tears the championship up. Not quite good enough for the premier league. I just hope we recruit the required quality needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'd like to see something like this by the end of the window;

First choice XI       Second String

Steer                       Kalinic

Guilbert                  Elmohamady

New LB                  Hause

Tuanzebe             Chester

Mings                   Schindler 

Bowen                  Murphy

Phillips                 Whelan 

McGinn                Lansbury

Grealish               Hourihane

Abraham             Maupay 

Lolley                   El Ghazi           

Other squad players or loans out;

Sarkic, Bree, Davis, O Hare, Kodjia, Green, Hepburn-Murphy

Other potential signings (or loan);

Allioski? Justin? Marriott? Mount? Tomori? Carroll? 

Sell/Release;

Nyland, Bunn, Hutton, De Laet, Taylor, Richards, McCormack, Elphick, Bjarnsson, Jedinak, Gardner, Adomah, Hogan.

I think key is keeping a good nucleus of last season's squad, adding quality first team additions, especially in wide areas, adding more youth, retaining a bit of experience & signing good characters with ambition and that are on the way up not down or here for one last pay day.

You can tell by my suggestions we've been playing in the championship a few seasons, obviously these are just suggestions which I think would make us much stronger but hoping that the scouts can pick some cheap quality foreign players up and also some decent lower league players too, whatever happens it should be an exciting summer! 

Are you MON in disguise? You only go for British based players! 😂

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This guy just scored 9 goals against Honduras. 😅 Complete madness

Sign him up maybe...

Just had to have a little look who he is and if he is related to Alfe Inge and the photos tell me he most likely is

62DD40E7-A3E4-4020-9741-A65254DDFF91.jpeg

B3623D9D-C40A-4320-BC19-3AB41A93FE33.jpeg

9 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Jailed for affray, yes. It might be worth checking out the interview he did before the FA cup final if for no other reason just to hear a footballer speak in a way footballers simply do not speak. He covers that period, his difficult youth in Chelmsley Wood and a multitude of interesting things. I've always found him refreshingly honest and articulate and not afraid to speak his mind.

This is why i like Liam Rosenoir a lot. An articulate young bloke unlike many ex pro players who grunt and mumble their way through their interviews or as pundits on tv.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stegzy said:

Just had to have a little look who he is and if he is related to Alfe Inge and the photos tell me he most likely is

62DD40E7-A3E4-4020-9741-A65254DDFF91.jpeg

B3623D9D-C40A-4320-BC19-3AB41A93FE33.jpeg

Alf Inge is his dad

Just now, mottaloo said:

This is why i like Liam Rosenoir a lot. An articulate young bloke unlike many ex pro players who grunt and mumble their way through their interviews or as pundits on tv.

I think he’ll probably be the main thing I miss about the Championship as he’s probably the best pundit I’ve ever seen. Shame he didn’t really play at the highest level as that means we won’t see him on MOTD.

• Like 2

just seen this, what does a "soft embargo" actually mean?

also....pls dont deduct us 9 points for our first season in the prem :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7088131/Championship-clubs-fear-Aston-Villa-avoid-points-deduction-breach-FFP-rules.html

"Championship clubs are concerned that the Premier League will not impose a points deduction on Aston Villa if they are found to have breached profit and sustainability rules.

Villa, who were promoted to the top flight after beating Derby County in Monday's Championship play-off final at Wembley, are among a number of clubs — Derby included — currently operating under a soft transfer embargo while the English Football League continue to assess their P and S submission.

Officials at Villa Park have insisted they will be compliant with financial fair play regulations despite reports of heavy losses."

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Yeah I've heard this is true, though unfortunately not listened to him myself yet. I think it's more the media trained autopilot bullshit we're all so tired of. Instead of ex-pro's or players' winding down their careers speaking without any real thought, insight, or care for the subject at hand - Charlie Adam anyone? - why not employ people to talk about football who really care and want to offer something, and actually need the job, like a sports journalists for example, not people simply with time to spare.

Anyway sorry to highjack the thread.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I genuinely think he is a class act, that wasn't a flippant comment. I personally despise this idea of footballers as role models for example, and when this was trotted out to Deeney during an interview once, his completely honest reaction, unafraid of the inevitable wave of criticism on social media etc., kind of confirmed to me what an unusually thoughtful footballer he is.

Come to think of it I take back what I insinuated by mentioning that he had spent time in jail, doesn't make him a bad person as such. But I thought he had some connection to Birmingham City, wasn't it something with his celebrations when he scored against us as well? Just thought he would divide the fans if he came here. 

3 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'd like to see something like this by the end of the window;

First choice XI       Second String

Steer                       Kalinic

Guilbert                  Elmohamady

New LB                  Hause

Tuanzebe             Chester

Mings                   Schindler 

Bowen                  Murphy

Phillips                 Whelan 

McGinn                Lansbury

Grealish               Hourihane

Abraham             Maupay 

Lolley                   El Ghazi           

Other squad players or loans out;

Sarkic, Bree, Davis, O Hare, Kodjia, Green, Hepburn-Murphy

Other potential signings (or loan);

Allioski? Justin? Marriott? Mount? Tomori? Carroll? 

Sell/Release;

Nyland, Bunn, Hutton, De Laet, Taylor, Richards, McCormack, Elphick, Bjarnsson, Jedinak, Gardner, Adomah, Hogan.

I think key is keeping a good nucleus of last season's squad, adding quality first team additions, especially in wide areas, adding more youth, retaining a bit of experience & signing good characters with ambition and that are on the way up not down or here for one last pay day.

You can tell by my suggestions we've been playing in the championship a few seasons, obviously these are just suggestions which I think would make us much stronger but hoping that the scouts can pick some cheap quality foreign players up and also some decent lower league players too, whatever happens it should be an exciting summer! 

If our first team looks like that for the opening game... well, at least we'll be prepared for the Championship the following season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People say we should keep the same team and just add a few key positions but the problem is we don’t own a lot of the key players. We can keep Hause, Elghazi and Mings hopefully but barely any chance of Tuanzebe and Abraham (with embargo in place). I would be very happy with Cahill ( after Chester revelation) and Milner as senior free transfers and then spending big on a LB, RW, CF and a Young DM to compete with Milner. Would also keep Whelo or/ and Jedi as I don’t think we have the squad depth to lose them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'd pay £30m for Tuanzebe if he was available. If he is available it shouldn't take that much mind, but I rate him that highly. 

You and me both.

I have said it from the day the lad walked in the door almost 2 seasons ago that he is going to be some player.

Personally, I think £15m-£20m would be the figure if we were to sign him.