Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

On 18/05/2019 at 10:23, OxfordVillan said:

The thing is, I think this current team we have is better than, or certainly equal to, the  current teams at Brighton, Southampton, Burnley, and Bournemouth. So securing the loan players we have would, for me, be 1st priority. We have a new RB coming already in Guilbert, though we don’t know his abilities as yet. I’m not convinced we’ll be able to secure Tammy given Chelsea’s transfer ban, and I think Tuanzebe will be hard to get from UTD. But we HAVE to try if we go up. I feel certain that Maupay will be the alternative to Abraham if we go up, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Barbet arrive no matter what division we’re in. Let’s just get up and then relax and enjoy the ride!

I think it’s very optimistic to say that our team is equal to or better than Brighton, Southampton, Burnley and Bournemouth. We can’t underestimate the jump in quality we will (hopefully) be facing. 

That’s not to say we can’t become a 10th-14th team, if we invest wisely and keep our best loanees, of course. I just don’t think we can assume we’re better than we probably are. Just think back to how we played while Grealish was out injured. We looked a shadow of the team we are now, but there’s no guarantees we’re going to continue on this wave of good form. If we go up, I’ll just be hopeful we can avoid relegation.

On topic: I think there will be a bit of a balancing act, between seeing which loan players are able to be signed, which aren’t, and then hopefully loaning them back again, so that we can spend bigger money on other important positions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Not sure Hourihane will cut it but think a maybe on Kodjia, thats certainly  backwards thinking..

I think regardless of league with his style of play that Hourihane will get goals and assists

• Like 1

Bournemouth, Burnley and Southampton have better squads than us. Because some fans may not be familiar with their players does not mean our squad is on par or better.

The standard of the premier league is a lot higher than it was when we was last in it.

If we get promoted next Monday. We will require a squad capable of finishing around the 15th spot or higher.

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think regardless of league with his style of play that Hourihane will get goals and assists

So do I because his shots are from outside that 18yard box in an area that shots can score goals pretty comfortably for Connor. Hourihanes shots are pretty crazy at times, they have power, curl and can easily catch keepers out.

11 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Bournemouth, Burnley and Southampton have better squads than us. Because some fans may not be familiar with their players does not mean our squad is on par or better.

The standard of the premier league is a lot higher than it was when we was last in it.

If we get promoted next Monday. We will require a squad capable of finishing around the 15th spot or higher.

That will require a good team regardless of position, wingers and strikers are positions we need to strengthen. Especially striker where our only real threat is Tammy, it simply wont do to have just one threat for the premier.

We could do with spending big on another Grealish type of player, who brings that bit of everything to a match.

Will no doubt have to try keep Tuanzebe, Hause and Mings, something Taylor will be good enough.

I think Hourihane, Mcginn and Grealish are good enough, but Whelan certainly no along with other current midfielders.

Alot of signings required, here to hoping we can bring the right signings in.

I wouldn't sell Chester. In my opinion, he's one of the few players that we own that I'm confident are good enough to be part of a Premier League squad.

Chester, McGinn, Grealish, Whelan & Elmohamady are the current AVFC players that I would say are definitely worthy of a place in a Premier League squad. I'm not saying they'd be good enough for a permanent place in the first team (Eg: Whelan would be an able back-up DM), but I would look to hold on to these players for certain.

We have others that will probably make the step up, such as Steer, Guilbert, Hourihane, Kodjia etc. But they will still have question marks over them.

Then you have the next set of players that are largely average in the Championship, so will have even bigger question marks over them if we move into the big league: Green, Taylor, Davis etc.

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I wouldn't sell Chester. In my opinion, he's one of the few players that we own that I'm confident are good enough to be part of a Premier League squad.

Chester, McGinn, Grealish, Whelan & Elmohamady are the current AVFC players that I would say are definitely worthy of a place in a Premier League squad. I'm not saying they'd be good enough for a permanent place in the first team (Eg: Whelan would be an able back-up DM), but I would look to hold on to these players for certain.

We have others that will probably make the step up, such as Steer, Guilbert, Hourihane, Kodjia etc. But they will still have question marks over them.

Then you have the next set of players that are largely average in the Championship, so will have even bigger question marks over them if we move into the big league: Green, Taylor, Davis etc.

Chester wont be happy being a squad player in the premiership and i agree with you in thats what he would be.  Hence i think he will be sold.  He definitely isnt a starter  

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Chester wont be happy being a squad player in the premiership and i agree with you in thats what he would be.  Hence i think he will be sold.  He definitely isnt a starter  

I actually think he'll be happy to play his part. Being a squad player wouldn't mean he'd just get 3-4 cup games. An injury to or a poor performance from one our first choice centre-backs could see him get a chance and a run of games (which would be more than he was getting at Baggies when he was there for a few seasons in the Prem).

I wouldn't keep Chester if we stay in the Champ, never mind go up. I just don't rate him, and we can easily replace him with loans or clever dealings. Yes, he had a good season alongside Terry - who guided him through games. Without that guidance he's a liability. Injured or not. Move on I say.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I wouldn't keep Chester if we stay in the Champ, never mind go up. I just don't rate him, and we can easily replace him with loans or clever dealings. Yes, he had a good season alongside Terry - who guided him through games. Without that guidance he's a liability. Injured or not. Move on I say.

I think that's extremely harsh. During our 3 years down here, he's been one of our most consistent performers, when fit. He also formed a good partnership with Baker, before he was flogged to make room for Terry. So, it's unfair to imply that Terry guiding him was the reason he had a good season.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2019 at 07:47, Villan4Life said:

i've had some great news last night mate. i signed all paperwork and  I am now Academy Regional (Staffordshire) Recruitment Manager for Crewe Alexandra. My first paid role in football after 2 years.

I know exactly who you rate Andy. And they are great suggestions. :)

Congratulations.....mightly pleased for you.👍

Perseverance, key....yes?

Remember your old pals at B6 if a super Jack appears on the horizon.

ps I hope you are still able to comment.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

That will require a good team regardless of position, wingers and strikers are positions we need to strengthen. Especially striker where our only real threat is Tammy, it simply wont do to have just one threat for the premier.

We could do with spending big on another Grealish type of player, who brings that bit of everything to a match.

Will no doubt have to try keep Tuanzebe, Hause and Mings, something Taylor will be good enough.

I think Hourihane, Mcginn and Grealish are good enough, but Whelan certainly no along with other current midfielders.

Alot of signings required, here to hoping we can bring the right signings in.

I think we need to sign a striker, 2 versatile wingers a dm and a left back.

I think maupay will score at a decent clip in the pl could easily finish with 15 goals with Grealish supplying him.

For wingers I'd say bowen and lolley because lolley can play as a CAM and a winger while bowen can play as a striker. Plus bowen can score loads of goals with little help giving us another attacking threat.

For Dm I'd say we try and a get a player who is quite defensive minded but has a decent long range finishing ability because you can't have a liability in the pl ideally we would get tielemanns or someone like him but that defo wont happen but hey.

I'd love for us to try and sign Ryan sessegnon from Fulham. He didn't have a great season but I think he us a competent enough defender and an excellent attacker which would be great for a lb in my opinion.

This should cost about 60 million (on top of resigning our loan players which should cost about 25-30 mil) which is doable. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I think we need to sign a striker, 2 versatile wingers a dm and a left back.

I think maupay will score at a decent clip in the pl could easily finish with 15 goals with Grealish supplying him.

For wingers I'd say bowen and lolley because lolley can play as a CAM and a winger while bowen can play as a striker. Plus bowen can score loads of goals with little help giving us another attacking threat.

For Dm I'd say we try and a get a player who is quite defensive minded but has a decent long range finishing ability because you can't have a liability in the pl ideally we would get tielemanns or someone like him but that defo wont happen but hey.

I'd love for us to try and sign Ryan sessegnon from Fulham. He didn't have a great season but I think he us a competent enough defender and an excellent attacker which would be great for a lb in my opinion.

This should cost about 60 million (on top of resigning our loan players which should cost about 25-30 mil) which is doable. 

I imagine Sessegnon will cost about £60m alone.

17 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I think it’s very optimistic to say that our team is equal to or better than Brighton, Southampton, Burnley and Bournemouth. We can’t underestimate the jump in quality we will (hopefully) be facing. 

That’s not to say we can’t become a 10th-14th team, if we invest wisely and keep our best loanees, of course. I just don’t think we can assume we’re better than we probably are. Just think back to how we played while Grealish was out injured. We looked a shadow of the team we are now, but there’s no guarantees we’re going to continue on this wave of good form. If we go up, I’ll just be hopeful we can avoid relegation.

On topic: I think there will be a bit of a balancing act, between seeing which loan players are able to be signed, which aren’t, and then hopefully loaning them back again, so that we can spend bigger money on other important positions.

I don't want to get ahead of myself ,we are not there yet,( and relegation is the first peg in the ground to avoid) but i think our people will be well aware of the gulf in quality, that's required to fill.

You need a first touch, ball control and an ability to not give the ball away cheaply, not to mention a decent pass rate and some vision, oh and some pace.....big step up.

Edited by TRO

We have absolutely no idea of either what league we are going to be in, or how much money our owners intend to invest. If we do go up, they could literally be looking to spend anything between £10m and £150m. Impossible to know!

23 minutes ago, sne said:

I imagine Sessegnon will cost about £60m alone.

You are correct. I heard he had a poor season and with Fulham going down I thought he might cost 20mil but man u are in for him so he will probably cost quite a lot

I don't know whether I like all the talk of buying players like Maupay, Lolley, Bowen etc. I get that they're good players at this level, and that they probably have the potential to be better. But this idea of picking up the better Championship players seems flawed, considering the inflated English prices, when for the same amounts you could probably get better players from European leagues.

I'm no European expert myself, so I'm useless if anyone wants an example of the type of players we should go for. But I just look at Anwar El Ghazi, who apparently can be picked up for somewhere between £3m-£6m, and I see that as a much better option than splashing £10m-£15m on a Lolley/Bowen type.

I'd be interested to see a list of Dean Smith's Walsall and Brentford signings, including their purchase prices and from where they were bought from.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1